Main Menu

Grey Pants

Started by Stonewall, November 03, 2007, 10:26:15 PM

isuhawkeye

my 5.11s look more dressy, and more professional than the vast majority of CAP grey slacks

star1151

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2007, 06:32:08 AM

Table 4-4. Men's and Women's Golf Shirt/Summer Uniform
Commercial slacks/trousers in medium gray color, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats, with or without cuffs. Cotton/twill weave trousers are authorized (no jeans).

"Slacks/trousers" would seem to imply no cargo pockets....

Eclipse

Quote from: star1151 on December 06, 2007, 06:17:59 PM

Commercial slacks/trousers in medium gray color, full cut, straight hanging, with or without pleats, with or without cuffs. Cotton/twill weave trousers are authorized (no jeans).

Except for places that sell trousers with cargo pockets...

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

I agree with you there.  Personally, I've never seen anyone with anything but "slacks/trousers"; never any cargo/tactical type pants.  Not saying that I don't want them, but I try not to assume I can do something just because it doesn't say I can't.

I went to Kohl's and bought a pair of medium grey Dockers without pleats or cuffs.  Look pretty casual and not too dressy.  Still considering buying a set of grey 5.11s, but the level of participation I'm at in CAP right now, not sure it's worth it either way.

See, I'm a huge proponent of wearing the UOD, but that would require me to get a haircut every two weeks vs every 3 to 4.  And it's just not worth it to me.  Plus, with a kid in the house, it's that much harder to iron my uniforms.
Serving since 1987.

star1151

Quote from: Eclipse on December 06, 2007, 06:29:58 PM

Except for places that sell trousers with cargo pockets...

I've never seen trousers with cargo pockets....

isuhawkeye

SARMedTech

Wouldnt be interesting if it were mandated that the grey trousers were either the 5.11 tacticals or the new Propper "knock offs" which look exactly like the 5.11 but for about half the price.  Or at least specify the shade to worn....as something like "HRT grey" which seems to be what alot of companies are calling their grey tact pants lately.  I think the original 5.11 tacticals or the newer Proppers would look excellent. I wear them for the medical response team Im on when the occasion doesnt call for full BDUs. I still wear them with boots and the t-shirt of turtleneck, I just actually press them and leave my boot blousers in the drawer. I suppose that alot of the simplicity with the IMERT uniforms is that we dont have "fat and fuzzy" and "lean and clean" versions. All members are considered of equal worth rather than discrimination of any kind and as such are allowed to proudly wear the same uniform as the rest of us...reverse flag and all. Speaking of which, there has never been any internal conflict on this team about the purpose, intent or unhappiness with the reverse flag.

See how nice and simple.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Stonewall

You know, after wearing the blue polo (with Master GTM) and grey pants, I took more notice of the fellas wearing the same combo.  They're old!  Seriously, OLD!  At least 25 years older than me.  I can't see them wearing 5.11s or some sort of [nice looking] tactical pants.

But that doesn't change my thoughts of having two types of grey (or khaki) pants with this shirt.  The shirt truly isn't bad looking.  In fact, my wife said it looked good on me.

But, based on the UOD for the squadron, or what type of activity you're attending, we could have "dressier" grey pants for blues nights, and "field type" grey pants for BDU nights.

If I were working mission base, I could wear my polo with 5.11s.  If I were attending SLS, I could wear more appropriate trousers.

Just sayin.  That could be my complete collection of CAP uniforms in my currrent status as a sort of show up type guy.
Serving since 1987.

star1151

Quote from: Stonewall on December 07, 2007, 03:06:56 PM
You know, after wearing the blue polo (with Master GTM) and grey pants, I took more notice of the fellas wearing the same combo.  They're old!  Seriously, OLD!  At least 25 years older than me.  I can't see them wearing 5.11s or some sort of [nice looking] tactical pants.

I just asked my coworkers what they thought of me wearing tactical pants.  I haven't gotten an answer yet, because they're still laughing.

Of course, my squadron is fairly young, and I see a lot of polo shirt/gray pants, so it's not just old guys!

Al Sayre

If you dont tuck the shirt pocket in to the belt line you look a whole lot younger... :D :D  >:D
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

airdale

Newbie here.  I joined CAP a couple of years ago because it was an opportunity to fly with some purpose beyond $100 hamburgers.  Commercial/Instrument rated, I have been an MP for about a year.  Maybe 1/4 of my flying is CAP, including CAP training.  Zero interest in ribbons, rank, or the fine points of uniformology.

I need another pair of "golf shirt pants."  Reading the regs and this thread, it seems to me that gray cotton cargo pants are legal.  Right?  5.11 Tactical or something like Cabelas Trailhiker 90-0037?

SSgt Rudin

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 23, 2007, 02:56:22 PM
Dickie's makes a medium/dark grey pant that can be found at Wallyworld or other locations, but I don't know the fabric content.

