White on Aquamarine Military Badges

Started by Timbeau, February 05, 2010, 02:52:34 AM

Timbeau

Hi all

New guy here.

I'm prior service Army, and am looking for a place where I can purchase Basic Parachutist and Air Assault badges in white on aquamarine cloth. Can one of you folks here point me in the right direction?

Much thanks

lordmonar

oops broken link.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

There's a few places, depending on what you need. Williams & Williams, BattleZone, a few others.

What badges are you looking for?

Stonewall

Like this?

Spur Name Tapes 1800nametapes.com.   They look identical to the standard military badges.  Just call them and tell them exactly what you want, "white on ultramarine blue Airborne and Air Assault".  Again, they perfectly done and only at $2 a set.
Serving since 1987.

Timbeau

Perfect! I knew you guys would come through. I'll order them immediately.

Thanks, guys...

TACP

These are great! Thanks for the info Stonewall.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Timbeau

Quote from: MIKE on February 05, 2010, 03:53:12 AM
It's actually ultramarine blue.

I just saw that in my 'Uniforms' section of the Foundations course and was coming here to correct my mistake, but you beat me to it. I guess one has to be quick around here.

Thanks again...

flyguy06

I wear white on blue jumpwings as well.

DakRadz

P.S. Subdued military badges are authorized for BDUs. Just in case you really want to wear them while you wait for the new ones to ship. Or if you don't like the look of ultramarine blue.

DC

Quote from: DakRadz on July 29, 2010, 05:47:29 PM
P.S. Subdued military badges are authorized for BDUs. Just in case you really want to wear them while you wait for the new ones to ship. Or if you don't like the look of ultramarine blue.
Cite please?

DakRadz

Quote from:  CAPM 39-1 PAGE 326. Military Aviation Badges: Embroidered (subdued or white on blue), centered 1/2 inch below the CAP
aviation badge above left breast pocket

Page 32, Bullet number 6. Page 33 has it as well for the M-65 field jacket

Quote from:  CAPM 39-1 PAGE 336. Military Aviation Badges: Embroidered (subdued or white on blue), centered 1/2 inch below the CAP

Same wording, but just so you can see.

DC

Quote from: DakRadz on July 29, 2010, 05:52:17 PM
Quote from:  CAPM 39-1 PAGE 326. Military Aviation Badges: Embroidered (subdued or white on blue), centered 1/2 inch below the CAP

Quote from:  CAPM 39-1 PAGE 336. Military Aviation Badges: Embroidered (subdued or white on blue), centered 1/2 inch below the CAP

You learn something new everyday... Thanks!

DakRadz

I just made a whole lot of prior/current service Volunteers very happy, didn't I?

:D

I actually wanted to check this because our AD USAF Capt was wearing subdued wings (A-10 pilot) on his CAP BDUs... He's a nice guy and all, but I wanted to see if it was in regs (plus I would never have seen him again, most likely)- more of a "for future reference" deal.

You're all welcome, and that'll be a small fee of 4.99 USD for services rendered ;D

N Harmon

Quote from: DakRadz on July 29, 2010, 05:52:17 PM

Are Airborne and Air Assault badges considered Military Aviation Badges?
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

DakRadz

Well, now...

For the CAP badges, this is the note:

Quote from: CAPM 39-1 PAGE 32CAP Aviation Badges and Specialty Insignia: Embroidered, worn 1/2 inch above the cloth “Civil Air Patrol”
tape worn over the left breast pocket. If both devices are worn, aviation badges should be 1/2 inch above
specialty insignia.

So it addresses specialty insignia. Now, there is nothing I can find addressing military badges other than the quote in my other post; however, I am led to believe (I don't know where the regulation is) that Air Assault and Airborne (along with certain others from the various services) badges are indeed authorized for wear.

So they are authorized, but not addressed?

If they ARE in the Aviation category, disregard.

NIN

There has been, in the past, some question as to the Bullwinkle Badge on the CAP uniform. 

