Main Menu

AFROTC Uniform

Started by JROB, January 23, 2010, 04:45:53 PM

JROB

I have a cadet who is going to an interview for an AFROTC scholarship. Would wearing of the blue service uniform be appropriate?
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

Eclipse

Is this a CAP cadet going for an AFROTC scholarship in his role as a CAP cadet?

"That Others May Zoom"

JROB

Yes this is a CAP cadet going for an AFROTC Scholarship
Maj. Jason Robinson
Squadron Commander, Desoto Composite Squadron
SER-MS-096

"If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life"-Igor Sikorsky

RiverAux

It doesn't sound like a CAP-related activity to me, so my opinion would be no. 

kd8gua

If the cadet was a Spaatz, Eaker, Earhart, or Mitchell cadet, I think it would be feasible to go to an AFROTC interview in CAP uniform, since those ribbons are authorized for wear in the AFROTC program.
Capt Brad Thomas
Communications Officer
Columbus Composite Squadron

Assistant Cadet Programs Activities Officer
Ohio Wing HQ

DC

^ That's kinda twisted logic, IMHO. I would just have him wear civvies, he is still technically a civilian.

Dragon 3-2

I did mine in  my blues, and they looked favorably towards it.

Captain  Steven Smith
Aerospace Education Officer
NJ-102 Plainfield Red Falcons
Eaker #2089
2009 NJWG / NER Dragon Drill Team

David Lewis

All of his CAP resume will already be listed on his application.  In this instance, he should wear business atire, i.e. sports jacket, dark trousers, nice white shirt, and a conservative necktie.

David M. Lewis, MSgt, USAF (RET)
Captain, Civil Air Patrol
Deputy Commander, Gage County Composite Squadron NCR-NE-095
Former C/LtCol

raivo

Quote from: DC on January 23, 2010, 07:58:03 PM
^ That's kinda twisted logic, IMHO. I would just have him wear civvies, he is still technically a civilian.

Agreed.

CAP, while a great program, is for all intents and purposes just another community service activity (albeit, one with a military focus to it.) It's not really appropriate to wear the uniform outside of a CAP activity.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

Cecil DP

Wear of the CAP uniform is not appropriate for a college interview!
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

Spike

As a member of the Admissions board for my Senator, I sit with 5 other people.  Each time a person comes in for the interview wearing a uniform of some type (unless it is a military uniform) it is looked at unfavorably by the majority.  They believe that the person is just trying to impress the board with clothes.  Me, I take into account how dedicated that individual must be for being proud enough to wear their uniform. 

I say, if you set up your application with the majority of it in reference to what you did in CAP, wear the CAP uniform.  Most AF Officers in ROTC know what CAP is. 

You will surely stand out (hopefully for the positive)

RiverAux

Wear of the CAP uniform is not a matter of personal choice, it is a matter subject to CAP regulation.  This is not a CAP activity and the wear of the uniform would violate CAP regulations. 

flyguy06

I wear my CAP uniform every year to an awrads banquet sponsored by this youth aviation group I belong too.AP. Its not a CAP actitivity. Is that not approriate?

RiverAux

If you were invited to the banquet to represent CAP thats fine.  If you just happen to belong to this other group and you're not doing anything there for CAP purposes (recruiting, for example), then no, it wouldn't be appropriate to wear the CAP uniform.

If there is any gray area about it, get your commander involved and let him/her make the call. 

Of course some here feel its appropriate to wear the CAP uniform almost anytime. 

Thom

Quote from: RiverAux on January 24, 2010, 04:56:34 PM
If you were invited to the banquet to represent CAP thats fine.  If you just happen to belong to this other group and you're not doing anything there for CAP purposes (recruiting, for example), then no, it wouldn't be appropriate to wear the CAP uniform.

If there is any gray area about it, get your commander involved and let him/her make the call. 

Of course some here feel its appropriate to wear the CAP uniform almost anytime.

Not to take this too far off track, but I personally am ALWAYS recruiting for CAP unless the function is such that it is not permissible or is insensitive.  So, unless I'm at a function that specifically prohibits recruiting or a funeral, I'm looking to recruit.

And I'm NOT a Recruiting Officer.

I carry my CAP business cards and I'm always ready with a sales pitch for anyone even mildly interested.

We ALL should be prepared to be a 'recruiting officer' at any time.

That said, I wouldn't use it as an excuse to wear my uniform to a high school football game or night at the symphony or some such, but you could conceivably justify something like a high school reunion (assuming you are still local) as a recruiting exercise.  Depends on your Unit Commander.

Just my point of view, now back to your regularly argumentative thread.

Thom

Hawk200

Quote from: JROB on January 23, 2010, 04:45:53 PMI have a cadet who is going to an interview for an AFROTC scholarship. Would wearing of the blue service uniform be appropriate?
No, not really. As mentioned above, it's not a CAP function or business. If it's on the resume, the uniform is redundant. If it's not on the resume, and one wears a uniform, people may wonder why it's not on the resume.

I've had cadets that wanted to wear the uniform to school, just to wear it. That's the wrong reason. It may impress some people, but it doesn't define a person, and could actually hurt the organization's reputation.

Quote from: Thom on January 24, 2010, 05:29:03 PMNot to take this too far off track, but I personally am ALWAYS recruiting for CAP unless the function is such that it is not permissible or is insensitive.  So, unless I'm at a function that specifically prohibits recruiting or a funeral, I'm looking to recruit.
A uniform does not equal recruiting. We shouldn't be considering a uniform as PR by itself.

Quote from: Thom on January 24, 2010, 05:29:03 PMI carry my CAP business cards and I'm always ready with a sales pitch for anyone even mildly interested.
I think that's a sensible practice. One thing that might go a long way is wearing a standard conservative business suit with a some type of CAP lapel pin. When someone asks, that's the time for the pitch.

Quote from: Thom on January 24, 2010, 05:29:03 PMThat said, I wouldn't use it as an excuse to wear my uniform to a high school football game or night at the symphony or some such, but you could conceivably justify something like a high school reunion (assuming you are still local) as a recruiting exercise.
A lot of people try to justify things in such a manner. A uniform is not intended to recruit, it's intended to show affiliation with a a group or organization. Yeah, if you're wearing it outside the organization's normal activities, people will probably ask. But it's not always appropriate to do so. As mentioned above, a simple lapel pin could go a long way.

Spike

Guys, the kid is going to sit in front of Air Force Officers.  The CAP uniform is appropriate in this case. 

RiverAux

Hmm, so when I went to the local military base to apply for pemit to hunt on the base, I should have worn my CAP BDUs?

Spike

^ Out of context and you know it!

RiverAux

Not really.  I could try to argue that as a member of CAP I should be given more consideration than those not affiliated in the military in some way and that because I've been fingerprinted I am more trustworthy to have a gun on the base than the general public. 

These arguments are pure hogwash of course.  But again, trying to say that this is a CAP activity at which a CAP uniform is authorized is hogwash too.  Heck, if he was the star quarterback on his football team, which demonstrates a lot of leadership capability, would we say that it makes sense for him to show up in his football uniform that he has probably been told can only be worn while he is playing football?