Woodland BDU's reclassified as "CAP-distinctive?"

Started by The CyBorg is destroyed, December 21, 2009, 05:22:35 AM

The CyBorg is destroyed

I have nothing to base this on, but is there any possibility that at some point BDU's will be reclassified as "CAP-distinctive," or at least exempt from H/W requirements?

The Air Force is issuing the ABU, and I don't see CAP getting it anytime soon, at least not until it's percolated through the active, AFRES and ANG.  I do see some AF personnel still wearing the BDU, but for how long?

The Army is issuing the ACU.  I couldn't tell you the last time I saw a Soldier wearing BDU's.

The Navy has the Navy Working Uniform.

The Marines have had the MARPAT for some time.

To the best of my knowledge, the only combat service still using the Woodland BDU's are certain Coast Guard personnel, though I see some police agencies wearing them; i.e., eradicating pot fields, and some State Guards.

I don't see how CAP-badged woodland BDU's could be confused with any of those.

Just curious.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

jimmydeanno

I was just at the Hanscom AFB, MA MCSS and wouldn't you know it...they've two racks (10 feet long) of BDUs set up.  Seems to be a significant amount for a uniform that is being phased out.  The time before they didn't have any in the entire store.

Perhaps they've come across some excess inventory or something...

I don't think that BDUs will become "CAP Distinctive" anytime soon, either way.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Suggested a lot on this board, nothing in the channel publicly at the NHQ level in that regard.  Won't be possible until after the sundown
of BDU's in 2011.

The USAF and Navy still wears BDU's everyday all over the world.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 21, 2009, 05:28:06 AM
I was just at the Hanscom AFB, MA MCSS and wouldn't you know it...they've two racks (10 feet long) of BDUs set up.  Seems to be a significant amount for a uniform that is being phased out.  The time before they didn't have any in the entire store.

Perhaps they've come across some excess inventory or something...

I don't think that BDUs will become "CAP Distinctive" anytime soon, either way.

It's nice that you have BDU's in the MCSS there at Hanscom because, to the best of my knowledge, there are none available in any Air Force MCSS on the west coast.
I've heard that that there may be some available at some Naval Bases, but for how long?

Out here if you need BDU's it's either the surplus stores or the internet.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on December 21, 2009, 06:03:56 AM
I've heard that that there may be some available at some Naval Bases, but for how long?

On my last trip (about 2 weeks ago), the BDU racks had been restocked with NWU parts, and the remaining
BDU's relegated to a back wall - probably 4 linear feet of one rack or less.

Quote from: PHall on December 21, 2009, 06:03:56 AM
Out here if you need BDU's it's either the surplus stores or the internet.

Which for 99% of CAP members is the only source, anyway.

"That Others May Zoom"

JK657

I was just at Travis AFB today checking out the MCSS and there was a full aisle dedicated to BDUs. Plenty of all sizes to go around... I still see maybe 10 to 15% of the airmen around the base wearing BDUs. Mainly lower enlisted.

YMMV

RiverAux

I did a thread on this a while back, but IIRC no one bought the premise that the BDU would cease to be within AF control after it no longer was an AF uniform. 

flyguy06

BDU's are totally out of the Army system. have been since 2007

AndrewA74

Wrong, the Special Forces still use them, but they use whatever they want. No matter what the military uses, woodland BDUs will always be the camo that everyone assumes is military. Therefore, people will always assume we are military.

Eclipse

Quote from: AndrewA74 on December 21, 2009, 11:22:39 PMNo matter what the military uses, woodland BDUs will always be the camo that everyone assumes is military.

Give it 5 years past the last regular wear by a combatant service and people will forget - they will then become part of the collective memory in the way that pickle suits are owned by Vietnam and Pinks belong to WWII.

BDU's basically belong to Desert Storm in the collective consciousness.

"That Others May Zoom"

AndrewA74

Quote from: Eclipse on December 21, 2009, 11:40:59 PM
Quote from: AndrewA74 on December 21, 2009, 11:22:39 PMNo matter what the military uses, woodland BDUs will always be the camo that everyone assumes is military.

Give it 5 years past the last regular wear by a combatant service and people will forget - they will then become part of the collective memory in the way that pickle suits are owned by Vietnam and Pinks belong to WWII.

BDU's basically belong to Desert Storm in the collective consciousness.
True...but I don't think it will become CAP distinctive as long as it was once worn by the military. But that raises another question, Coast Guard wear the BBDUs, so should we make those Non-CAP-Distinctive and subject them to W/H requirements?
Andrew

Eclipse

Quote from: AndrewA74 on December 22, 2009, 04:25:04 AMBut that raises another question, Coast Guard wear the BBDUs, so should we make those Non-CAP-Distinctive and subject them to W/H requirements?

We're not part of the Coast Guard, and if we followed their Aux's SOP, we wouldn't be subject to H/W at all.

The Navy also wears a variant of both the blue field uniform and the blue jumpsuit.