In the USAF, you can't wear Air Assault on the AF uniform unless you're assigned to an Army unit (ie. TACPs, that sort of thing).  So if you get assigned the 101st as a TACP, and you've been to "Dope on a Rope" school, you can wear it for the duration of your assignment there. If your follow on assignment is with the 9251st Special Tactics and Messkit Repair Group out of Slackwater AFB, AR, well, off comes the AAB.

Jump wings are a different matter, since USAF personnel go to BAS & the USAFA jump course regardless of their potential for assignment to an Army unit, and are thus worn on the AF uniform.

Paragraph  6-7 of the 39-1 says that only those US Military badges which are authorized for wear on the USAF uniform may be worn on the CAP uniform, and to refer to table 6-5 for a list of those badges.   Then we find that table 6-5 does list the AAB, so as far as 39-1 goes, the AAB, and others as listed, such as jumpwings and other service's aviation badges and specialty insignias, are cool.  That guidance is somewhat contrary to the USAF guidance on the wear of that particular badge, but hey, thats what our manual says.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

kd8gua

It's interesting that the 39-1 only allows for wear of USAF-acceptable badges, but allows for wear of military ribbons from any AD branch. One of my old squadron commanders, back a number of years ago, was a former Navy fighter pilot in Vietnam. He wore all of his Navy decorations, as well as his Navy wings. I don't recall his BDU set up, but his blues most certainly had a pair of gold wings. Does this mean he shouldn't be wearing Navy wings, but is allowed to wear Navy ribbons (on blues)?

Seems odd to give a nod to one aspect of a person's military training, but not another... Hmm.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

DakRadz

Upon transferring branches, anyone can wear their ribbons from any service in whatever their new service is.
i.e. an enlisted soldier going through AFROTC could wear his prior Army ribbons (though unit awards [the big ones that go over the nametag] I'm not sure about). So we are doing the same as the USAF (and every other branch) in that regard.

As far as the wings, not sure. But considering he was a Navy pilot, fairly easy to just get civilian rated.

Pylon

Quote from: NIN on July 29, 2010, 06:55:33 PM
In the USAF, you can't wear Air Assault on the AF uniform unless you're assigned to an Army unit (ie. TACPs, that sort of thing).  So if you get assigned the 101st as a TACP, and you've been to "Dope on a Rope" school, you can wear it for the duration of your assignment there. If your follow on assignment is with the 9251st Special Tactics and Messkit Repair Group out of Slackwater AFB, AR, well, off comes the AAB.

Jump wings are a different matter, since USAF personnel go to BAS & the USAFA jump course regardless of their potential for assignment to an Army unit, and are thus worn on the AF uniform.

Paragraph  6-7 of the 39-1 says that only those US Military badges which are authorized for wear on the USAF uniform may be worn on the CAP uniform, and to refer to table 6-5 for a list of those badges.   Then we find that table 6-5 does list the AAB, so as far as 39-1 goes, the AAB, and others as listed, such as jumpwings and other service's aviation badges and specialty insignias, are cool.  That guidance is somewhat contrary to the USAF guidance on the wear of that particular badge, but hey, thats what our manual says.

It would appear the latest Air Force uniform board authorized permanent wear of the Air Assault badge on the AF BDU uniform at least, rescinding the previously-standing stipulation that it can only be worn while assigned to Army units.
Link

And excerpt:
Quote2) AUTHORIZE PERMANENT WEAR OF BLACK U.S. ARMY AIR ASSAULT BADGE ON THE BDU, REGARDLESS OF DUTY ASSIGNMENT, UPON GRADUATION FROM AIR ASSAULT SCHOOL

Since CAP's policy on military badges is almost essentially "what the Air Force allows on its uniforms", this would extend to CAP.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

NIN

Quote from: kd8gua on July 29, 2010, 07:21:32 PM
It's interesting that the 39-1 only allows for wear of USAF-acceptable badges, but allows for wear of military ribbons from any AD branch. One of my old squadron commanders, back a number of years ago, was a former Navy fighter pilot in Vietnam. He wore all of his Navy decorations, as well as his Navy wings. I don't recall his BDU set up, but his blues most certainly had a pair of gold wings. Does this mean he shouldn't be wearing Navy wings, but is allowed to wear Navy ribbons (on blues)?

