Main Menu

Santa Track net

Started by OldGuy, December 13, 2017, 08:25:37 AM

OldGuy

This year, the Santa Track net will be held on 24 December from 1800Z to 2100Z on CAP's NRD frequency.
All CAP members with access to an NTIA-compliant HF radio are welcome to participate. A recording of the net will be uploaded to the NORAD Santa Track website.
Also, there will be three practices for the Santa Track net on 16 December, 17 December, and 23 December from 1800Z to 2100Z each day.

Geber

I'm a new member (but electronics engineer and 30+ year ham operator). Where is the official announcement of this net, if any? I'm not clear on the details, but I wouldn't have thought CAP radio could be operated casually; some sort of specific or standing authorization would be needed.

OldGuy

https://generalaviationnews.com/2016/12/13/civil-air-patrol-to-help-norad-track-santa/

Kids of all ages will be able to eavesdrop Dec. 24 as the Civil Air Patrol helps the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD) track Santa Claus.

The NORAD Santa Tracker website will provide this link, which will allow parents and children worldwide to listen to audio from CAP as they support Santa's epic journey.

Listeners will hear CAP radio operators across the country report local weather conditions and other factors that could affect Santa's flight operations and navigation. The radio messages will be addressed to North Pole Mission Base.

At least seven CAP national net control stations will be managing net operations and providing periodic updates on Santa's location. The CAP stations will begin Santa reports at 7 p.m. Eastern and 4 p.m. Pacific time. The stations will remain on the air until at least midnight.

"The HF radio systems CAP is using for the Santa Track net are an important resource," said Malcolm Kyser, CAP's chief of communications. "During emergency service and disaster relief operations when telephones and Internet may not be working, CAP's volunteers routinely use radio to report damage assessment, conduct aerial photography and perform other essential missions."

Geber

The story is nearly a year old. It refers to a website that starts with the usual https stuff, then www.noradsanta.org.
The digital certificate for that site indicates the Organization is "Analytical Graphics Inc".

Some might view this net as a communications exercise; maybe I will too. But first, I choose to view it as a cybersecurity practice.

The story indicates last year's net ran from 24 December 7 PM eastern time to at least midnight (eastern time?) But the original post says the net is 24 December 1800Z to 2100Z, which is 1300 EST to 1600 EST, or 1 PM to 4 PM. I'm not a dad, but I don't think even toddlers go to bed at 4 PM. (No disrespect intended to those who live in other time zones.)

MrsRoe

@gerber

I'm not a dad, but I don't think even toddlers go to bed at 4 PM. (No disrespect intended to those who live in other time zones.)
[/quote]

I know when my oldest was young enough to believe we turned on NORAD by dinner time (5ish) to watch where Santa was in the world. It was also a great tool for getting them to bed lol "oh look he's getting close, better go to sleep"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just a new SM and mom of a CAP kid trying to figure it out one acronym at a time

OldGuy

According to Michael Marek Information has gone to the DCs and to the NTN listserv.

Angus

Do we have any more official word yet on if we are actually working the net this year?  Still haven't heard or seen anything official.
Maj. Richard J. Walsh, Jr.
Director Education & Training MAWG 
 Gill Robb Wilson #4030

NC Hokie

Quote from: Angus on December 19, 2017, 03:19:00 PM
Do we have any more official word yet on if we are actually working the net this year?  Still haven't heard or seen anything official.

There's a Santa Tracker graphic at the bottom of https://www.capmembers.com/index.cfm, so I suppose someone in CAP is working it.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy