New Florida Wing Patch.

Started by Hill CAP, July 07, 2009, 02:25:41 AM

Hill CAP

Just recieved this email from Florida Wing Commander.

I am very happy to debut the new Florida Wing command shield that will also be worn as our wing patch.  It has designed by Captain Matt Congrove during his tenure as Deputy Director of the Wing IT department.  It will be available through Vanguard within the next 10 days at the same cost as our current patch.  The current patch may still be worn as prescribed until 07 Mar 10.

Dark Blue Field - This area represents space and fulfills the AF requirement for ultramarine blue within the design.
Stars - There are eight stars, representing Florida being the 8th wing in CAP.  White in color represents the collective wisdom of our membership and all the synergies we bring when we work as a team.
Gold Arrow - This represents honor and also the manned space flight aircraft (the Orbiter, and soon Ares).  It's inclusion shows our support of NASA operations, and it's great impact on our organization and community.
Silver Arch - This represents the flight path of the space flight aircraft. It separates the dark blue (space) and light blue (sky) fields. It's silver, which is representative of the Moon, where NASA plans on venturing next.
Light Blue Field - This field represents the sky, our "primary theater of operations".
Compass Row -  This represents the prime directions of travel, plus the 4 red corners represent our four wing precepts.

CHRISTIAN F. MOERSCH, Col., CAP
Commander, Florida Wing
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

biomed441

:clap:
Very nice design. I'm liking the idea of wings going to the shield. Hope more wings decide to give their patches a face lift.

BrandonKea

Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

I like it as well. Only thing I would have changed is to adjust the spacing of the lettering (called 'kerning' in the printing business) to balance the lettering on the scroll. As it is, there's too much white space in the word 'WING'.

It was a pain in the [fpoc] to do but I achieved the proper kerning balance when I designed the Texas Wing Group III patch, especially in the motto. As a result, it balances out the white space.

Now to figure out the heraldic blazon for the FL Wing emblem...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Here's the blazon (the description of the shield in the traditional language of heraldry):

On a shield azure with a diminutive border or, eight mullets on upper sinister quadrant argent; on lower dexter quadrant a section of a globe azure with trail argent and arrow or; a compass rose or with inescutcheon of the Civil Air Patrol emblem proper. Motto: FLORIDA WING azure.

Will someone pass this on to the FL Wing King? (If it's any help I'm a former Florida Wing member.  ;D)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BuckeyeDEJ

What was so wrong with putting the gator (the heritage emblem) in the shield? Were people in Florida Wing that unhappy with the gator? Heck, in the other 49 states, the name Florida would almost instantly bring images of alligators and palm trees.

Heck, the Air Force has no problem with cartoons in its heraldry. Here's hoping other wings won't shun their legacy patches, or will at least give them serious consideration.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

DBlair

I can just imagine the comments that are going to be made at tonight's meeting regarding this patch. As it is, people already joke about the 'weekly uniform changes' and so forth and how the wing patch here in FL has changed from the gator, to the CAP seal version, now to this command shield all in the matter of a relatively short period of time.

I'm not really against the design of it (I think it looks pretty nice), but I agree with the other members that the letter spacing really does need to be fixed. Unfortunately, it seems to already be in production as is.

I just hope they keep the wing patch as optional so that we may continue to wear an 'optional' patch such as NCSA, etc.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

BillB

The Florida Wing alligator patch was "retired" by the Wing Commander (who's name we do not mention). He said he didn't want comic book pictures on the uniform.

Chuck...
Will someone pass this on to the FL Wing King?
The post on the Wing patch was from the current Wing King.

Zack Mosley redesigned his original patch to make the gaor look fiercer, and less pregnant  LOL  I'll see if his daughter might have a copy of the redesign
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BillB on July 07, 2009, 08:03:22 PMChuck...
Will someone pass this on to the FL Wing King?
The post on the Wing patch was from the current Wing King.

I meant the blazon (heraldic description)... I know it was the Colonel's email.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 07, 2009, 07:17:04 AM
I like it as well. Only thing I would have changed is to adjust the spacing of the lettering (called 'kerning' in the printing business) to balance the lettering on the scroll. As it is, there's too much white space in the word 'WING'.

It was a pain in the [fpoc] to do but I achieved the proper kerning balance when I designed the Texas Wing Group III patch, especially in the motto. As a result, it balances out the white space.