Seems odd to give a nod to one aspect of a person's military training, but not another... Hmm.

IIRC, Navy wings fall under the category of "US Military Badges" as defined in 6-5 (not just USAF badges, but any US military badges)

The relevant portion of 39-1, para 6-7
Quote6-7. US Military Badges. CAP members may wear only the US military badges authorized for wear
on the US Air Force uniform when earned through qualification and awarded by competent authority for
service performed in any branch of the Armed Forces of the United States or its allies. The military
badges authorized for wear on the CAP uniform and BDU are listed in Table 6-5.

At which point table 6-5 says, in part:
Quote1    US Military Aeronautical Badges

You will note it does not make a distinction by service. US Military Aeronautical Badges.  I wore Army Aircrew wings under this very same codicil.  US Naval aviator wings fall into the same category.

Now, certain other categories of badges aren't authorized, particularly if they're not allowed on the USAF uniform. For example, I don't know if a Navy SEAL trident is authorized on the USAF uniform, or, say, some kind of an EOD badge or something.  Not _every_ badge from another service is authorized.  Like, maybe, Army Pathfinder or something.

As far as ribbons go, that falls under Chapter 5, which says, in part:

Quote5-4. Military Service Awards. Military service ribbons may be worn on the CAP AF-style uniform
provided they were awarded in writing by competent military authority. Awards of the Air Force,
Army, Navy, Marine Corps, or Coast Guard will be worn in the order prescribed by the awarding
service, subject to the following: In all cases of relative priority, Air Force awards will take precedence.
See Table 5-3. Awards for wars, campaigns, expeditions etc., will be worn in chronological sequence.

So that should about cover the ribbons situation, Navy or otherwise.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

arajca

Quote from: DakRadz on July 29, 2010, 07:29:13 PM
Upon transferring branches, anyone can wear their ribbons from any service in whatever their new service is.
i.e. an enlisted soldier going through AFROTC could wear his prior Army ribbons (though unit awards [the big ones that go over the nametag] I'm not sure about). So we are doing the same as the USAF (and every other branch) in that regard.
If he was a member of the unit when the unit award was awarded, he cold wear it. If not, he cannot. Additionally, he would need to wear the AF form, not the Army form, in the proper AF location.

DakRadz

Much appreciated. Army and Marine Corps issues are not my forte.

Okay, so since NIN provided the extra information clarifying the issue, each happy prior/current service member may PayPal us each 2.50 USD.
Seriously. I'll be waiting on that payment.
How else do you get the elusive "1" to appear in the zeros of a CAP paycheck? ;)

Any remarks on whether Airborne and AA badges are Aviation badges? We see from your earlier post they are indeed allowed, but would they qualify for subdued?
Or perhaps since they are allowed but not regulated they can be subdued by default?

NIN

I didn't cite the BDU badge part, but yes, subdued is authorized.

Personally, I was never a fan of mixing subdued insignia and colored insignia, so at my first opportunity I found "white on OD" Army Aircrew wings (Vietnam War stuff).  I wore those for years until I finally got off my duff and had white-on-ultramarine aircrew wings made by Spur.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: DakRadz on July 29, 2010, 07:29:13 PM
Not completely true. I was prior Air Force, and there are ribbons that are expressly forbidden for wear on my Army uniform in AR 670-1. The same applies to various badges across the services, not all are allowed on any other uniform.

DakRadz

Aaaaaaaand smacked down! Should have looked it up... But the Army isn't my forte, as I said.

May I ask what ribbons, out of curiosity?

Hawk200

Quote from: DakRadz on July 30, 2010, 02:38:24 AM
Aaaaaaaand smacked down! Should have looked it up... But the Army isn't my forte, as I said.

