Proper placement of badges on BDUs and Field Uniforms

Started by Stonewall, April 08, 2007, 02:48:21 AM

Psicorp

Quote from: ddelaney103 on April 09, 2007, 09:54:29 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on April 09, 2007, 09:29:58 PM
I emailed Vanguard a few months ago, maybe October or November and got nothing but a run around from them.  I suggested they make military badges for CAP but they said it was against regs for CAP members to wear military devices.  Naturally I had to show her the regs to which she replied "no".  Basically she wasn't willing to help in the least.

Vanguard has sucked in every dealing I've had with them.

Word.

I called in an order a couple of weeks ago and tried to get a CAP A-2 nametag with just my name.  They told me I couldn't wear the jacket w/o the uniform because it was against regs.  I resisted the urge to tell them to "Kiss my Grits!"

Do they get paid extra to be CAP's Junior Uniform Police?

I think they pay (royalties) for the privilege
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Slim

I emailed Vanguard a few months ago, maybe October or November and got nothing but a run around from them.  I suggested they make military badges for CAP but they said it was against regs for CAP members to wear military devices.  Naturally I had to show her the regs to which she replied "no".  Basically she wasn't willing to help in the least.

Vanguard has sucked in every dealing I've had with them.

Word.

I called in an order a couple of weeks ago and tried to get a CAP A-2 nametag with just my name.  They told me I couldn't wear the jacket w/o the uniform because it was against regs.  I resisted the urge to tell them to "Kiss my Grits!"

Do they get paid extra to be CAP's Junior Uniform Police?

Not to continue the Vanguard bashing...

They were at our conference a few weeks back, and had a decent amount of product to sell, just didn't seem to be the right products.  The two guys who came along were also very helpful, and glad to order anything needed-with shipping fees waived. Among other things I was looking for were the new navy blue embroidered grade for my blue bag, didn't bring any.  Needed a new flight cap, didn't bring any.  Saw that they had miniature GT badges and thought I might get a mini EMT badge, didn't bring any.  But I did manage to drop about $80 completely replacing all of my ribbons and devices, new aviator and golf shirts, a tie, new MajCom patches, and a flight cap device for one of my new seniors.

It also looks like they've improved the quality of their leather nametags.  Unfortunately, they are unable to put an aero rating and a specialty insignia on them just yet.  I wanted to order a couple with observer wings and an EMT badge.  They told me they could do one or the other, but not both.  

Slim

PHall

Kirt, for your SF Qual Badge in white on blue try  www.thebattlezone.com
I've had pretty good luck with them so far and their workmanship is first rate.
They also have badges from the other branches too.

Stonewall

Actually, Nick McLarty already had some made and is sending me one so I'm good to go.

I remember being a cadet and always wanting some sort of badge for my CAP uniform.  15 Year Old C/SSgt Bowden: "man, they should create some sort of ground team badge or something...".

I've got 2 sets of BDUs for CAP.  I wear one military badge and one CAP badge on each uniform and I still have some left over.  I think we're in a badge-friendly society now.  Be careful what you wish for...

Military
Airborne
Air Assault
AF Security Forces
AF Operation Support
OSD Badge (blues only)

CAP
Master GTM
Observer
EMT
Master CP (blues only)

Cuz I'm a Pee Exx, R A N G E R...

In the Army we could wear it like this... (NO, I DON'T WEAR THIS)
Serving since 1987.

Nick

Quote from: Stonewall on April 10, 2007, 03:48:49 AM
Military
Airborne
Air Assault
AF Security Forces
AF Operation Support
OSD Badge (blues only)

CAP
Master GTM
Observer
EMT
Master CP (blues only)

Yeah, you're kinda screwed there, aren'tcha? :)

Quote from: Stonewall on April 10, 2007, 03:48:49 AM
In the Army we could wear it like this... (NO, I DON'T WEAR THIS)

I thought they revised that to two above the namestrip and two off-centered on the pocket flap?
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

Stonewall

Who knows, that was back in the day.  I saw guys with CIB, EFMB, and Master Parachutist above the name tag; Pathfinder and SCUBA on the pocket flap; and Drill Sergeant on the pocket.

Probably had some foreign jump wings above the right pocket too.

Don't forget there are like 15 tabs now:  Airborne, Ranger, Mountain, SF, Sapper, and President's 100 (Airborne and Mountain are unit tabs, not a qualification).
Serving since 1987.

Nick

Quote from: Stonewall on April 10, 2007, 03:55:53 AM
Don't forget there are like 15 tabs now:  Airborne, Ranger, Mountain, SF, Sapper, and President's 100 (Airborne and Mountain are unit tabs, not a qualification).