I agree, and also on what a PITA it is to get it right.  The "A" in Florida should be kicked just a bit left to match the scroll and possibly skewed a bit.

But those are nitpiks and could be fixed before things go to production.  Overall its a very sharp, professional, clean design.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: DBlair on July 07, 2009, 06:53:40 PM
I just hope they keep the wing patch as optional so that we may continue to wear an 'optional' patch such as NCSA, etc.

NCSA and other optional patches are supposed to be worn on the left breast pocket.

Don't you need specific Wing approval to wear anything but a Wing patch on the left shoulder?

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2009, 09:01:31 PMNCSA and other optional patches are supposed to be worn on the left breast pocket.

Don't you need specific Wing approval to wear anything but a Wing patch on the left shoulder?

I think someone here mentioned that PA wing is wearing their Ranger patch on the left shoulder now. Not legal, but apparently done.

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2009, 09:01:31 PM
Quote from: DBlair on July 07, 2009, 06:53:40 PM

NCSA and other optional patches are supposed to be worn on the left breast pocket.

There is a 39-1 ICL that authorized the Wing patch to be optional. Earlier this year, it came down that the FL Wing/CC authorized members to wear NCSA patches (etc) in its place. There is a regulation, update, NB decision, or ICL (can't remember which) I remember reading somewhere that stated this was allowed if the individual Wing Commander authorized it.

RiverAux

Very professional looking patch -- which means it is also fairly generic, uninteresting, and uninspiring.  Sadly, this is the case with most modern military patches.  But, it is obviously much better than what they had most recently. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: DBlair on July 07, 2009, 09:12:08 PMThere is a 39-1 ICL that authorized the Wing patch to be optional. Earlier this year, it came down that the FL Wing/CC authorized members to wear NCSA patches (etc) in its place. There is a regulation, update, NB decision, or ICL (can't remember which) I remember reading somewhere that stated this was allowed if the individual Wing Commander authorized it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the order put out by former Florida commander Col. Dan Levitch was pulled by Col. Moersch -- the order mandating the wing emblem for all Florida CAP members, after the NB made it optional.

Hopefully, the emblem will also be available with Velcro affixed.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 07, 2009, 10:13:17 PM
Hopefully, the emblem will also be available with Velcro affixed.

I'm sorry, but Velcro patches on BDU's looks ridiculous.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

I think he means for the zoom bag... which makes some sense, although coming out with a new patch after they have been removed from the service uniform and made "optional" on the BDU doesn't really.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Okay, I'll say it....

SAY NO TO PATCHES!!!!
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Quote from: Stonewall on July 08, 2009, 12:56:34 AM
Okay, I'll say it....

SAY NO TO PATCHES!!!!

It needed to be said.

Pylon

Okay, I'll say it....

SAY NO TO PATCHES!!!!

But a Wing or Unit emblem is more than just a uniform patch.  It represents the unit, whether that be in the form of a graphic emblem on CAPR 10-1 compliant letterhead, on a website, powerpoint presentation, training materials or recruiting flier, a seal on a podium or wall or on a challenge coin.  Though not a Flordia Wing member, I can see why they'd want their own, distinctive emblem for use across a wide variety of applications to represent Florida Wing.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

Quote from: Pylon on July 08, 2009, 01:33:20 AM
Okay, I'll say it....

SAY NO TO PATCHES!!!!

But a Wing or Unit emblem is more than just a uniform patch.  It represents the unit, whether that be in the form of a graphic emblem on CAPR 10-1 compliant letterhead, on a website, powerpoint presentation, training materials or recruiting flier, a seal on a podium or wall or on a challenge coin.  Though not a Flordia Wing member, I can see why they'd want their own, distinctive emblem for use across a wide variety of applications to represent Florida Wing.

Yes, Michael (KIT voice), you are correct.  Good call.  But no patches.  Emblems on documents, signage and business cards are all good to go...

[/Push-ups]
Serving since 1987.

NEBoom

Silly question; how does a shield-shaped patch look when worn on the sleeve?  I haven't seen one actually on a uniform yet, but trying to imagine it gives me the same feeling I had during that brief period when metal rank was authorized on the "wrong" side of the flight cap for wear with the TPU.  It just flat-out didn't look right.