May I ask what ribbons, out of curiosity?
Marksmanship and Longevity ribbons. Air Force specialty badges (AFSC specific) are also specifically forbidden.

All the various service uniform manuals are available on the web. Just Google or Yahoo! I've got uniform pubs for every Uniformed Service, and read them all at one time or another.

cpyahoo

I have a senior member who just joined that is retired Army and he was asking about all the Army "career mover" badges he was authorized to wear.  I always use the "Air Force" rule.  "If it's authorized for wear on a US Air Force uniform, then it's danged sure authorized on the CAP uniform!"  I found him the USAF subdued Parachutist (with bronze combat jump star), Air Assault, Pathfinder and... AND... a full color 1960s mint condition Combat Infantryman's Badge! 
     And I don't want to hear any crap about how only USAF TACPs can wear it when assigned to Army units. I verified everything with current USAF uniform regs and have friends in Security Forces wearing ALL the above!  (Yes, including the CIB!)

cpyahoo

Oh... and I think it's crap that senior members who earned their Ranger tab or Special Forces tab can't wear them on their CAP uniform.  It's authorized on the USAF uniform, I don't see why they can't wear it on a CAP uniform?

abdsp51

Per AFI36-2903 (18 July 11)

10.5.1.1. Combat Infantry, Combat Medical and Combat Action Badge. Wear only while permanently assigned to and performing duties with sister services components. Note: Combat Infantry, Combat Medical and Combat Action badges are not authorized on ABU.

10.5.1.1.1. Permanent assignment denotes non TDY status. This applies to other badges or patches i.e., Army Combat patches earned or awarded by sister service components.

10.5.1.1.2. Upon Permanent Change of Station (PCS) to an Air Force unit, member will remove all sister service patches. OPR is Sister Service Directive; Army MilPERCEN; Navy; BUPERS etc.

10.5.1.2. Pathfinder Badge and Ranger Tab. Wear only while permanently assigned to and performing duties with sister services components.

Tabs and other badges are not authorized outside of sister service assignments. 

Eclipse

Quote from: cpyahoo on January 27, 2012, 01:59:41 PM
Oh... and I think it's crap that senior members who earned their Ranger tab or Special Forces tab can't wear them on their CAP uniform.  It's authorized on the USAF uniform, I don't see why they can't wear it on a CAP uniform?

Let me guess, the barrista threw in the extra shot for free this AM?

"That Others May Zoom"

stillamarine

So does this mean I have to stop wearing my gold jump wings?  :-[ what about scuba bubble?
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

cpyahoo

cpyahoo

No more combat badge for being an armed bell ringer with the Militant Branch of the Salvation Army!

abdsp51

No coffee yet, just wanted to make that the entire thing grabbed the eye.  Personally I think its xxxx certain items can't be worn when earned and documented.  I have three combat patches and they basically sit in a bag in a box until I can properly display them. 

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Quote from: cpyahoo on January 27, 2012, 01:59:41 PM

Ranger and SF tabs have never been authorized on a CAP uniform or a USAF uniform.  You cant even wear those tabs in other branches of the military outside of the Army.  The only AF guys I have ever seen wearing Ranger or Airborne tabs are TACPs or AF guys assigned to Army units.  Once they leave those Army units, they come off.

As far as GOld jump wings and a bubble, you can wear those.  Actually though, I think you would actually have to wear the basic parachutist unless you qualified for Senior or Master parachutist.

lordmonar

Quote from: stillamarine on January 27, 2012, 02:24:56 PM
So does this mean I have to stop wearing my gold jump wings?  :-[ what about scuba bubble?

Quote10.5.1.5. Scuba Badge. Is authorized for wear, when awarded. Not authorized on ABUs. OPR is AF/A3.

I can't find it in 26-2903....but I have seen a lot of AD/AFRES types wear their Navy Jump wings and Navy Aircrew and aviator wings.

GroundHawg

Scuba is authorized, Navy Para Wings are not, you have to wear the "basic" para wings. The USAF does not allow the Gold Wings to be worn, and as such, CAP does not. I earned the Navy wings and hated that I couldnt wear them. They look good in my shadow box though!

