Blue Lightweight Jacket in Civilian clothes

Started by ASLFirefighter, September 05, 2018, 09:39:02 PM

ASLFirefighter

I am a male cadet in the Arizona wing and I have a question. I was wondering if I would be allowed to wear my blue lightweight jacket outside of a cap event of function in civilian clothes. (Ex. School, park, etc.) I have looked in 39-1, but I can't find anything in the regulations that specifies on not wearing it in civilian clothes or not.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

I_Am_Twigs

There's a cadet in my squadron that cut the USAF logo embroidery off and wears it to school, and throws pins on then comes to a meeting. I personally don't really see a problem with it, as long as the embroidery is cut off.

An another note a sweater like this is a way better choice IMO
https://www.amazon.com/Civil-Patrol-Pullover-Hoodie-Sweatshirt/dp/B01N8QDBMA/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1536186892&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=civil+air+patrol+pullover+sweatshirt&dpPl=1&dpID=51Cb9CtPYJL&ref=plSrch
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Shawn W.

Why are you considering wearing this item for other than it's inteded use? Will it bring respect to the uniform or detriment? While I have seen no document that prohibits this with this item, please consider your intent and how it might affect the organization(s) that this item represents. Also consider that it may create additional wear and tear to that item and you may end of having to replace much sooner than anticipated.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on September 05, 2018, 11:08:52 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 05, 2018, 10:12:12 PM
No.

cite please.

If you're random Joe "bought it at a garage sale" then it means nothing to you and
do as you will, since there isn't really any organization to care.

When you're a member, its a uniform item, and the regs apply, which means it can't be worn
except at authorized CAP activities.

"That Others May Zoom"

I_Am_Twigs

Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2018, 01:13:12 AM
No.

cite please.

If you're random Joe "bought it at a garage sale" then it means nothing to you and

When you're a member, its a uniform item, and the regs apply, which means it can't be worn

That wasn't a cite...

I don't recall regs saying that you can't wear a uniform item such as a jacket or a coat as long as you don't have name tapes or insignia on it.
Now if you have something like a name tape, organization tape, rank insignia, or patches (wing, org, group) then it becomes a problem.

If I've missed something let me know please, I don't want to get in trouble for wearing my fleece in public (yes the CAP stuff is removed).  ::)
C/Maj, CAP
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen." --Winston Churchill

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Jester

Quote from: I_Am_Twigs on September 06, 2018, 01:26:50 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 06, 2018, 01:13:12 AM
No.

cite please.

That wasn't a cite...

I don't recall regs saying that you can't wear a uniform item such as a jacket or a coat as long as you don't have name tapes or insignia on it.
Now if you have something like a name tape, organization tape, rank insignia, or patches (wing, org, group) then it becomes a problem.

If I've missed something let me know please, I don't want to get in trouble for wearing my fleece in public (yes the CAP stuff is removed).  ::)

6.1.3. Lightweight Blue Jacket. (Figure 6.3)
6.1.3.1. Will only be worn with USAF-style service uniforms.

The other end of it is if it a regulation doesn't specifically authorize something, it's unauthorized. 

TheSkyHornet

It would kind of be like wearing a fleece or field jacket outside of CAP activities.

If there aren't any nametapes or insignia items on it, I don't see much of an issue. But it may look funky.

Although, there is that point made previously about it being a uniform item to you as a CAP member. But that's grey matter at best.

I like the lightweight jacket. I'd wear it as a windbreaker if it didn't have the epaulets on it to make it look odd.

ASLFirefighter

I would like to say thank you to all of your input on my situation. After careful thought, I think that it would be best if I don't wear my lightweight jacket in public with the patches, rank insignia, and cutout. Thank all of you again for your input and help. I have never found a forum website where you get so many replies within such a short period of time.

Eclipse

One thing this place has is "replies" in fast abundance.

Quote from: ASLFirefighter on September 06, 2018, 04:27:08 PM
I would like to say thank you to all of your input on my situation. After careful thought, I think that it would be best if I don't wear my lightweight jacket in public with the patches, rank insignia, and cutout. Thank all of you again for your input and help. I have never found a forum website where you get so many replies within such a short period of time.

What "patches and cutout" are you wearing?

As a cadet, you only wear grade:

"6.1.3.2.2. Cadet officers will wear regular or miniature size metal rank insignia on
the jacket epaulet. Cadet NCOs and Airmen will wear metal chevrons on the jacket collar. Cadet airmen
basic wear no collar insignia."

"That Others May Zoom"

ASLFirefighter

-The wing patch on the left shoulder
-Rank insignia on the right collar
-C.A.P. cutout on the left collar

39-1

. Grade Insignia: Senior member officers wear embroidered grade insignia on gray epaulet sleeve.
Senior member, NCOs and Airmen wear embroidered grade insignia on gray epaulet sleeve or
3-, 3 1/2-, or 4-inch (women) and 4-inch (men) cloth chevrons on sleeve. Cadet officers wear
regular size metal grade insignia on epaulet. Cadet NCOs and airmen wear metal chevrons on right
jacket collar.
2. CAP Lapel/Collar Insignia: Senior and cadet members without grade and senior member NCOs
wearing chevrons on the sleeve wear highly polished metal CAP cutouts on both sides of jacket
collar. Cadet NCOs and airmen wear cutouts on left side of collar.
3. Wing/Region/National Shoulder Patch: Worn 1/2 inch below the shoulder seam of the left sleeve
centered on epaulet.
Figure 2-22. Men and Women's Lightweight Blue Jackets

Eclipse

You are referencing a >very< old copy of CAPM 39-1.

Wing patches have not been worn on blues for over 10 years.
only grade is worn on the jacket in the configuration shown above.

This is the current version, my reference above is from Page 78.
https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/M391_E6F33EAAEC28A.pdf

Are others in your squadron wearing wing patches on blues?

"That Others May Zoom"

ASLFirefighter

Nor myself or people in my squadron are wearing wing patches on there blues. I apologize for the out of date regulations. I just accidentally clicked on the wrong link. Thank you for the link to the correct regulations. I normally look at the 2018 regulations. it was just this time that I got mixed up. thank you.

Eclipse

Roger - NHQ leaving old regs in the CMS with no indication of their being
retired has been an ongoing problem.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sapper168

16  posts and this hasn't been moved to the uniform section where it should have been to begin with.   >:D >:D
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

SarDragon

Quote from: Sapper168 on September 07, 2018, 03:21:27 AM
16  posts and this hasn't been moved to the uniform section where it should have been to begin with.   >:D >:D

Well, since you asked nicely - done.

Howzat for service?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

xray328

How's this any different than wearing stripped down bdu's paintballing?  I wear my bdu gortex without the rank tab all the time.

Eclipse

An argument could be made that it's not and shouldn't be, but at least in that situation
many other participants are dressed in a similar manner, so the garment doesn't stand out.

In the case of the USAF Members-Only jacket it's not of a current style, has somewhat of
a formal cut, and would definitely stand out in most circumstances, especially with cadets.

I've been stuck with the black Navy version since it was retired by CAP.  It was and still
would be the perfect jacket for wear with the whites, but that would be inappropriate and
on the same border as a brown leather A2, and I can't imagine wearing it
with civilian dress, so it's been in the garment bag since the sundown.

Sidenote - I learned two things in regards to the BLJ / Members-Only jacket.

1 - CAP members can have the Corporate Seal embroidered on the BLJ if they so choose.

2 - Members-Only still exists.

"That Others May Zoom"