Main Menu

AFROTC Uniform

Started by JROB, January 23, 2010, 04:45:53 PM

Spike

I give up.  This is such an inconsequential issue, I could care one way or the other. 

SarDragon

Quote from: Spike on January 24, 2010, 09:25:47 PM
I give up.  This is such an inconsequential issue, I could care one way or the other.

So if you could care, which way is it?

OTOH, I couldn't care less.

Think about it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy53

Wear the uniform. Be a professional. Think about that!

Major Carrales

Get your squadron commander's approval...then you won't have RiverAux "shorts in a sheet bend."  ;)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

raivo

Quote from: RiverAux on January 24, 2010, 08:41:28 PMHeck, if he was the star quarterback on his football team, which demonstrates a lot of leadership capability, would we say that it makes sense for him to show up in his football uniform that he has probably been told can only be worn while he is playing football?

Bingo.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Spike

Quote from: raivo on January 25, 2010, 12:18:32 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on January 24, 2010, 08:41:28 PMHeck, if he was the star quarterback on his football team, which demonstrates a lot of leadership capability, would we say that it makes sense for him to show up in his football uniform that he has probably been told can only be worn while he is playing football?

Bingo.

Lt, I disagree.  I know I "gave up" earlier, but I must drag myself back into the pit.  CAP (as the "official USAF Auxiliary") is the Air Force Auxiliary.  Going for an AFROTC scholarship in front of "real life AF Officers" (like yourself) in your CAP uniform is very professional.  If a Cadet has the CAP training, and has dedicated hours to supporting USAF missions, let the kid show it by allowing him or her to wear the uniform. 

Relating a CAP Cadet to the Jock Ball Player is out of context and almost not comparable.  Lets give our Cadets the edge over the typical "star football player" that needs a scholarship because he actually was suck at football. 

Not to go off on a tangent, but all too often I have kids sit before me and try to explain why they deserve to attend a military academy.  When all of the other board members finish asking their questions I ask "Why do you want to be a Commissioned Military Officer", and "tell me what will make you a better Officer than the other applicants".  With those questions I usually get a "well, umm.....I would have to say, um....well, I ahh...um".  The ones that actually thought about what attending an Academy means, or who has a strong desire to be an Officer, has a snap answer.  Favorite answer to my question about three years ago was "I want to be an Officer so I can persuade those around me to end the war"  (well his application got as far as the recycle bin, on a 5-0 vote to non-select)

So, if you got the uniform, wear it and be proud.  If you want to wear your football jersey, go for it but know we are all laughing at you! 

Fifinella

Run it up your chain of command, to include DCC and CC.  If they grant permission, then I think wearing the uniform of the USAF Auxiliary is entirely appropriate for an AFROTC or USAFA interview.  It demonstrates to the board that you are familiar with Air Force customs and courtesies, that you know how to wear the uniform (and shows them how you look in uniform, i.e. meet standards), and that you know "what you are getting yourself in for".  If you are at all unsure about the attitude of your particular board/interviewer toward candidates wearing CAP or JROTC uniforms to the interview, call the secretary/administrator and ask if there is a preference or policy for candidate attire.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

raivo

Quote from: Spike on January 25, 2010, 01:31:21 AM
Lt, I disagree.  I know I "gave up" earlier, but I must drag myself back into the pit.  CAP (as the "official USAF Auxiliary") is the Air Force Auxiliary.  Going for an AFROTC scholarship in front of "real life AF Officers" (like yourself) in your CAP uniform is very professional.  If a Cadet has the CAP training, and has dedicated hours to supporting USAF missions, let the kid show it by allowing him or her to wear the uniform. 

Relating a CAP Cadet to the Jock Ball Player is out of context and almost not comparable.  Lets give our Cadets the edge over the typical "star football player" that needs a scholarship because he actually was suck at football. 

Not to go off on a tangent, but all too often I have kids sit before me and try to explain why they deserve to attend a military academy.  When all of the other board members finish asking their questions I ask "Why do you want to be a Commissioned Military Officer", and "tell me what will make you a better Officer than the other applicants".  With those questions I usually get a "well, umm.....I would have to say, um....well, I ahh...um".  The ones that actually thought about what attending an Academy means, or who has a strong desire to be an Officer, has a snap answer.  Favorite answer to my question about three years ago was "I want to be an Officer so I can persuade those around me to end the war"  (well his application got as far as the recycle bin, on a 5-0 vote to non-select)

So, if you got the uniform, wear it and be proud.  If you want to wear your football jersey, go for it but know we are all laughing at you!

Truth be told, I'm actually close to being on the fence, but I still fall in the "against" category. My gut feeling just says "no," but that's me.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Short Field

If you wear the uniform, you had better make absolutely sure it is perfectly set up and that your military bearing and manners are absolutely perfect.   I see a lot more room to screw it up than to excel.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

afgeo4

I'm a squadron commander and one of my cadets has the same interview coming up and asked me the same exact question.

My answer: Wear your service dress uniform.

Why? Because I KNOW he wears it 110% properly and looks good doing it. He is not interviewing for admission into college. He's interviewing for admission into the Air Force. Him wearing the Air Force uniform properly and with respect and showing the officers full Air Force customs & courtesies is more than appropriate.