As for the others I sent a lengthy email to national and KB about the double standard that exists. CAP specifically allows for the CIB and CMB. The USAF allows these and the Pathfinder torch, EIB, etc.. but you have to be attached to an Army unit. I asked that since the CIB and CMB were authorized, even though CAP will never be attached to an Army unit, could the other badges be worn? They said no.
I then asked about the EFMB and CAB, both of which can be earned and worn by the USAF, they said no. Does anyone down there have a clue?

It comes down to this, if awarded by the military, regardless of what branch, you should be able to wear it. Period.

abdsp51

The CAB is not authorized for wear by AF Personel unless attached to an Army unit per  AFI.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: lordmonar on January 27, 2012, 03:47:56 PM
I can't find it in 26-2903....but I have seen a lot of AD/AFRES types wear their Navy Jump wings and Navy Aircrew and aviator wings.

Remember back when two IL ANG F-16 pilots mistakenly dropped a bomb in A-stan that tragically killed some of our Canadian allies who were holding a live-fire exercise?

I think one of them must have been a Naval Aviator, because on the news story where he was going for some sort of hearing (Art. 32?) I saw him wearing Navy wings on his service dress.  I think it was between his ribbon rack and USAF wings, though it could have been on the right side.

Maybe he got some sort of special dispensation from his state AG?  I don't know.

Oh...and I agree 100% that mixing subdued and blue/white insignia on BDU's looks bad, especially when in most cases B/W is authorised and available.

Now if we could just go with the darker navy blue...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Naval Academy Grad and Top Gun (and Red Flag) instructor prior to the ANG.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

RogueLeader

No name plate? ???  I demand that they make the ANG distinctive as the senior officers can't properly wear the uniform.  >:D
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Quote from: RogueLeader on January 28, 2012, 12:24:20 AM
No name plate? ???  I demand that they make the ANG distinctive as the senior officers can't properly wear the uniform.  >:D
2002 - pre nameplate

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Nameplate was still optional until 2003 for service dress.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Flying Pig

Spaceman3750

Quote from: CyBorg on January 27, 2012, 11:56:05 PM

Remember back when two IL ANG F-16 pilots mistakenly dropped a bomb in A-stan that tragically killed some of our Canadian allies who were holding a live-fire exercise?

I think one of them must have been a Naval Aviator, because on the news story where he was going for some sort of hearing (Art. 32?) I saw him wearing Navy wings on his service dress.  I think it was between his ribbon rack and USAF wings, though it could have been on the right side.

Maybe he got some sort of special dispensation from his state AG?  I don't know.

Oh...and I agree 100% that mixing subdued and blue/white insignia on BDU's looks bad, especially when in most cases B/W is authorised and available.

That guy was a member of the local ANG unit (before they lost the flying mission) at the time of the incident. I felt bad for all involved.

PHall

FYI: The TAG can not authorize any uniform items. That is reserved for the NGB. And they guard that privilage very closely.

stillamarine

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 28, 2012, 01:44:16 AM
http://www.afsoc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/070530-F-8732E-042.jpg

Combat Controller wearing Naval Parachutist Wings and USMC Combatant Diver Badge

What's really interesting is here is wearing regular senior parachutist wings and naval parachutist wings. He had to have been 0321before he went AF.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

stillamarine

Yet he is wearing what appears to be the USMC Combatant Diver Badge which wasn't issued until 2006. Prior to that we wore the regular Naval Scuba Badge.

USMC AD 1996-2001
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

GroundHawg

Quote from: stillamarine on January 28, 2012, 05:16:40 AM
Yet he is wearing what appears to be the USMC Combatant Diver Badge which wasn't issued until 2006. Prior to that we wore the regular Naval Scuba Badge.

My thought is that maybe he was just presented these wings and thats where they pinned them? Otherwise he is wearing a unathorized badge. (not out of the realms of possiblities)

On the USMC Combatant Diver Badge, I thought I heard that only HMs and USMC were awarded these and he is wearing a USMC Reserve Good Conduct Medal, so he is prob prior service USMC Recon Reserve Unit or a ANGLICO Reserve unit.

