White on Aquamarine Military Badges

Started by Timbeau, February 05, 2010, 02:52:34 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on January 27, 2012, 03:47:56 PM
I can't find it in 26-2903....but I have seen a lot of AD/AFRES types wear their Navy Jump wings and Navy Aircrew and aviator wings.

Remember back when two IL ANG F-16 pilots mistakenly dropped a bomb in A-stan that tragically killed some of our Canadian allies who were holding a live-fire exercise?

I think one of them must have been a Naval Aviator, because on the news story where he was going for some sort of hearing (Art. 32?) I saw him wearing Navy wings on his service dress.  I think it was between his ribbon rack and USAF wings, though it could have been on the right side.

Maybe he got some sort of special dispensation from his state AG?  I don't know.

Oh...and I agree 100% that mixing subdued and blue/white insignia on BDU's looks bad, especially when in most cases B/W is authorised and available.

Now if we could just go with the darker navy blue...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Naval Academy Grad and Top Gun (and Red Flag) instructor prior to the ANG.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RogueLeader

No name plate? ???  I demand that they make the ANG distinctive as the senior officers can't properly wear the uniform.  >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 28, 2012, 12:24:20 AM
No name plate? ???  I demand that they make the ANG distinctive as the senior officers can't properly wear the uniform.  >:D
2002 - pre nameplate

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Nameplate was still optional until 2003 for service dress.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Flying Pig

Spaceman3750

Quote from: CyBorg on January 27, 2012, 11:56:05 PM
I can't find it in 26-2903....but I have seen a lot of AD/AFRES types wear their Navy Jump wings and Navy Aircrew and aviator wings.

Remember back when two IL ANG F-16 pilots mistakenly dropped a bomb in A-stan that tragically killed some of our Canadian allies who were holding a live-fire exercise?

I think one of them must have been a Naval Aviator, because on the news story where he was going for some sort of hearing (Art. 32?) I saw him wearing Navy wings on his service dress.  I think it was between his ribbon rack and USAF wings, though it could have been on the right side.

Maybe he got some sort of special dispensation from his state AG?  I don't know.

Oh...and I agree 100% that mixing subdued and blue/white insignia on BDU's looks bad, especially when in most cases B/W is authorised and available.

That guy was a member of the local ANG unit (before they lost the flying mission) at the time of the incident. I felt bad for all involved.

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on January 27, 2012, 11:56:05 PM

FYI: The TAG can not authorize any uniform items. That is reserved for the NGB. And they guard that privilage very closely.

stillamarine

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 28, 2012, 01:44:16 AM
http://www.afsoc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/070530-F-8732E-042.jpg

Combat Controller wearing Naval Parachutist Wings and USMC Combatant Diver Badge

What's really interesting is here is wearing regular senior parachutist wings and naval parachutist wings. He had to have been 0321before he went AF.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

stillamarine

Yet he is wearing what appears to be the USMC Combatant Diver Badge which wasn't issued until 2006. Prior to that we wore the regular Naval Scuba Badge.
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

GroundHawg

Quote from: stillamarine on January 28, 2012, 05:16:40 AM
Yet he is wearing what appears to be the USMC Combatant Diver Badge which wasn't issued until 2006. Prior to that we wore the regular Naval Scuba Badge.

My thought is that maybe he was just presented these wings and thats where they pinned them? Otherwise he is wearing a unathorized badge. (not out of the realms of possiblities)

On the USMC Combatant Diver Badge, I thought I heard that only HMs and USMC were awarded these and he is wearing a USMC Reserve Good Conduct Medal, so he is prob prior service USMC Recon Reserve Unit or a ANGLICO Reserve unit.

Also note, there are no stars on his campain medals (they cannot be worn bare, if you have the medal you have at least one star)

The CyBorg is destroyed

It's hard to keep all that straight as to what is allowed and what isn't.

I have seen US personnel wearing Canadian jump wings:

...and German:

...presumably earned on exchange tours, and no doubt from other nations too.

If the actual military has trouble keeping straight what is allowed and what isn't, I'm sure that we of CAP, with our full-of-holes-as-Gruyere 39-1,  have an even worse time.  I have even seen an ex-Army CAP officer wearing a German Bundesheer silver/grey shoulder aiguilette...looks sharp, but I have no idea as to whether or not it's within regs, and since I don't know, I don't feel right trying to call him on it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

GroundHawg

Quote from: CyBorg on January 28, 2012, 05:53:44 PM
It's hard to keep all that straight as to what is allowed and what isn't.

I have seen US personnel wearing Canadian jump wings:

...and German:

...presumably earned on exchange tours, and no doubt from other nations too.

If the actual military has trouble keeping straight what is allowed and what isn't, I'm sure that we of CAP, with our full-of-holes-as-Gruyere 39-1,  have an even worse time.  I have even seen an ex-Army CAP officer wearing a German Bundesheer silver/grey shoulder aiguilette...looks sharp, but I have no idea as to whether or not it's within regs, and since I don't know, I don't feel right trying to call him on it.

Soldiers are allowed one foreign badge, the aiguillete is prob the shutzenshur (sp?) the german marksmanship cord (I got silver in Bosnia in 99) Since I have a few foreign badges and wings I sent an email to KB they said to follow USAF rule which would be we can wear one foreign badge or cord but only while in the foreign country that awarded it. They also stated that parachute wings are not aviation badges. So unless you are on IACE in that country, no foreign badges can be worn on a CAP uniform. You can wear foreign ribbons, and they go dead last behind all other ribbons.
This is yet another issue that I think should be changed. With as many prior service and foriegn members that are in CAP or will be joining, CAP would be well served to allow them the option to wear what they have earned.

abdsp51

Actually the Afghan and Iraqi campaign medals were initially awarded and worn without campaign stars.  It wasn't until 2007/08 that the stars came into play. 

Flying Pig

Well, no doubt he started his career as a Marine reservist.  At any rate it shows the badges are authorized for wear on the USAF uniform.

abdsp51

umm I'm not seeing any more badge in the pics have they been changed?

Oops wrong pic. 

abdsp51

Taking another look at that one of the controller he's missing the GCM.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 28, 2012, 09:34:54 PM
Well, no doubt he started his career as a Marine reservist.  At any rate it shows the badges are authorized for wear on the USAF uniform.

No, it means that the Combat Controller in the pic is wearing an unauthorized uniform item. I have no doubt that he has earned it and should be able to wear his Navy Jump Wings, but they are not allowed for wear by the USAF.