I understand the whole argument about AF heraldry (wing patches are shields, squadron patches are round) and that we should follow it, but the AF has only worn shields on the pockets, not on sleeves.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

DC

Quote from: NEBoom on July 08, 2009, 03:09:37 AM
Silly question; how does a shield-shaped patch look when worn on the sleeve?  I haven't seen one actually on a uniform yet, but trying to imagine it gives me the same feeling I had during that brief period when metal rank was authorized on the "wrong" side of the flight cap for wear with the TPU.  It just flat-out didn't look right.

I understand the whole argument about AF heraldry (wing patches are shields, squadron patches are round) and that we should follow it, but the AF has only worn shields on the pockets, not on sleeves.
I've seen shield shaped NCSA patches worn on the sleeve (back in the pre-reversed flag patch days), I didn't think it looked weird..

biomed441

I've seen the southwest region patch worn on the sleve in place of the wing patch by a region staff member. Shield shape, looked fine.  Nevada wing also has a shield shape as well correct?

Hawk200

Quote from: NEBoom on July 08, 2009, 03:09:37 AMSilly question; how does a shield-shaped patch look when worn on the sleeve? 

Air Force wears wing and group patches on flightsuit sleeves, it looks pretty good. BDU sleeves would look a little wierd. They just haven't been worn that way.

RiverAux

I can't quite wrap my mind around the idea that a shield shape would look wrong when worn on the arm.   Having a unit patch on a breast pocket seems foreign to me though.

Hawk200

Quote from: RiverAux on July 08, 2009, 03:52:45 AM
I can't quite wrap my mind around the idea that a shield shape would look wrong when worn on the arm.   Having a unit patch on a breast pocket seems foreign to me though.

It's all a matter of what we're used to. To some things look OK, to others they weem wierd.

thatesguy

seems pretty cool, i like it
NRAEMT, GA AEMT, PHTLS

notaNCO forever

Before yhe American flag patch there was NCSA shield patches worn on the shoulder. I think round patches look better on the uniform though.

NEBoom

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 08, 2009, 03:57:02 AM

It's all a matter of what we're used to. To some things look OK, to others they weem wierd.

Very true.  It's just something I've not seen yet and have a hard time visualizing. 
Quote from: Hawk200
Air Force wears wing and group patches on flightsuit sleeves,

Yeah, and I hadn't thought of that (I always wore a squadron patch on my bag).  Thing is on the AF flight suit the patch is farther down the sleeve than the CAP traditional 1/2" IIRC (at least ours were).  Anyway, sounds like most of you who have seen it think it looks OK, so apparently it's no big deal.  Just curious what people thought.
Lt Col Dan Kirwan, CAP
Nebraska Wing

alamrcn

I've began "the documenting process" as it were...

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/fl/flwg3a.html

A correction I made from the FL/CC's note was "Compass Row" to "Compass Rose".
Any other changes or additions?

I'm calling Vanguard this week to order one... Yah right, they'll have them in stock  >:(

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

SarDragon

"It's inclusion shows our support of NASA operations, and it's great impact ..."

Ditch the apostrophes above

It's used correctly here - "It's silver ..." - as the contraction of it is.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

DC

Quote from: alamrcn on July 14, 2009, 03:01:07 AM
I've began "the documenting process" as it were...

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/fl/flwg3a.html

A correction I made from the FL/CC's note was "Compass Row" to "Compass Rose".
Any other changes or additions?

I'm calling Vanguard this week to order one... Yah right, they'll have them in stock  >:(
I believe they have them available, they've taken the old image off their site, and I was told they would be available as of last Friday by someone at VG.

Hill CAP

Just talked to Vanguard they have them. however call to make the order if you order online you will get the old patch call and talk to Eva  and let her know you need the new patch.

Also talked to Tom over at The Hock Shop. They only have the Old ones and will not have the new ones in for about a month or two.
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

DC

Quote from: FLCAP 834 on July 14, 2009, 01:45:49 PM
Just talked to Vanguard they have them. however call to make the order if you order online you will get the old patch call and talk to Eva  and let her know you need the new patch.

Also talked to Tom over at The Hock Shop. They only have the Old ones and will not have the new ones in for about a month or two.
I placed an order online Friday and received it today, and I got a new patch.

BuckeyeDEJ

[/quote]

Any heraldry geeks here? Two questions:

1. Why the black outline around the compass rose?
2. Should the two shades of blue be bumping up against each other -- is that blazoned incorrectly? (That's why the blue outlines were put around the stars on the CAP seal. Silver and white are heraldically the same color.)

