New Florida Wing Patch.

Started by Hill CAP, July 07, 2009, 02:25:41 AM

Hill CAP

Just recieved this email from Florida Wing Commander.

I am very happy to debut the new Florida Wing command shield that will also be worn as our wing patch.  It has designed by Captain Matt Congrove during his tenure as Deputy Director of the Wing IT department.  It will be available through Vanguard within the next 10 days at the same cost as our current patch.  The current patch may still be worn as prescribed until 07 Mar 10.

Dark Blue Field - This area represents space and fulfills the AF requirement for ultramarine blue within the design.
Stars - There are eight stars, representing Florida being the 8th wing in CAP.  White in color represents the collective wisdom of our membership and all the synergies we bring when we work as a team.
Gold Arrow - This represents honor and also the manned space flight aircraft (the Orbiter, and soon Ares).  It's inclusion shows our support of NASA operations, and it's great impact on our organization and community.
Silver Arch - This represents the flight path of the space flight aircraft. It separates the dark blue (space) and light blue (sky) fields. It's silver, which is representative of the Moon, where NASA plans on venturing next.
Light Blue Field - This field represents the sky, our "primary theater of operations".
Compass Row -  This represents the prime directions of travel, plus the 4 red corners represent our four wing precepts.

CHRISTIAN F. MOERSCH, Col., CAP
Commander, Florida Wing
Justin T. Adkinson
Former C/1st Lt and SM Capt
Extended Hiatus Statues

biomed441

:clap:
Very nice design. I'm liking the idea of wings going to the shield. Hope more wings decide to give their patches a face lift.

BrandonKea

Brandon Kea, Capt, CAP

AlphaSigOU

I like it as well. Only thing I would have changed is to adjust the spacing of the lettering (called 'kerning' in the printing business) to balance the lettering on the scroll. As it is, there's too much white space in the word 'WING'.

It was a pain in the [fpoc] to do but I achieved the proper kerning balance when I designed the Texas Wing Group III patch, especially in the motto. As a result, it balances out the white space.

Now to figure out the heraldic blazon for the FL Wing emblem...
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Here's the blazon (the description of the shield in the traditional language of heraldry):

On a shield azure with a diminutive border or, eight mullets on upper sinister quadrant argent; on lower dexter quadrant a section of a globe azure with trail argent and arrow or; a compass rose or with inescutcheon of the Civil Air Patrol emblem proper. Motto: FLORIDA WING azure.

Will someone pass this on to the FL Wing King? (If it's any help I'm a former Florida Wing member.  ;D)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

BuckeyeDEJ

What was so wrong with putting the gator (the heritage emblem) in the shield? Were people in Florida Wing that unhappy with the gator? Heck, in the other 49 states, the name Florida would almost instantly bring images of alligators and palm trees.

Heck, the Air Force has no problem with cartoons in its heraldry. Here's hoping other wings won't shun their legacy patches, or will at least give them serious consideration.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

DBlair

I can just imagine the comments that are going to be made at tonight's meeting regarding this patch. As it is, people already joke about the 'weekly uniform changes' and so forth and how the wing patch here in FL has changed from the gator, to the CAP seal version, now to this command shield all in the matter of a relatively short period of time.

I'm not really against the design of it (I think it looks pretty nice), but I agree with the other members that the letter spacing really does need to be fixed. Unfortunately, it seems to already be in production as is.

I just hope they keep the wing patch as optional so that we may continue to wear an 'optional' patch such as NCSA, etc.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

BillB

The Florida Wing alligator patch was "retired" by the Wing Commander (who's name we do not mention). He said he didn't want comic book pictures on the uniform.

Chuck...
Will someone pass this on to the FL Wing King?
The post on the Wing patch was from the current Wing King.

Zack Mosley redesigned his original patch to make the gaor look fiercer, and less pregnant  LOL  I'll see if his daughter might have a copy of the redesign
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: BillB on July 07, 2009, 08:03:22 PMChuck...
Will someone pass this on to the FL Wing King?
The post on the Wing patch was from the current Wing King.

I meant the blazon (heraldic description)... I know it was the Colonel's email.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Eclipse

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on July 07, 2009, 07:17:04 AM
I like it as well. Only thing I would have changed is to adjust the spacing of the lettering (called 'kerning' in the printing business) to balance the lettering on the scroll. As it is, there's too much white space in the word 'WING'.

