Forming GTM beret

Started by maverik, June 04, 2008, 03:38:58 AM

Eclipse

Quote from: Bayhawk21 on June 05, 2008, 02:59:09 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on June 05, 2008, 02:25:28 AMand even the NB cannot agree to a simple definition and specification.
And until they do it will be left up to others to decide those things.

...except that's not how it works with military regulations, that which is not explicitly approved is not allowed.

As to exploiting loopholes to do as you please, I'm not sure how you sync that with CAP cores values.

"That Others May Zoom"

FW

I think another review of the regulation is in order.  Here is a short summary of the pertinate section.

From CAPR 39-1:

Table 1-3. Additional Items That May Be Authorized by the Wing/Region Commander
1 General
Wing/region commanders may authorize certain items to be worn for specific purposes within their respective wing/region or within specific units of their
wing/region. Commanders will not use this authority to circumvent National
polices. Examples of purposes of these items are to identify members of
special CAP groups such as drill teams, bands, color guards, and members
participating in emergency services' missions.

4 Berets. Only blue berets may be authorized for special purpose wear. Berets provided at special activities may be worn at the activity ONLY.

If the wing commander authorizes the wear of a blue beret, I guess it's OK.  But only in the wing and only during the activity. (unless earned at NBB).  

This might be a broad interpretation of the reg. but, it does seem to comply.

lordmonar

And that is exactly what INWG/CC did.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

FW

However, I rather wear an orange CAP baseball cap.   ;D >:D

RiverAux

Not all supplements have to be reviewed by higher headquarters.  Though they don't have to be "approved" by higher headquarters, the implication is that if the higher HQ reviews the supplement and doesn't like what they see, they will order that the supplement be revised. 
CAPR 5-4(3)(a)(1)
QuoteIn addition, a copy of each publication must be forwarded to the next higher level of command for review immediately upon publication.

However, I suppose I do have to agree with the intrepreation of 39-1 Table 1-3 that says that Wing Commanders can authorize blue berets for "emergency services missions" as "special purpose wear".  I don't like it, but it seems to be legal. 

However, Note 3 to this table does specifically say that Region "in coordination with" NHQ must approve any items authorized by a wing commander based on this table.  I ASSume this has been done....

I do wonder if the blue beret clause was really meant for such broad use or whether it was meant to accomodate the NBB folks? 

MIKE

Round and round we go... And I think the actual purpose of this thread was answered 4 pages ago.
Mike Johnston