Also note, there are no stars on his campain medals (they cannot be worn bare, if you have the medal you have at least one star)

The CyBorg is destroyed

It's hard to keep all that straight as to what is allowed and what isn't.

I have seen US personnel wearing Canadian jump wings:

...and German:

...presumably earned on exchange tours, and no doubt from other nations too.

If the actual military has trouble keeping straight what is allowed and what isn't, I'm sure that we of CAP, with our full-of-holes-as-Gruyere 39-1,  have an even worse time.  I have even seen an ex-Army CAP officer wearing a German Bundesheer silver/grey shoulder aiguilette...looks sharp, but I have no idea as to whether or not it's within regs, and since I don't know, I don't feel right trying to call him on it.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

GroundHawg

Quote from: CyBorg on January 28, 2012, 05:53:44 PM
It's hard to keep all that straight as to what is allowed and what isn't.

I have seen US personnel wearing Canadian jump wings:

...and German:

...presumably earned on exchange tours, and no doubt from other nations too.

If the actual military has trouble keeping straight what is allowed and what isn't, I'm sure that we of CAP, with our full-of-holes-as-Gruyere 39-1,  have an even worse time.  I have even seen an ex-Army CAP officer wearing a German Bundesheer silver/grey shoulder aiguilette...looks sharp, but I have no idea as to whether or not it's within regs, and since I don't know, I don't feel right trying to call him on it.

Soldiers are allowed one foreign badge, the aiguillete is prob the shutzenshur (sp?) the german marksmanship cord (I got silver in Bosnia in 99) Since I have a few foreign badges and wings I sent an email to KB they said to follow USAF rule which would be we can wear one foreign badge or cord but only while in the foreign country that awarded it. They also stated that parachute wings are not aviation badges. So unless you are on IACE in that country, no foreign badges can be worn on a CAP uniform. You can wear foreign ribbons, and they go dead last behind all other ribbons.
This is yet another issue that I think should be changed. With as many prior service and foriegn members that are in CAP or will be joining, CAP would be well served to allow them the option to wear what they have earned.

abdsp51

Actually the Afghan and Iraqi campaign medals were initially awarded and worn without campaign stars.  It wasn't until 2007/08 that the stars came into play. 

Flying Pig

Well, no doubt he started his career as a Marine reservist.  At any rate it shows the badges are authorized for wear on the USAF uniform.

abdsp51

umm I'm not seeing any more badge in the pics have they been changed?

Oops wrong pic. 

abdsp51

Taking another look at that one of the controller he's missing the GCM.

GroundHawg

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 28, 2012, 09:34:54 PM
Well, no doubt he started his career as a Marine reservist.  At any rate it shows the badges are authorized for wear on the USAF uniform.

No, it means that the Combat Controller in the pic is wearing an unauthorized uniform item. I have no doubt that he has earned it and should be able to wear his Navy Jump Wings, but they are not allowed for wear by the USAF.

lordmonar

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 28, 2012, 11:17:45 PM

No, it means that the Combat Controller in the pic is wearing an unauthorized uniform item. I have no doubt that he has earned it and should be able to wear his Navy Jump Wings, but they are not allowed for wear by the USAF.
Which should put a lot of perspective on the old "we need to get it right or the USAF will get angery" argument.  8)

Flying Pig

"Taking another look at that one of the controller he's missing the GCM"

No AF GCM, but the red white and gold one third row down, left side
is the USMCR version of the good conduct.  But hes been a bad boy in the AF:)

Flying Pig

Quote from: lordmonar on January 28, 2012, 11:22:30 PM
Quote from: GroundHawg on January 28, 2012, 11:17:45 PM

Which should put a lot of perspective on the old "we need to get it right or the USAF will get angery" argument.  8)

With all the separate wings hes wearing, he must still be very proud of his Marine heritage!  Either way, I brt the guy knows how to skydive! ;D