It was a pain in the [fpoc] to do but I achieved the proper kerning balance when I designed the Texas Wing Group III patch, especially in the motto. As a result, it balances out the white space.

I agree, and also on what a PITA it is to get it right.  The "A" in Florida should be kicked just a bit left to match the scroll and possibly skewed a bit.

But those are nitpiks and could be fixed before things go to production.  Overall its a very sharp, professional, clean design.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: DBlair on July 07, 2009, 06:53:40 PM
I just hope they keep the wing patch as optional so that we may continue to wear an 'optional' patch such as NCSA, etc.

NCSA and other optional patches are supposed to be worn on the left breast pocket.

Don't you need specific Wing approval to wear anything but a Wing patch on the left shoulder?

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2009, 09:01:31 PMNCSA and other optional patches are supposed to be worn on the left breast pocket.

Don't you need specific Wing approval to wear anything but a Wing patch on the left shoulder?

I think someone here mentioned that PA wing is wearing their Ranger patch on the left shoulder now. Not legal, but apparently done.

DBlair

Quote from: Eclipse on July 07, 2009, 09:01:31 PM
Quote from: DBlair on July 07, 2009, 06:53:40 PM

NCSA and other optional patches are supposed to be worn on the left breast pocket.

There is a 39-1 ICL that authorized the Wing patch to be optional. Earlier this year, it came down that the FL Wing/CC authorized members to wear NCSA patches (etc) in its place. There is a regulation, update, NB decision, or ICL (can't remember which) I remember reading somewhere that stated this was allowed if the individual Wing Commander authorized it.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

RiverAux

Very professional looking patch -- which means it is also fairly generic, uninteresting, and uninspiring.  Sadly, this is the case with most modern military patches.  But, it is obviously much better than what they had most recently. 

BuckeyeDEJ

Quote from: DBlair on July 07, 2009, 09:12:08 PMThere is a 39-1 ICL that authorized the Wing patch to be optional. Earlier this year, it came down that the FL Wing/CC authorized members to wear NCSA patches (etc) in its place. There is a regulation, update, NB decision, or ICL (can't remember which) I remember reading somewhere that stated this was allowed if the individual Wing Commander authorized it.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the order put out by former Florida commander Col. Dan Levitch was pulled by Col. Moersch -- the order mandating the wing emblem for all Florida CAP members, after the NB made it optional.

Hopefully, the emblem will also be available with Velcro affixed.

CAP since 1984: Lt Col; former C/Lt Col; MO, MRO, MS, IO; former sq CC/CD/PA; group, wing, region PA, natl cmte mbr, nat'l staff member.
REAL LIFE: Working journalist in SPG, DTW (News), SRQ, PIT (Trib), 2D1, WVI, W22; editor, desk chief, designer, photog, columnist, reporter, graphics guy, visual editor, but not all at once. Now a communications manager for an international multisport venue.

Eclipse

Quote from: BuckeyeDEJ on July 07, 2009, 10:13:17 PM
Hopefully, the emblem will also be available with Velcro affixed.

I'm sorry, but Velcro patches on BDU's looks ridiculous.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

I think he means for the zoom bag... which makes some sense, although coming out with a new patch after they have been removed from the service uniform and made "optional" on the BDU doesn't really.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Okay, I'll say it....

SAY NO TO PATCHES!!!!
Serving since 1987.

JC004

Quote from: Stonewall on July 08, 2009, 12:56:34 AM
Okay, I'll say it....

SAY NO TO PATCHES!!!!

It needed to be said.

Pylon

Quote from: Stonewall on July 08, 2009, 12:56:34 AM
Okay, I'll say it....

SAY NO TO PATCHES!!!!

But a Wing or Unit emblem is more than just a uniform patch.  It represents the unit, whether that be in the form of a graphic emblem on CAPR 10-1 compliant letterhead, on a website, powerpoint presentation, training materials or recruiting flier, a seal on a podium or wall or on a challenge coin.  Though not a Flordia Wing member, I can see why they'd want their own, distinctive emblem for use across a wide variety of applications to represent Florida Wing.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP