Proper placement of badges on BDUs and Field Uniforms

Started by Stonewall, April 08, 2007, 02:48:21 AM

Stonewall

I have found that many people don't quite understand or pay attention to the guidelines (read: REQUIREMENTS) for placement of specialty badges/insignia on BDUs.

Here is how CAPM 39-1 says to do it:

CAP 39-1, Chapter 6, Section B

BADGES AND DEVICES

6-6 Description and Proper Placement on the BDU, Utility Uniform, and Field Uniform and Flight Suits.  All white on blue insignia will have 1/8 inch of blue showing at the widest and tallest point of the insignia, except the Civil Air Patrol tape and nametape.  These two will be the width of the BDU or field uniform pocket.  When placing multiple insignia in the same area, measure from the insignia to insignia not blue to blue.....

And although it doesn't say so, I think it should be in black and white that we machine sew our badges and patches to uniforms.  Prior to velcroing everything on, the Army had the policy of requiring badges and patches being machine sewn which helped me out when I'd make corrections on my troops.  In CAP if it ain't written in black and white we can't enforce it.  But it is good practice to have things machine sewn.
Serving since 1987.

Pylon

Quote from: CAP 39-1, Chapter 6, Section B
When placing multiple insignia in the same area, measure from the insignia to insignia not blue to blue...

You're right that it's an area that many people "skim over."   The above quoted section is probably one of the most frequently mistaken/ignored items.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Stonewall

I hope NIN doesn't mind that I borrowed this image....

You'll notice that in the reg, the first badge closest to the CAP tape is measured from the badge to the blue border of the CAP tape, but the second badge is measured from badge to badge.  Thus making the measurements look a bit off, to the trained eye of course.  Like me, NIN moves the first badge so both measurements look equal.  Right?  Not exactly, but perhaps this is something NHQ or the writers of 39-1 didn't pay close enough attention to.

Here is mine (as seen on another thread).  Notice how the badges look identical in spacing between badge to badge and badge to nametape.

Serving since 1987.

DNall

Those jump wings look like their banking right a bit by the way.

MIKE

Still sewn better than most members... Give it a pass.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

Quote from: DNall on April 08, 2007, 06:56:49 PM

Yeah, I noticed too, but not till I put them online.  Will go back to the sewing machine before my meeting tomorrow night.  [darn] OCD kicking in.  8)
Serving since 1987.

DNall

:D
It's not that I wouldn't give it a pass, it is sewn very well, the spacing looks perfect, and it's a badge I certainly hadn't earned yet. However, he seems even more a perfectionist on this kind of thing than I try to be, and that would annoy me on my stuff if I knew it was like that. I'm not saying it wouldn't take me a couple months to get around to fixing, but it'd be in the back of my mind.

Also, is there a good place I can get Army badges in white on blue. Particularly I got a guy that needs enlisted aircrew. Williams & Williams (nametags4u.com) looks good & love the company, but $5x3min=$15 is stiff for one set of sew on wings.

Stonewall

Contact Spur Nametapes at http://www.1800nametape.com/.  They're the ones that made the Army Aircrew wings you see above.  From what I understand they'll make any military badge white on ultramarine for about $2.00.
Serving since 1987.

TankerT

Quote from: DNall on April 08, 2007, 06:56:49 PM

He's just pulling a slip.  That's all.

/Insert Snappy Comment Here

Stonewall

Just got an email back from Spur and then made my order.  Looks like they mostly have Army badges and maybe some Air Force aeronautical ratings, but they didn't have the AF Security Forces badge.

QuoteHello,

We can make basic parachutist and Air Assault badges.  We don't have the design for the AF Security Badges.  You will have to order through an email or call your in.  They are $2.00 each.

Thanks
Teresa Roberts
http://www.1800nametape.com
Spur Name Tapes
1-800-626-3827
text
Serving since 1987.

DNall

I thought you were doing lifesupport? Well anyway, the SF pocket badge isn't authorized, duty badge & have to be doing that duty as a CAP officer to wear it, that's what HQ says anyway. Same applies to instructor, recruiter, etc.

Was there a link on the actual spur website showing some of this stuff? I mean I certainly believe they do it, but It'd make me feel a little better to see a couple quality of work samples, not that it's a big deal. Thanks again for the heads up on them.

Stonewall

Not the "police shield", the SF skill badge.  I switched from Life Support to SF at the end of last year.  I'm finding myself a lot happier working outside with guns and stuff ;-)

http://www.1800nametape.com is the address to the site, but their white on ultramarine isn't advertised.  You asked specifically about Army Aircrew wings, which are posted higher up on this thread.  Darin Ninness had them made from Spur and as you can tell in the picture, they look to standard when compared to the Sr. GTM badge.

You have to either call them or email to tell them what you want.

This is exactly what I emailed them this morning:
QuoteI'd like 3 sets of basic parachutist wings and 3 sets of the air assault badge.  Both sets with white on ultramarine (blue) for the Civil Air Patrol uniform.