Yeah, I saw a sergeant with an Airborne tab and Special Forces combat unit patch today.  He was all hooah with a matching ACU backpack and all.  I wanted to go up and poke him the arm to see what he'd do. :)
Nicholas McLarty, Lt Col, CAP
Texas Wing Staff Guy
National Cadet Team Guy Emeritus

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Slim on April 10, 2007, 02:31:31 AM

It also looks like they've improved the quality of their leather nametags.  Unfortunately, they are unable to put an aero rating and a specialty insignia on them just yet.  I wanted to order a couple with observer wings and an EMT badge.  They told me they could do one or the other, but not both.  

LOL.. I can see it now... CAP FLIGHT MEDIC
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Slim

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 10, 2007, 08:02:20 AM
Quote from: Slim on April 10, 2007, 02:31:31 AM

LOL.. I can see it now... CAP FLIGHT MEDIC

Eh, could have just as easily been a GT badge, I earned that one the hard way back when they first came out.

Slim

Fifinella

Thanks all.  Must confess I have been wearing subdued AF badges on my BDUs. :o  Didn't know how to get white & blue ones.  Placed orders today so I can be squared away and appease the Uniform Gods.  (Don't want to be forced to wear the TTU for pennance.)
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RogueLeader

Quote from: Fifinella on April 11, 2007, 06:51:21 PM
Thanks all.  Must confess I have been wearing subdued AF badges on my BDUs. :o  Didn't know how to get white & blue ones.  Placed orders today so I can be squared away and appease the Uniform Gods.  (Don't want to be forced to wear the TTU for pennance.)
Doesn't have to be w on b,  they are allowed to be subdued.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2007, 06:59:23 PM

Don't discourage him, white on blue looks better for CAP.

Yes, 39-1 says you can wear blue on OD, but if spend the same amount of cash you can keep your uniform looking, well, uni-form.
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Stonewall on April 11, 2007, 07:02:23 PM

Yes, 39-1 says you can wear blue on OD, but if spend the same amount of cash you can keep your uniform looking, well, uni-form.
I'm not saying either way, its up to him to decide.  if he wants whe w/b patches on his CAP Bdu's, fine.  I just didn't him to think that they were mandatory, and to his discretion.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Fifinella

Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2007, 07:25:25 PM

I'm not saying either way, its up to him to decide.  if he wants whe w/b patches on his CAP Bdu's, fine.  I just didn't him to think that they were mandatory, and to his discretion.
Copy.  Thanks.  I see that now, CAPM 39-1, p 114, item 19 "regular or subdued".  Well, the money has been spent now, so...I guess I'll put on the white & blue along with my new U.S. Civil Air Patrol tapes when they arrive. :-\
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

RogueLeader

Quote from: Fifinella on April 11, 2007, 08:29:56 PM
Quote from: RogueLeader on April 11, 2007, 07:25:25 PM

Copy.  Thanks.  I see that now, CAPM 39-1, p 114, item 19 "regular or subdued".  Well, the money has been spent now, so...I guess I'll put on the white & blue along with my new U.S. Civil Air Patrol tapes when they arrive. :-\
Roger
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

QuoteDon't discourage him, white on blue looks better for CAP.

I don't mind members wearing subdued mil badges, especially when they just came over. Where I think you HAVE to go to white/blue is when you're wearing a mil badge with a CAP badge. You REALLY need to make them both match & there's only one direction you can go with that. If you're going to wear just the one or two mil badges & no CAP stuff, then it's a personal pref & doesn't bother me either way.

RogueLeader

Where does it say that they all have to match?  If so, there's a CMSgt that might want to know.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DNall

It doesn't say they have to match, but you know it looks better, and I'd strongly be encouraging people around me to do it. Chief can make up his own mind, but I think he'd probably understand the logic on this & adjust.

RogueLeader

Quote from: DNall on April 11, 2007, 08:46:53 PM
It doesn't say they have to match, but you know it looks better, and I'd strongly be encouraging people around me to do it. Chief can make up his own mind, but I think he'd probably understand the logic on this & adjust.
You're right, i do think they look better, but I don't like the idea that I HAVE to have all my patches be the same- if I came from the RealMilitary™ that is, when the regs say I don't.  If NHQ thought that they should all be the same, they would've written themthat way, but lets not go off on that tangent please.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Hawk200

Quote from: DNall on April 11, 2007, 08:39:14 PMI don't mind members wearing subdued mil badges, especially when they just came over. Where I think you HAVE to go to white/blue is when you're wearing a mil badge with a CAP badge. You REALLY need to make them both match & there's only one direction you can go with that. If you're going to wear just the one or two mil badges & no CAP stuff, then it's a personal pref & doesn't bother me either way.

If you mix the two, it's not so bad with a subdued on top. But it you have an arrangement that involves a CAP badge on top, it looks screwy. Hopefully, I'll have observer wings soon enough, but I probably won't wear anything else on that uniform. One set (or two) of BDU's with my military badges, the other one (or two) with CAP badges.

BTW, anyone know the mandatory wear date for the "U.S. CIVIL AIR PATROL" tape? Wondering if I can let one uniform slide, or if I should pull out the sewing kit.