When to wear the Blues?

Started by Walkman, September 10, 2009, 02:34:18 AM

Prospector

Ok Everyone,

Here is the official answer from the CAP Knowledge base inquiry I made yesterday:

Question:
Is a military course graduation ceremony held on a military base considered an authorized social activity for the purposes of wearing the CAP Air Force style or new Corporate Dress Uniform by an attending CAP member? Additional Info: The attending CAP officer would be an invited guest, not one of the graduates.

Official Answer (emphasis added):
Response (KB Manager)
09/14/2009 12:46 PM

Yes it would be appropriate to wear the CAP uniform to a military graduation ceremony on a military base. CAPM 39-1 allows wear of the CAP uniform when attending social activities or dinners on military installations without restriction.

Please see knowledgebase answer(s) below for additional details.

Answer Title: Wearing the CAP uniform to a non CAP activity
Answer Link:
http://capnhq.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/capnhq.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=802

I hope this puts the question to rest now.  ;)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

ColonelJack

Quote from: aveighter on September 12, 2009, 07:11:11 PM
Well said Joe!!

For those of you who don't know Major Carrales, he is a walking advertisement for how a CAP officer should look in uniform and a credit to the service.

Heck, I don't know Sparky other than through this board ... but I already consider him a good friend.  And you're right ... the pictures I've seen are a billboard for what a CAP officer should look like when he's in uniform.

Well said.  And great job, Sparky!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

RiverAux

Well, I am generally one of those who defers to the KB, so I'll consider it closed.

However, I would note that the question was a little biased towards this answer as it doesn't specify that the CAP member was invited only because of the family relationship with the graduate, not because the member was a CAP member.  I've said all along that if you were invited because you were a CAP member, then it would probably be appropriate to wear the uniform. 

Prospector

QuoteI've said all along that if you were invited because you were a CAP member, then it would probably be appropriate to wear the uniform.

If you look closely at the answer given, you will see that the answer is specific in stating that it is always appropriate (unless specifically ordered not to by competent authority, ie. the base commander, event host, or your CAP chain of command) for a CAP Senior Officer to wear their CAP dress uniform to any social activity the person is allowed, or has been invited, to attend that is being held on any military base. Hence the terminology stated, "without restriction."

This is true whether or not anything associated with the event is CAP related in any way.

The only criteria in this case to comply with is:

1. Is the event a Social Event or dinner?
2. Is the event being held on a military base?
3. Is there a directive specifically prohibiting uniform wear for the occasion?

Clearly the NHQ considers a military graduation ceremony to be an authorized "Social Activity".

Case closed - again.  ;) ;)

Major Carrales

Semper Vigilans!!!  ;)
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454