And yes, I agree, the type looks really clunky. Still, it'll look better on my flight suit than the Pinhead Pineda patch.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 15, 2009, 05:22:17 AM

Any heraldry geeks here? Two questions:

2. Should the two shades of blue be bumping up against each other -- is that blazoned incorrectly? (That's why the blue outlines were put around the stars on the CAP seal. Silver and white are heraldically the same color.)

And yes, I agree, the type looks really clunky. Still, it'll look better on my flight suit than the Pinhead Pineda patch.
[/quote]

The black (sable) outline on the compass rose is probably to make it stand out.
The rule in heraldry is metal is generally not placed against metal, nor color against color. The argent (silver) arc and or (gold) spacecraft/aircraft between the lighter and darker blue meets this requirement by separating the colors.

My take on the heraldic blazon of the emblem is in an earlier part of this thread; I'm no 'Sable Basilisk' (obscure Ian Fleming reference :))
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BuckeyeDEJ

The blues aren't totally separated. I think I understand the symbolism, but I'm curious as to execution.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 16, 2009, 12:22:54 AM
The blues aren't totally separated. I think I understand the symbolism, but I'm curious as to execution.

Sometimes heraldic blazon rules aren't followed exactly to the letter.  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

MSG Mac

Figures, FLWG announces that Wing patches are not to be worn with the BDU;s and than comes up with an updated wing patch.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Major Carrales

Quote from: MSG Mac on July 17, 2009, 04:54:18 AM
Figures, FLWG announces that Wing patches are not to be worn with the BDU;s and than comes up with an updated wing patch.

It makes sense to me, the particular "shield," MAJCOM, shaped patches look ridiculous as a shoulder flash.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Watch 'em change or rescind the order.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

alamrcn

Does anyone have a copy of the Policy Letter recinding this Policy Letter regarding wear of the Florida Wing patch from two years ago?

http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library/reg-man/39-1pol_fl060727.pdf

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

BuckeyeDEJ

DC

They didn't say they shouldn't be worn, they just rescinded an order making them mandatory, allowing them to be optional like every other wing in the country. You can still wear 'em if you want to.

DBlair

In response to the question earlier regarding if certain NCSA patches can worn on the left shoulder in place of the Wing patch, please note the following copied from the letter cited above:

3. As a result of National Board action, certain school/activity patches may be worn on the left shoulder. The following patches are approved for wear ½" below the left shoulder seam:
a. National Emergency Service Academy
b. National Flight Academy
c. Cadet Officer School
d. National Honor Guard Academy
e. Hawk Mountain Ranger School
f. Blue Beret
g. Air Force Space Command Familiarization Course
h. Pararescue Orientation Course

DC

Did they specifically exclude some activities that have patches, SUPTFC for instance, or did they simply forget about them?

PHall

Quote from: DC on July 17, 2009, 06:17:19 PM
They didn't say they shouldn't be worn, they just rescinded an order making them mandatory, allowing them to be optional like every other wing in the country. You can still wear 'em if you want to.

You are so wrong about the optional thing.

There are some wings, California being one, where wear of the Wing Patch is mandatory, period.

Hawk200

Quote from: PHall on July 18, 2009, 03:04:37 AMYou are so wrong about the optional thing.

There are some wings, California being one, where wear of the Wing Patch is mandatory, period.

That sounds like something California Wing would do.

SarDragon

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 18, 2009, 03:23:40 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 18, 2009, 03:04:37 AMYou are so wrong about the optional thing.

And that's a bad thing?  ???
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on July 18, 2009, 08:28:06 AM

I think so.

ßτε

Quote from: PHall on July 18, 2009, 03:04:37 AM

Could you please give a reference for this.

PHall

Quote from: bte on July 18, 2009, 04:30:27 PM
Quote from: PHall on July 18, 2009, 03:04:37 AM

Could you please give a reference for this.

CAWG Sup 1 to CAPM 39-1. It's not currently accessable from the Wing website because it's "under revision".
Hopefully the revision is to remove the requirement for the wing patch. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

SarDragon

Quote from: Hawk200 on July 18, 2009, 04:07:50 PM

I think so.

Care to add any amplifying commentary? I happen to like wing patches, but I'm kinda olde school. I even say that knowing that the CAWG patch is a major PITA to sew onto a uniform.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SarDragon on July 18, 2009, 06:20:14 PM

I think so.

Care to add any amplifying commentary? I happen to like wing patches, but I'm kinda olde school. I even say that knowing that the CAWG patch is a major PITA to sew onto a uniform.