65% Polyester, 35% Cotton.
SSgt Jordan Rudin, CAP

arajca

Quote from: airdale on December 28, 2007, 02:41:15 PM
Newbie here.  I joined CAP a couple of years ago because it was an opportunity to fly with some purpose beyond $100 hamburgers.  Commercial/Instrument rated, I have been an MP for about a year.  Maybe 1/4 of my flying is CAP, including CAP training.  Zero interest in ribbons, rank, or the fine points of uniformology.

I need another pair of "golf shirt pants."  Reading the regs and this thread, it seems to me that gray cotton cargo pants are legal.  Right?  5.11 Tactical or something like Cabelas Trailhiker 90-0037?
As much as many folks would like it, cargo pants are not authorized.

airdale

Quote... cargo pants are not authorized.

With all due respect, can you provide documentation of that?  Is there something supplemental to 39-1?

It would seem that 39-1 requires gray, permits cotton, and permits casual.  Gray cotton cargo pants are within those categories.

Pockets are not mentioned, of course.  But certainly this would not cause one to conclude that pockets are prohibited.  That would be kind of inconvenient.  So how would one conclude that only a particular kind of pocket is prohibited?

Hawk200

Quote from: airdale on January 16, 2008, 11:33:41 PM

With all due respect, can you provide documentation of that?  Is there something supplemental to 39-1?

It would seem that 39-1 requires gray, permits cotton, and permits casual.  Gray cotton cargo pants are within those categories.

Pockets are not mentioned, of course.  But certainly this would not cause one to conclude that pockets are prohibited.  That would be kind of inconvenient.  So how would one conclude that only a particular kind of pocket is prohibited?

It's one of those things where if it doesn't say you can, then don't. Rationalizing that's it's permitted because it's not expressly forbidden is a bad idea and an attempt to climb a rather slippery slope.

Besides, the manual says "slacks/trousers", not "cargo pants". As far as the manual is concerned, cargo pants don't fit the description.

Additionally, how many sets of "slacks" have you seen with cargo pockets?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Hawk200 on January 16, 2008, 11:48:08 PM

It's one of those things where if it doesn't say you can, then don't. Rationalizing that's it's permitted because it's not expressly forbidden is a bad idea and an attempt to climb a rather slippery slope.

Besides, the manual says "slacks/trousers", not "cargo pants". As far as the manual is concerned, cargo pants don't fit the description.

I'd have to non-concur with you, Hawk.

The regulation is silent on the style of casual pants worn with the golf shirt, and for a while, cargo pockets on both trousers and shorts were stylish.  Also, the utility of a heavier, tactical pant with the golf shirt makes the uniform very popular here in Florida.  It is a uniform that can be put on quickly, is very low maintenance, and we use it a lot on UDF missions.
Another former CAP officer

jeders

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on January 17, 2008, 03:37:59 AM

I'd have to non-concur with you, Hawk.

The regulation is silent on the style of casual pants worn with the golf shirt, and for a while, cargo pockets on both trousers and shorts were stylish.  Also, the utility of a heavier, tactical pant with the golf shirt makes the uniform very popular here in Florida.  It is a uniform that can be put on quickly, is very low maintenance, and we use it a lot on UDF missions.

I'm gonna have to chime in here that cargo pants aren't allowed and aren't intended to be worn with the golf shirt. The golf shirt is supposed to be a CAP equivalent to the AF blues short sleeve shirt, would you wear cargo pants with the AF blues shirt if you found them in the correct color and material? Likewise, would you wear cargo pants with that type of shirt in a business environment?

Cargo pants aren't intended to be worn with the golf shirt and shouldn't be worn with it.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

slacks=business to me and business does not equal cargo pants. 
Sounds like a question for the CAP knowledgebase!

SJFedor

Quote from: jeders on January 17, 2008, 03:55:03 AM
I'm gonna have to chime in here that cargo pants aren't allowed and aren't intended to be worn with the golf shirt. The golf shirt is supposed to be a CAP equivalent to the AF blues short sleeve shirt, would you wear cargo pants with the AF blues shirt if you found them in the correct color and material? Likewise, would you wear cargo pants with that type of shirt in a business environment?

I'd have to disagree with you on multiple points. Can you cite a regulation that shows that cargo pants are prohibited?

As well, the polo is absolutely not the CAP equivilant to the AF blues. The CAP corporate blue uniform fills that category, and prior to that, the aviatior uniform w/ white epaulet shirt and grey pants. The polo is that wierd "not formal but not tactical" uniform that falls between the blues and the BDUs.

In a business environment, no, the cargo pants probably wouldn't be the best idea. But on the flip side, would dress grey slacks be the best call for an environment such as working a UDF mission, or even more popular, worn while operating an CAP aircraft? I'd hate to jack up some expensive dress grey pants by getting oil on them during a pre-flight.

"The manual" also identifies the pants we wear with BDUs as "trousers" and not "cargo pants", so I would consider that argument null and void.

Quote from: jeders on January 17, 2008, 03:55:03 AM
Cargo pants aren't intended to be worn with the golf shirt and shouldn't be worn with it.

And with all due respect, that quote above is your opinion, and should really be notated as such. You're speaking as if your opinion is regulation and law, which I'm sorry, but it isn't.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)