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 28, 2012, 07:37:08 PM
Soldiers are allowed one foreign badge, the aiguillete is prob the shutzenshur (sp?) the german marksmanship cord (I got silver in Bosnia in 99) Since I have a few foreign badges and wings I sent an email to KB they said to follow USAF rule which would be we can wear one foreign badge or cord but only while in the foreign country that awarded it. They also stated that parachute wings are not aviation badges. So unless you are on IACE in that country, no foreign badges can be worn on a CAP uniform. You can wear foreign ribbons, and they go dead last behind all other ribbons.
This is yet another issue that I think should be changed. With as many prior service and foriegn members that are in CAP or will be joining, CAP would be well served to allow them the option to wear what they have earned.

Agreed.  But can you legally wear your Schuetzenschnur with the CAP AF blue uniform here in the States?

I've related before the story of a retired Canadian CF-116 (Canadair CF-5)

pilot in my first unit who came here to fly for the airlines.  National would only let him wear his pilot's wings

but none of his ribbons.  I didn't think that was right, but they didn't ask me.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

GroundHawg

Agreed.  But can you legally wear your Schuetzenschnur with the CAP AF blue uniform here in the States?

No. According to the lady at KB we are to follow USAF rules which state:

10.5.1.6. Foreign badges (aviation, medical insignia and parachutist badges). Are only worn in the conferring country or while attending official and social functions hosted by the awarding government. Do not wear foreign aviation badges unless wearing a US aviation badge.

So again (Im shocked) people at KB and NHQ have given conflicting info. According to USAF rules your RCAF pilot should have been able to wear his ribbons and not the badge.....

abdsp51

That's bunk.  IMHO I think that if you have earned a dec or badge etc and have documentation to go with it you should be allowed to wear it. 

GroundHawg

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 29, 2012, 07:11:30 PM
That's bunk.  IMHO I think that if you have earned a dec or badge etc and have documentation to go with it you should be allowed to wear it.

^+1000000000

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: GroundHawg on January 29, 2012, 02:02:01 PM
Are only worn in the conferring country or while attending official and social functions hosted by the awarding government.

I'll tell the guy to get rid of the Schuetzenschnur unless he gets invited to the German Embassy for Oktoberfest.  I will accompany to translate.

So again (Im shocked) people at KB and NHQ have given conflicting info.

According to USAF rules your RCAF pilot should have been able to wear his ribbons and not the badge.....

I guess NHQ didn't feel that this guy jetting around in a supersonic fighter in service of Queen and Country for 20+ years was worthy of CAP recognition.  Or maybe they didn't like it because he had an unpronounceable name (he was a French-Canadian...and a million laughs).

After all, the Canadian Government doesn't seem to have a problem with it being reciprocal...as you can tell from the Senior Army Aviator wings worn by Lieutenant-General Charles Bouchard...

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on January 29, 2012, 08:56:32 PM
I guess NHQ didn't feel that this guy jetting around in a supersonic fighter in service of Queen and Country for 20+ years was worthy of CAP recognition.  Or maybe they didn't like it because he had an unpronounceable name (he was a French-Canadian...and a million laughs).

After all, the Canadian Government doesn't seem to have a problem with it being reciprocal...as you can tell from the Senior Army Aviator wings worn by Lieutenant-General Charles Bouchard...

Well considering that there is both a Canadian and an American flag in his picture, I would say this photo is from an assignment to NORAD.
Which is a joint Canadian-American Command. His wearing of the American Wings is entirely appropriate in this case.

cpyahoo

FlyingPig... you are incorrect about the SF and Ranger tabs.  There are Security Forces members and SERE specialists who have earned these are are NOT assigned to Army units.  I have witnessed this firsthand while active duty.  I worked with and Air Force SP who had gone to Ranger school and never served with the Army. 

abdsp51

Quote from: cpyahoo on January 30, 2012, 03:04:48 AM
FlyingPig... you are incorrect about the SF and Ranger tabs.  There are Security Forces members and SERE specialists who have earned these are are NOT assigned to Army units.  I have witnessed this firsthand while active duty.  I worked with and Air Force SP who had gone to Ranger school and never served with the Army.