What's wrong with wing patches?  Like bright encased rank on flight suits, ultramarine blue nametapes, and leather flight suit name badges, CAP has not kept in step with the Air Force as the AF uniform has evolved.

Wear of the patch on the sleeve is very Army-ish, but we haven't been an auxiliary of the Army since 1948.

And don't ask me about the reversed flag patch.

IF we are to wear wing patches, we should wear them in the same manner as our parent service... shield-shaped and on the pocket.
Another former CAP officer

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on July 18, 2009, 06:20:14 PMCare to add any amplifying commentary? I happen to like wing patches, but I'm kinda olde school. I even say that knowing that the CAWG patch is a major PITA to sew onto a uniform.

I know how much of a pain it is, it's the first wing patch I ever wore. California wing had a few other issues that I won't address here.

My issue is not with the wing patch, it's with wings that mandate items made optional by National. I just think that's wrong. To me, optional means optional.

If National said I had to wear it, I'd wear it. If they tell me that it's up to me, I'll leave it off for simplicity's sake, as I hand sew all my own uniforms (I don't like paying for it, and everyone that looks at my uniforms swear that I had to have done it on a machine until I show them the inside stitching.)

A lot of wing reps respond that they're proud of their wing patch. If it was optional and people chose to wear it anyway, that shows me true pride. A wing requiring it shows me artificial pride and ego. Neither of which I really have any respect for.

Keep in mind, it's my opinion only. If you think you should wear yours, great, I have no issues with it, and I respect your choice. I simply have other feelings on the matter.

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 18, 2009, 08:21:18 PMIF we are to wear wing patches, we should wear them in the same manner as our parent service... shield-shaped and on the pocket.

Agreed. Although, currently the AF doesn't wear them. If they return them to the uniform, we should mirror their policy.

PHall

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 18, 2009, 08:21:18 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on July 18, 2009, 06:20:14 PM

I think so.

What's wrong with wing patches?  Like bright encased rank on flight suits, ultramarine blue nametapes, and leather flight suit name badges, CAP has not kept in step with the Air Force as the AF uniform has evolved.

Wear of the patch on the sleeve is very Army-ish, but we haven't been an auxiliary of the Army since 1948.

And don't ask me about the reversed flag patch.

IF we are to wear wing patches, we should wear them in the same manner as our parent service... shield-shaped and on the pocket.

I asked the then CAWG/CC about how she could make an "optional" item an "mandatory wear" item.

She said that the option rests with the Wing Commander. At least that's the way the entire National Board understands it.

I then replied that that's not the way it was published by National, that it just said optional and didn't state who's option it was.

It was about then that she forcefully changed the subject...

ßτε

Quote from: PHall on July 18, 2009, 05:42:09 PM
CAWG Sup 1 to CAPM 39-1. It's not currently accessable from the Wing website because it's "under revision".
Hopefully the revision is to remove the requirement for the wing patch. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

There currently is no CAWG Sup 1 to CAPM 39-1.  According to CAWG Sup 1 to CAPI 0-2, it was obsolete a little over a year ago.

RiverAux

QuoteI asked the then CAWG/CC about how she could make an "optional" item an "mandatory wear" item.

She said that the option rests with the Wing Commander. At least that's the way the entire National Board understands it.

I then replied that that's not the way it was published by National, that it just said optional and didn't state who's option it was.
Presumably this is something that would have been clarified had they actually published a real ICL (or god help us, a revised regulation) with specific regulatory language in it rather than the progression of letters that we've been operating with for years.

PHall

Quote from: bte on July 18, 2009, 11:14:14 PM
Quote from: PHall on July 18, 2009, 05:42:09 PM

There currently is no CAWG Sup 1 to CAPM 39-1.  According to CAWG Sup 1 to CAPI 0-2, it was obsolete a little over a year ago.

It says that the 1 April 2006 version is obsolete. Doesn't say when it became obsolete.
And if you then look at the California Wing Supplements to National Regulations page you will find that the Sup is under revision.

The 1 April 2006 version is currently under revision and the new version is supposed to be released at the Wing Conference in September.

The 1 April 2006 version requires wear of the Wing Patch.

ßτε

^^ If the 1 April 2006 version of the CAWG supplement to CAPM 39-1, was obsolete in 2008, it is still obsolete now. Even if it is in revision, it doesn't change the fact that at this point it at best an historical document.

