Uniform poll-- Aircrew Uniforms

Started by RiverAux, May 20, 2007, 02:48:59 AM

What uniform is worn most often by aircrews on missions (actual/practice) in your area?

AF Flight Suit
56 (70%)
CAP Flight Suit
5 (6.3%)
Gray pants/blue shirt
17 (21.3%)
BDUs (CAP or AF)
0 (0%)
Other (including gray pant/white shirt AF Service Dress, TPU)
2 (2.5%)

Total Members Voted: 80

CFI_Ed

This thread is now squawking 7500 :D
Ed Angala, Lt Col, CAP
Oklahoma Wing/DO

lordmonar

Quote from: jimmydeanno on May 24, 2007, 01:29:58 AM
Quote from: lordmonar on May 23, 2007, 11:31:08 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on May 23, 2007, 11:13:32 AMUsing FAA standard weight per person (170 pounds),

Well there's your problem....the FAA standard is only about 30 years out of date.  Our pilots usually use 190 or 200 as a standard when you consider people&gear.

must be nice...I can't remember the last time we were able to have a scanner in the back seat because the pilot and the observer used up the weight... :-\

I'm not saying its anything bad....I weigh in at 180lbs dry...add my survival gear, binoculars, digital camera, knee board, task guide, gridded maps, headset, a couple of bottles of water and I am well over the 170 FAA rule of thumb.....and I'm not even that over weight (I should be about 150-160.).

If the FAA is still teaching 170lb per person...then it is no wonder we have so many overloaded accidents.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

sardak

FAA Advisory Circular AC120-27E, published in June, 2005 has these weights to be used by commercial and charter aircraft.  Aircraft with fewer than 5 seats must use actual passenger and baggage weights.

Average adult male 200 lbs. summer, 205 lbs. winter
Average adult female 179 lbs. summer, 184 lbs. winter
These include a 16 lb. allowance for carry-on baggage.

Average flight crewmember 190 lbs., 240 lbs. with bags
Male flight attendant 180/220 lbs.
Female flight attendant 160/200 lbs.
Flight crewmember weights were derived from the weights listed on all first and second class medical certificates.

The Coast Guard released a study on passenger weights in March of this year.  USCG is trying to determine reasonable weights for boat and ship pax.  Currently the recommended weight is 185 lbs. though the official average passenger weight is 160 lbs.

In the technical rescue world, a single climber (i.e. the "patient") is assumed to weigh 176 lbs. (80 kg), a rescue technician 220 lbs. (100 kg) and a fully "encumbered" firefighter 300 lbs. (136 kg).

Mike

Hawk200

Guess I'm a little behind. Thanks for the info, it will come in handy.

Come to think of it, I'm shooting for the observer qual. Does the observer do any weight/ balance, or is that left primarily to the pilot?

ColonelJack

Glad I earned my observer wings back before I got ... vertically challenged.  I doubt they'd even let me near an aircraft these days.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

davedove

Quote from: Pylon on May 23, 2007, 12:38:02 PM
Quote from: ddelaney103 on May 23, 2007, 01:55:40 AM
Fortunately, the PFD's were blue, so they didn't clash with the Mess Dress...

I know there's a story there...   :o

I don't know about his story, but I have heard there were a couple of officers who flew in mess dress, just to do it.  After all, the regs only say a CAP uniform has to be worn.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

davedove

Quote from: Dragoon on May 21, 2007, 02:48:31 PM
The golf shirt is indeed really popular. And it has resulted in a brand new attitude toward CAP.

I was out an an airport with my Observer trainee, each of us in the blue field uniform.  We were passed by an airport flight instructor who said "Oh, you're Civil Air Patrol.  I had no idea you guys had ranks!"

He knew what CAP was.  He just had no clue were were at all military, as he'd only seen golf-shirted members.

I would be a lot happier with the golf shirt if it was mandatory to have you name and grade embroidered on it.

In some situations the lack of grade is a benefit.  If you have the situation where a person with lower grade in manning a higher ranked position, then people can focus on the position instead of the grade.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

ColonelJack

Quote from: davedove on May 24, 2007, 01:22:35 PM
I don't know about his story, but I have heard there were a couple of officers who flew in mess dress, just to do it.  After all, the regs only say a CAP uniform has to be worn.

And if they'd gone down, that would've been a real ... no, even I won't go that low just for a laugh.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

LTC_Gadget

Not to take the current thread drift off-track, but in case anyone's interested, there's a new notice of a navy blue flight suit on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180121803142&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

I think it's a 44Long..

Now, back to your current track...

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.