That followed my contact information and credit card, they replied and said "thank you, they'll be there in a week or so".
Serving since 1987.

Stonewall

Here they are again, Army aircrew wings.  I think they look great.

www.nametags4u.com also make some badges, but both their version of the parachutist badge and air assault are not close to the standard badge.   However, I have seen their Air Force badges, Ops Support and SF skill badge (not the police shield) and they looked great.  But you have to order at least 3 at $5 a piece.  Spur doesn't have a minimum and they only cost $2 a piece.
Serving since 1987.

DNall

Quote from: Stonewall on April 09, 2007, 08:36:51 PM
Not the "police shield", the SF skill badge.  I switched from Life Support to SF at the end of last year.  I'm finding myself a lot happier working outside with guns and stuff ;-)
Oh ok, well good, I can understand the feeling.

Quotetheir white on ultramarine isn't advertised.  You asked specifically about Army Aircrew wings, which are posted higher up on this thread.
Right, saw those to take care of the one guy. I'll also need some stuff for three other folks, one Army & two AF. I was hoping I was just missing a section in there somewhere that showed a lot of stuff in the format so I could more easily direct those people there rather than holding their hand thru the effort.

I fired off an email for a price quote. I'm sure I'll follow thru on it later in the week. I really appreciate it, I think my guys will be real happy with the result.

Quote from: Stonewall on April 09, 2007, 08:40:48 PM
www.nametags4u.com also make some badges, but both their version of the parachutist badge and air assault are not close to the standard badge.   However, I have seen their Air Force badges, Ops Support and SF skill badge (not the police shield) and they looked great.  But you have to order at least 3 at $5 a piece.  Spur doesn't have a minimum and they only cost $2 a piece.
I had heard about some of those issues from nametags4u, btwn that & price I was pretty hesitant with them. I'm gonna get something in with spur though & see how I like them. Again, appreciate it much.

ddelaney103

Ahs anyone ordered from Uniform Nametape Company (http://www.uniformnametape.com/index.asp)?  They say they can do white on um blue AF badges for $2 each, but I figured I'd check the Peanut Gallery before I place a test order.

Stonewall

Here's a sample of what www.nametags4u.com can do.  This is the SF badge I was refering to.  Again, their AF badges seem to be good to go, but their army badges are a waste of money.  I speak from experience.

Here is their "CAP Info Page": http://www.nametags4u.com/civilairpatrol.html

Serving since 1987.

DNall

Quote from: Stonewall on April 09, 2007, 09:19:45 PM
Here's a sample of what www.nametags4u.com can do.  This is the SF badge I was refering to.  Again, their AF badges seem to be good to go, but their army badges are a waste of money.  I speak from experience.
Seen those, & heard that as well, that's why I hadn't gone with them for any of this work. Hopefully Spur can take care of all I need.

Quote from: ddelaney103 on April 09, 2007, 09:18:21 PM
Ahs anyone ordered from Uniform Nametape Company (http://www.uniformnametape.com/index.asp)?  They say they can do white on um blue AF badges for $2 each, but I figured I'd check the Peanut Gallery before I place a test order.
Sounds like they are talking about standard blue badge on OD background. That's probably not what you want & make sure first. If they can do white on ultramarine then give it a shot. I'm always worried about the shade people want to call ultramarine - including vanguard when sending multiple badges in the same order together.

Stonewall

I emailed Vanguard a few months ago, maybe October or November and got nothing but a run around from them.  I suggested they make military badges for CAP but they said it was against regs for CAP members to wear military devices.  Naturally I had to show her the regs to which she replied "no".  Basically she wasn't willing to help in the least.

Vanguard has sucked in every dealing I've had with them.
Serving since 1987.

ddelaney103

Quote from: DNall on April 09, 2007, 09:24:41 PM
Quote from: Stonewall on April 09, 2007, 09:19:45 PM
Seen those, & heard that as well, that's why I hadn't gone with them for any of this work. Hopefully Spur can take care of all I need.

Quote from: ddelaney103 on April 09, 2007, 09:18:21 PM
Sounds like they are talking about standard blue badge on OD background. That's probably not what you want & make sure first. If they can do white on ultramarine then give it a shot. I'm always worried about the shade people want to call ultramarine - including vanguard when sending multiple badges in the same order together.

You have to call in a special order to get them - they don't advertise them.

ddelaney103

Quote from: Stonewall on April 09, 2007, 09:29:58 PM
I emailed Vanguard a few months ago, maybe October or November and got nothing but a run around from them.  I suggested they make military badges for CAP but they said it was against regs for CAP members to wear military devices.  Naturally I had to show her the regs to which she replied "no".  Basically she wasn't willing to help in the least.

Vanguard has sucked in every dealing I've had with them.

Word.

I called in an order a couple of weeks ago and tried to get a CAP A-2 nametag with just my name.  They told me I couldn't wear the jacket w/o the uniform because it was against regs.  I resisted the urge to tell them to "Kiss my Grits!"

Do they get paid extra to be CAP's Junior Uniform Police?