Main Menu

How Best To Avoid Sunburnt Marshallers

Started by ProdigalJim, July 06, 2015, 09:06:06 PM

ProdigalJim

Advice?

I sprayed 100 SPF sunblock on my arms and mostly bald head and still got pretty severe sunburn after a day on the flight line for o-rides.

Is there a CAP-preferred clip-to-cover solution, since that's the only way you can wear hats on a flight line?
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

Гугл переводчик

How often did you re-apply it? Its recommended that you re-apply sunscreen at least every 2 hours.
Former C/Maj., CAP
1st Lt., CAP
SrA, USAF                                           

A.Member

Don't use the spray-on sunblock, use the lotion type.  Also, make sure it's not expired.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

THRAWN

Reapply, use the lotion type, get out of the sun as much as possible and into shade.

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

LSThiker

Quote from: ProdigalJim on July 06, 2015, 09:06:06 PM
Advice?

I sprayed 100 SPF sunblock on my arms and mostly bald head and still got pretty severe sunburn after a day on the flight line for o-rides.

Is there a CAP-preferred clip-to-cover solution, since that's the only way you can wear hats on a flight line?

Keep your sleeves rolled down and your BDU top on (yes I know it is "hot" but it is the most effective method).

For neck/head, . 
-Make sure to continue applying sunscreen.  It should be applied 30 minutes before you enter the sun.  Also, even though it may recommend X-number of hours, apply sooner as the sweat will reduce effectiveness. 

-Although evidence suggests there is no significant difference between spray and lotion, try lotion as you may be missing key locations or amounts (see next comment). 

-Apply liberally as a common mistake is not applying enough to begin with

-If you have the bug spray/sunscreen, there is evidence that the bug spray will actually make you more prone to sunburns, which even the American Academy of Dermatology rejects their combination. 

-Use sunscreen that uses zinc oxide or titanium dioxide.  There was a recent article that was just published that shows these two are better than alternative sunscreen methods. 

-Buy new each year.  The products that protect against UVA break down fairly quickly.  So any old sunscreen may not protect you from UVA (although it should be noted that UVB is the chief cause of sunburns, but UVA still causes damage to the skin as it penetrates the furthest).

-"Base tans" do not provide any additional protection against the effects of UV light

If you wear the BBDUs, then wear a boonie.  If not, well I have known other wings that willfully violate the reg for this purpose (which I am not necessarily advocating). 

coudano

I try to avoid sunburnt marshallers by landing at airports where there aren't any marshallers working.

ProdigalJim

Good advice.

FWIW I applied the spray five times between 0930 and about 1730; I think the spray simply didn't stick. My guess is i should have used the thicker, stickier stuff.

I'm thinking a boonie, with a clip to connect it to the collar, is what we need.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/XP
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Al Sayre

You guys are overthinking this.  The best way to avoid sunburnt marshallers is to only allow them to marshal at night.   >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Phil Hirons, Jr.

Quote from: Al Sayre on July 07, 2015, 04:22:40 PM
You guys are overthinking this.  The best way to avoid sunburnt marshallers is to only allow them to marshal at night.   >:D

Almost caffeinated my keyboard.  :o

C/Cool

I would say marshal on an overcast day but I got sunburnt on a completely dark and drizzly day... Tell me how that works.
I'm sorry, did the middle of my sentence interrupt the beginning of yours?

LSThiker

Quote from: C/Cool on July 07, 2015, 05:57:09 PM

I would say marshal on an overcast day but I got sunburnt on a completely dark and drizzly day... Tell me how that works.

Because up to 80% of UV light can penetrate cloud cover.  Then if you are on a concrete surface, the concrete can reflect UV light.  It is a myth that you cannot be sunburned on cloudy or even rainy days. 

LSThiker

Because they are going to be looking for Army guys

Shawn W.

Check with your Commander and see if they will authorize head gear for use on the flight line for that particular day.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Shawn W. on July 08, 2015, 12:23:03 AM
Check with your Commander and see if they will authorize head gear for use on the flight line for that particular day.

I have to respectfully disagree here.

Head gear is not authorized on the flight line near operated aircraft for safety reasons, to both the individual, others in the vicinity, and the aircraft itself. I don't think that's something that should be exempted by chain of command because it's an inconvenience.

Reapplication of sunscreen if it's a problem, but wearing unauthorized gear because it's easier isn't the proper way to go about it. Just my opinion as a novice flight line-er and civilian pilot.

LSThiker

Quote from: SM/McNeilly on July 09, 2015, 09:09:32 PM
Head gear is not authorized on the flight line near operated aircraft for safety reasons, to both the individual, others in the vicinity, and the aircraft itself. I don't think that's something that should be exempted by chain of command because it's an inconvenience.

Reapplication of sunscreen if it's a problem, but wearing unauthorized gear because it's easier isn't the proper way to go about it. Just my opinion as a novice flight line-er and civilian pilot.

While generally not advised, but that is not to say it is prohibited either.  It is usually a command decision, assuming the airport manager allows it to be begin with:

A picture from NBB:

lordmonar

+1
That it is SOP on USAF bases does not mean it makes sense.   Lots of busy airports allow them.  So it is not really a safety issue. 
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

HGjunkie

Quote from: lordmonar on July 09, 2015, 09:56:14 PM
+1
That it is SOP on USAF bases does not mean it makes sense.   Lots of busy airports allow them.  So it is not really a safety issue.

And there are even exceptions on USAF bases... the USAFA airfield instructors wear hats all the time and let cadets wear them. So.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jeders

Quote from: SM/McNeilly on July 09, 2015, 09:09:32 PM

That is by no means a universal rule and is entirely up to whoever owns the ramp. In fact, I've seen more places where headgear is authorized than not.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Shawn W.

That is by no means a universal rule and is entirely up to whoever owns the ramp. In fact, I've seen more places where headgear is authorized than not.

+1

I used to be a professional marshaller on the ramp of a very busy international airport.. I and other ramp agents wore hats all the time.