Until the revision is published, CAWG does not have a supplement to CAPM 39-1. CAWG has no current OI's posted concerning wing patches. I contend that at this time, at least until a new version of the CAWG supplement to CAPM 39-1 is published, wing patches are optional in CAWG.

JohnKachenmeister

The preceeding posts have been brought to you by the new hit movie:

"UNIFORM NAZIS AT PLAY"

Share in the action, adventure, and drama as that rolicking band of Uniform Nazis try to outwit each other with knowledge of regulations, supplements, and ICL's.  Enjoy the thrill of catching a CAP member not wearing a tie pin with his tie, and cheer as the Uniform Nazis hang a CAP member from a nearby tree for wearing a crew-neck T-shirt.

Check your local listings for theaters and showtimes.

This film is not yet rated because the Rating Board keeps falling asleep during the part where the Uniform Nazis wonder if the TPU is a real uniform.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 19, 2009, 02:42:35 PM

"UNIFORM NAZIS AT PLAY"

I can just imagine the musical soundtrack for the movie: the Horst Wessel Lied ! [/groan][/facepalm]  ;D
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

PHall

Quote from: bte on July 19, 2009, 11:40:23 AM
^^ If the 1 April 2006 version of the CAWG supplement to CAPM 39-1, was obsolete in 2008, it is still obsolete now. Even if it is in revision, it doesn't change the fact that at this point it at best an historical document.

Until the revision is published, CAWG does not have a supplement to CAPM 39-1. CAWG has no current OI's posted concerning wing patches. I contend that at this time, at least until a new version of the CAWG supplement to CAPM 39-1 is published, wing patches are optional in CAWG.

Nice barracks lawyer argument, that will get you nowhere.

alamrcn

Quote from: bteEven if it is in revision, it doesn't change the fact that at this point it at best an historical document.

Good thing I grabbed a copy :)
http://www.incountry.us/cappatches/library/reg-man/39-1sup_ca060401.pdf

I ordered some of the third Florida Wing patches on Thursday, so hopefully they'll be in my hands next week.

I'm also looking for a larger computer graphic of the new patch than what appeared earlier in this thread, if anyone has or knows of one.

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 19, 2009, 02:51:49 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 19, 2009, 02:42:35 PM

"UNIFORM NAZIS AT PLAY"

I can just imagine the musical soundtrack for the movie: the Horst Wessel Lied ! [/groan][/facepalm]  ;D

Not "Yakety Sax"?

PHall

Nope, Yakety Sax has been copyrighted by Benny Hill! ;)

O-Rex

Quote from: PHall on July 20, 2009, 03:53:33 AM
Nope, Yakety Sax has been copyrighted by Benny Hill! ;)

'Baby Elephant Walk' makes a good alternate. .  :D

I just got my FLWG patches from VG (and pretty darn quick, I might add!)

Once you see them 'in the flesh' they're not bad at all-looks kinda sharp......

Matthew Congrove

Hey all,

I'm (former Capt.) Matthew Congrove (if you couldn't tell by the username); thought I'd hop on here to answer some questions and say thanks for all the kind words and feedback.

I'd like to start off by talking about the process for this new design...

I was approached by Col. Moersch a couple of months ago to give an opinion on some new designs he had been tossing around, none of which I really cared for; I have a little bit of graphic design experience (I'm more into web design, e.g. the new FLWG website), but I figured I'd give it a shot. Over the course of a day or two I hashed out a quick design (trying my best to stick with what I remembered of heraldry rules and guidelines), and the design you all see is what came of my efforts. You're quite literally looking at design #1; no major revisions were made (stars were re-aligned slightly at Col. Moersch's request).

So, with that in mind, I'll answer some of your questions and respond to some remarks...

=====

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 07, 2009, 07:17:04 AM

I totally agree; I've never been great with kerning, and it is a PITA, so I did the best I could in the five minutes before I started pulling my hair out. I was hoping someone down the line (e.g. Vanguard, someone with more design experience, etc) would be able to help correct this, but it was sent to print very quickly. I didn't even know it was approved until I was sent a photo of the prototype from Vanguard. It's a shame it wasn't corrected.

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 15, 2009, 05:22:17 AM

1. As stated by someone else, it was mainly just for separation (I think). I don't care much for the compass rose but I was asked to carry it over from some of the other patch designs; I copied it as best I could, black border and all.
2. I am by no means an expert on heraldry, and this was mostly just a simple slip-up on my part. Had I received more time to review, revise and fine-tune the design I probably would have caught it, but alas, no such time was given.