The issue isn't being distinctive from anything that remotely resembles a military uniform, its being distinctive from the USAF.

"That Others May Zoom"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: AndrewA74 on December 22, 2009, 04:25:04 AM
True...but I don't think it will become CAP distinctive as long as it was once worn by the military. But that raises another question, Coast Guard wear the BBDUs, so should we make those Non-CAP-Distinctive and subject them to W/H requirements?
Andrew

What the Coast Guard and its Auxiliary wear is the Operational Duty Uniform.  It is not the same as the BBDU's.

Also, I should clarify: Maybe "CAP-distinctive" is the wrong term.  What I mean is that, given their inevitable (however slow) phase-out from USAF service, Woodland BDU's could be removed from H/W requirements.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

Quote from: CyBorg on December 22, 2009, 04:29:14 AM
What the Coast Guard and its Auxiliary wear is the Operational Duty Uniform.  It is not the same as the BBDU's.

The only difference is the lack of lower pockets on the shirt.  Now that its being worn untucked again, from 30 feet its the same uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

cap235629

Quote from: CyBorg on December 22, 2009, 04:29:14 AM
Quote from: AndrewA74 on December 22, 2009, 04:25:04 AM
Andrew

Also, I should clarify: Maybe "CAP-distinctive" is the wrong term.  What I mean is that, given their inevitable (however slow) phase-out from USAF service, Woodland BDU's could be removed from H/W requirements.

who exactly are you trying to hide from?
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP
Arkansas Certified Emergency Manager
Tabhair 'om póg, is Éireannach mé

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

The purpose for camouflage is concealment.  Why do we need to conceal ourselves? The camouflage pattern uniforms have "cool" factor, nothing else.  When the ABU's are worn in CAP I will allow the whole parent service argument but I cannot understand for the life of me why we need camouflage when the very first thing we do if in fact we go to the woods on a mission is don a vest of blazing orange! Stick to the BBDU
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: cap235629 on December 22, 2009, 05:33:55 AM
The purpose for camouflage is concealment.  Why do we need to conceal ourselves? The camouflage pattern uniforms have "cool" factor, nothing else.  When the ABU's are worn in CAP I will allow the whole parent service argument but I cannot understand for the life of me why we need camouflage when the very first thing we do if in fact we go to the woods on a mission is don a vest of blazing orange! Stick to the BBDU
It still amazes me that people ask this question when the reasoning has been explained numerous times before.

If you don't like it, don't wear it. If you don't like the para-military nature of CAP, find someplace else to volunteer your time.

Pretty simple choices.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Thank you, Lieutenant.  I thought that's what you might be getting at, but I didn't want to assume anything.

Actually, you and I aren't too far apart on this.  I've often wondered why do we need camouflage as well, and I actually think the BBDU's look nicer with our insignia, though I'd tweak it a bit so that the insignia matches the blue cloth (like the dark-blue Captain's bars I have on my utility jumpsuit).  And, personally, I'm not sure why we need the ABU, though of course we'll wear it IAW established practice.

But my point is that the Woodland BDU's are a lot easier in most cases to obtain (YMMV) than the BBDU's.

The local Army/Navy doesn't carry the BBDU's at all...the proprietor told me "we don't have enough asking for them for me to keep them in stock."

However, he's got racks full of new black BDU's (police and some ES use them) and both new and used Woodland BDU's...he's got used ones in like-new condition priced that you can get a full set and not fork over more than $50 (including field jacket).

Also, many squadrons (mine among them) are the recipients of generosity from ROTC, ANG and AFRES units who donate them, and we are grateful for that.

I know quite a few members who could get a decent set of Woodland BDU's at no cost if not for the H/W issues.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

cap235629

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 22, 2009, 06:26:28 AM
It still amazes me that people ask this question when the reasoning has been explained numerous times before.

If you don't like it, don't wear it. If you don't like the para-military nature of CAP, find someplace else to volunteer your time.

Pretty simple choices.
where in my post did I imply that I had a problem with the para-military nature of CAP?
how does dressing like a bush wearing an orange apron make you any more "para-military" than wearing BBDU's?

Do not assume. The missions and the para-military nature of the organization is EXACTLY why I joined. I am an honorably discharged disabled veteran who as a result of my service connected disability cannot meet H/W standards. I wear the BBDU because I have to, and quite honestly if I can ever meet H/W I will probably continue to wear them as I do not want to be confused with an Air Force Officer. Now not assuming anything on my part, but I bet there are those among us that in fact want to wear AF style uniforms for the very reason I do not....

This attitude has caused many a problem with Ma Blue as evidenced by the many edicts from above over the years.  You can run an incredibly military minded program and wear a distinctive uniform of the organization you are actually a part of.  Cadets should stay in AF uniforms.  I think all seniors should be transitioned over to a distinctive yet militarily equivalent uniform and ditch the AF uniforms all together.  If we lose members because of it, then we know which group from above that they fall into....
Bill Hobbs, Major, CAP