CAP uniforms are authorized at CAP activities. CAP, specifically the cadet program, is a function of USAF. Thus, I think it is appropriate and according to the regs. Of course if RiverAux prefers, I'll give my cadet a stern index finger shaking once he accepts his four year scholarship from the Air Force.
GEORGE LURYE

Cecil DP

While I don't think it's appropriate, it's not my scholarship $$$ on the line either. I would follow Fiffenella's advice and call the AFROTC interviewer and ask if the CAP uniform is acceptable.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

CAP277

This is ridiculous. Wear your CAP uniform, with your commander's approval. Wear it properly, look sharp. It's a great talking point, I wore my short sleeve blues combo to my AFROTC scholarship interview, and I'd say in part because of it the Air Force is currently paying for my college education. So clearly it paid off for me, and the Unit Admission Officer that conducted my interview said as a result of seeing me in uniform, I was the caliber individual they were looking for that looked sharp, had attention to detail, and obviously met height/weight standards.

Wear it.

C-150

The wearing of the uniform shows discipline and professionalism. The officer's sitting on the board would be able to visualize this young man in future setting. In other words they could see first hand the fact that he has pride in his self, his county and the USAF/CAP. Wear in properly and proudly. It amazes me how someone asking a simple question on here turns into a major debate. Makes me wonder.

raivo

OK, I'm going to say something that may be unpopular, but that you may wish to consider.

There are some Air Force personnel out there who do not have a particularly high opinion of CAP. Their reasons may not be valid, but the fact is still there. A popular sentiment among that crowd is that CAP is a bunch of wanna-bes who want to wear a uniform, look cool and pretend they're in the military, but who can't hack it in the real military. And for that reason alone, I would be hesitant to wear the Air Force uniform to such an interview. (FWIW, I wore a suit and tie when I interviewed to go to OTS.)

There aren't *my* views obviously - if I were the interviewer, I personally would probably take a neutral view of it. But I do think that it has both the potential to be negative, and the potential to be positive, depending on the interviewer, and that the safest thing to do is stay in civvies. (Hey, Firefox doesn't flag "civvies" as a misspelled word!")

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018

Krapenhoeffer

If I'm not mistaken, 39-1 allows for wear of the uniform while visiting military installations.

If you can look good, and act good in uniform, I say go for it (with you're CC's permission, of course).
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

C-150

I am not  certain where this thought of the USAF having a negative view of CAP comes from. Perhaps a few young enlisted types have made the the "wannabe" comments, but they have not been around long enough to what CAP is. I have never had contact with a Sr. Enlisted AF member of an Officer that had view. Most either already know about CAP as many AF Officers were and are members. Some don't know because that is not covered in their training, but once informed they have no negative opinion. Maybe this wannabe thinking comes from members with a low self esteem or something. I am not sure. It may be that few members have done or said something in the hearing and sight range of AF people and they hold view from that.....but the thinking that the USAF stance toward CAP is negative is nonsense.

desertengineer1

Question - has this member been in the first two years of AFROTC, or are they walking off the street for the last two years only?  If the member has been in the first two years, they need to wear ROTC AF Service Dress (my opinion).

For the "off the street case"

If, as a unit commander, one of my cadets came and asked if he/she could wear service dress to an ROTC interview...  Absolutely - if I felt this member would represent us well.  That's part of the commadner's job - mentorship.

That's why the unit CC has that authority.  No wing commander I know would say otherwise - again, if the member would represent us well.

It would be the member's choice, IMHO, if they have been a good member.  They earned it.

As an AF officer, I'm confused with the comment regarding CAP's reputation.  In my 21 year career, I have heard no such comments.  Sure, there's always some fear that a board will see this as an arrogant thing, but remember that it's all how the individual acts in that uniform.

Someone will ask "Why did you choose to wear your CAP service dress?" 

If I were in that chair, the correct answer is "I am proud of my service, feel I have done well, and feel it has high relevance to what I want to do as a future Air Force leader."

If a board member cannot recognize the pride and the "above and beyond" factor, in addition to the other merits of the applicant as a "whole person" factor, it wouldn't make a difference anyway. 

If this member represents themselves well, they will be remembered as such.

I am very disappointed in some posts I am seeing here.  If you can't grasp the mentorship and leadership factor in something as simple as this, I think you need to take a break and come back when you are ready.  I wouldn't let you near any of my cadets if you were in my unit or a fellow squadron in my wing..

Wear it with pride.  Wear it well.  If he/she can represent us well, I am proud.

raivo

I wouldn't say it's commonplace, but I have seen it. DE1, if you think it's not an issue, then I'll take your (more experienced) word for it.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018

desertengineer1

Quote from: raivo on January 27, 2010, 06:13:02 PM
I wouldn't say it's commonplace, but I have seen it. DE1, if you think it's not an issue, then I'll take your (more experienced) word for it.

You did good.  I'm just not really happy about some of the more "mean" posts here.

Lots of variables like representation quality, guidance, and the like.

Good Cadet, sharp performer, good interviewer = go for it.

But if there's an expectation to wear the AF Service Dress as a second year cadet, he should have gotten better advice from his peers and staff officers - just my IHMO.  Good luck!

RiverAux

QuoteIf you can't grasp the mentorship and leadership factor in something as simple as this
It has nothing at all to do with that but CAP regulations which allow very limited leeway for wear of CAP uniforms outside of CAP events.