Quote from: alamrcn on July 19, 2009, 04:10:13 PM
I'm also looking for a larger computer graphic of the new patch than what appeared earlier in this thread, if anyone has or knows of one.

If you (or anyone else) would like a high-res PSD, EPS or JPG of the FLWG patch, shoot me an e-mail: mattcongrove@gmail.com

I'll see if I can get the IT team to put the files online, but I wouldn't hold my breathe.

=====

Thanks all once again for the kind words and constructive criticism; I just wish I could actually implement some of your remarks ;)

Best,
Matthew Congrove
Lt. Col. Matthew Congrove, CAP

JohnKachenmeister

Matt:

I think you did a fine job.  I have yet to speak with anyone in the Florida Wing who doesn't like the new patch.  I'll be putting one on my zoom bag as soon as they come available.

Good work!

Kack

But, really... Couldn't you find SOMEplace to put the silly-looking alligator?  >:D

BuckeyeDEJ

Matthew --

E-mail me your largest resolution and I'll retrace it as a vector file, unless you already have one (sounds like you don't right now).

And yeah, I'm still a fan of the alligator.

Earhart1971

Its a boring patch. Looks like someone took pains to use heraldry that is totally meaningless to Florida Wing. Bring the Gator back!

JohnKachenmeister

Not meaningless here on the Space Coast!   ;)

ammotrucker

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on July 27, 2009, 03:07:56 PM
I think you did a fine job.  I have yet to speak with anyone in the Florida Wing who doesn't like the new patch.  I'll be putting one on my zoom bag as soon as they come available.

Good work!

Kack

But, really... Couldn't you find SOMEplace to put the silly-looking alligator?  >:D

Kack
They are available.  I have seen a few around.  Missed you at RECON training
RG Little, Capt

Eclipse

But, really... Couldn't you find SOMEplace to put the silly-looking alligator?

Just hide it in the corner with IR-reactive thread, then only the "in" crowd will know its there.

"That Others May Zoom"

Strick

Any FL Wennies here interested in getting a FLWG morale patch made with the aggresive looking gator on it and putting something like in memory of?  I suck at computer graphic design so if any body has a cocept and producer for the patch let me know.

Thanks
[darn]atio memoriae

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: ammotrucker on July 28, 2009, 02:38:48 AM

Good work!

Kack

Kack
They are available.  I have seen a few around.  Missed you at RECON training

It was my birthday.  The choice was clear:

a)   Go to a CAP training class, or...

b)   Drink margaritas by my pool while some of my hot-looking neighbor's wives show off the latest in swimwear fashions.

Tough call, right?

DC

Quote from: Strick on July 28, 2009, 08:19:39 PM
Any FL Wennies here interested in getting a FLWG morale patch made with the aggresive looking gator on it and putting something like in memory of?  I suck at computer graphic design so if any body has a cocept and producer for the patch let me know.

Thanks
I might be... It might be hard to pull off in 1" x 2" though...

alamrcn

Received my copies of the new Florida Wing patch from Vanguard, and it looks WAY better in person than the scan shows!

Although somewhat generic in the heraldry department, it is very sharp and smartly designed. Very USAF looking, too.

I'd have gone with a cut edge, because a merrowed one is hard to pull off with the shield shape due to the scroll's detail that continues inside from the edge.

I definately go in for some novelty/morale patches featuring the ol' gator... maybe Zack's original "prego" version laying in a beach chair enjoying retirement?  ;D

Ace Browning, Maj, CAP
History Hoarder
71st Wing, Minnesota

C/Ssgt Mailloux

i dont like it. and i have to wear it. GRRR!
C/SrA Mailloux.
Alpha Flight Element Leader.
SER-FL-040 Wildcards.

Strick

The patch could just be a novelty one instead of the little pencil tab moral patch.  I would put it on the helemt bag or on my flight jacket(with no CAP badges of course).  Ace maybe yu could put something toghter. 
[darn]atio memoriae

DC

Quote from: C/Ssgt Mailloux on August 05, 2009, 07:35:55 PM
No you don't. Wing patches are optional.

Airrace

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: C/Ssgt Mailloux on August 05, 2009, 07:35:55 PM

You don't have to.  It is optional.

Lighten up, Francis.