You can earn the tab and not be assigned to the unit however per AFI you must be assigned to an Army unit to wear it.  I had a Ranger grad in my unit here and I knew a former Army SF at my first assignment.  But they did not wear the tabs.  Earning and wearing are two separate things.

flyboy53

Quote from: stillamarine on January 28, 2012, 05:06:39 AM
Quote from: Flying Pig on January 28, 2012, 01:44:16 AM
http://www.afsoc.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/070530-F-8732E-042.jpg

Combat Controller wearing Naval Parachutist Wings and USMC Combatant Diver Badge

What's really interesting is here is wearing regular senior parachutist wings and naval parachutist wings. He had to have been 0321before he went AF.

Isn't one of the ribbons some sort of Marine Corps Good Conduct Award? I'm not about to call the guy a fake, but I suspect he might have been some sort of Marine Force Recon, or he may have attended the school or have been presented the badge.

It's interesting that both Navy badges are worn below the ribbons. I would have thought the Navy wings would have been worn above on the right.

Pylon

Quote from: flyboy1 on January 30, 2012, 11:25:12 AM
Isn't one of the ribbons some sort of Marine Corps Good Conduct Award? I'm not about to call the guy a fake, but I suspect he might have been some sort of Marine Force Recon, or he may have attended the school or have been presented the badge.

It's interesting that both Navy badges are worn below the ribbons. I would have thought the Navy wings would have been worn above on the right.

My guess is that he was in one of the Recon units in the Marine Corps Reserve.  Only Recon guys go to Combatant Diver's school in the Corps.  And only Marines in a handful of jump-qualified billets/MOSes can qualify to upgrade their lead sleds to gold wings.  So the only guys in the USMC who get the dual cools are Recon.  You don't get to go to the diver school and upgrade your feathers to gold unless you're Recon.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CAP_Marine

That is mostly true but there are exceptions to it. Aside from recon Marines you may find some guys who serve in Air & Naval Gunfire Liaison Companies (ANGLICO) with at least gold wings, maybe the SCUBA bubble as well. I'm not very up to speed on the new MARSOC units but they may also be wearing both.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 28, 2012, 03:40:52 AM

That guy was a member of the local ANG unit (before they lost the flying mission) at the time of the incident. I felt bad for all involved.

Spaceman - You in Group 9 ?
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Spaceman3750

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 02, 2012, 03:52:52 AM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 28, 2012, 03:40:52 AM

Spaceman - You in Group 9 ?

Yeah - I'm going to be visiting your squadron later this month.

manfredvonrichthofen

Must say... I am rather upset that I can wear my CIB, but were my father and brother in CAP, they couldn't wear their CAB's, that they got at the same time I got my CIB, in the same country, during the same war.

Stonewall

They can wear them, just not in CAP.  Just because something earned in one place, doesn't mean you can or should wear it in another place.  It just so happens that CAP allows you to wear the CIB, just like the AF does.  But until further notice, the CAB is not authorized. 

It's like becoming a police officer and saying you should be able to wear your air assault badge.  At some point the line has to be drawn.
Serving since 1987.

BuckeyeDEJ

"Aquamarine"? I think you mean "ultramarine." Aquamarine is light teal. :)

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Mariner15

Ordered and received CIB's from Name Tags 4 U. Look good. Satisfied.   :clap:

manfredvonrichthofen

I ordered mine from 1800nametapes, and I am satisfied with them as well, but they were $5.00 a pop and you have to orders three at a time. How much did yours cost?

NIN

So again (Im shocked) people at KB and NHQ have given conflicting info.

Yeah, good lord. That never happens!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP

NIN

Quote from: Mariner15 on April 23, 2012, 11:58:31 AM
Ordered and received CIB's from Name Tags 4 U. Look good. Satisfied.   :clap:

Rob there does high-quality work.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP