covers on flight line???

Started by cadet zimmerman, February 22, 2012, 03:12:48 AM

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

^^^

I've seen that one at one of our local airfields a couple of times.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

NCRblues

That is a super nice bird... where can I get one?  >:D
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

cadet zimmerman

Quote from: davidsinn on February 22, 2012, 03:42:43 PM
What are these covers you speak of? The USAF and by extension CAP wear hats or caps.

ive always heard them as covers both in the air force and CAP
Kyle S. B. Zimmerman
C/MSgt CAP
In between squadrons

PHall

SarDragon

Quote from: cadet zimmerman on February 23, 2012, 06:32:31 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on February 22, 2012, 03:42:43 PM
What are these covers you speak of? The USAF and by extension CAP wear hats or caps.

ive always heard them as covers both in the air force and CAP

Well, there are some folks who just never get the right "word". Cover is a term from the other services, which has been introduced and passed on by CAP members with a history in those services. These members have failed, for whatever reasons, to adapt to the AF/CAP way.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Woodsy

Quote from: Thrashed on February 23, 2012, 02:00:36 AM

Yea, but I've never seen a Jet near a CAP plane. Around here, we don't even operate out of airports that have jets.

Don't know where you're from, but on Sunday we were on final into our home base with a Lear in front of us, a Falcon behind us, and when we landed, we went to fill her up at the FBO, and out of 20+ planes waiting on gas, we were the only prop bird around. 

Woodsy

Quote from: Thrashed on February 22, 2012, 08:04:03 PM
In my 15,000 hours of flight time, Ive never seen a hat get sucked off and ingested into a C172. :)

In my less than 20 hours Mission Observer time, I've seen hats blown off by a prop, then sucked into a jet engine.  Twice. 

Thrashed

Well, I guess I'm doing something right. Of those 15,000 hours, 9000 are jet and I've never had nor seen any FOD- especially from hats.

Save the triangle thingy

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Woodsy

Quote from: Thrashed on February 23, 2012, 01:53:03 PM
Well, I guess I'm doing something right. Of those 15,000 hours, 9000 are jet and I've never had nor seen any FOD- especially from hats.

I was hanging out at the observation pavilion next to the runway one afternoon after a Sarex, just watching the planes take off and land.  Both incidents happened on the same day, same airport, about 10 mins apart.  Strong storm was moving in and FBO people were rushing to get some planes moved.  Wind was crazy already but the prop wash sent it flying.  Usually these people would have had hats off at this airport, but I think they were in a hurry so weren't thinking.  Neither incident involved CAP members or planes. 

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Eclipse on February 22, 2012, 05:25:29 AM

As someone who grew up during the Cold War, it still amazes me to see an F-15 (OR ANG?) on the same flightline with a Bulgarian MiG-29...though of course they carried different insignia back then.

I have found that YMMV is very true in terms of whether or not hats are allowed on the flightline.  I've been in situations where hats were required (including once doing flightline safety) and in situations where it was "no hat no salute."
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

Like I said before.

He who owns the flight line owns the rules.

Your airport enfoces a no hats policy follow it.  If not then it is up to supervision.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on February 23, 2012, 06:25:30 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 22, 2012, 05:25:29 AM

As someone who grew up during the Cold War, it still amazes me to see an F-15 (OR ANG?) on the same flightline with a Bulgarian MiG-29...though of course they carried different insignia back then.

I have found that YMMV is very true in terms of whether or not hats are allowed on the flightline.  I've been in situations where hats were required (including once doing flightline safety) and in situations where it was "no hat no salute."

Notice that the Cop is the ONLY person in that photo with a hat. Everyone else (i.e. the maintenance guys) is bare headed.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on February 23, 2012, 10:59:04 PMNotice that the Cop is the ONLY person in that photo with a hat. Everyone else (i.e. the maintenance guys) is bare headed.

Incorrect.

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

Quote from: Eclipse on February 23, 2012, 11:06:51 PM
Quote from: PHall on February 23, 2012, 10:59:04 PMNotice that the Cop is the ONLY person in that photo with a hat. Everyone else (i.e. the maintenance guys) is bare headed.

Incorrect.

Okay, other then the cop, who is wearing a hat? Because I sure don't see any hats besides that beret.

lordmonar

Quote from: PHall on February 24, 2012, 12:29:45 AM

Incorrect.

Okay, other then the cop, who is wearing a hat? Because I sure don't see any hats besides that beret.
The guy with the back pack looks like he is wearing a black ball cap.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on February 24, 2012, 12:32:00 AM
Quote from: PHall on February 24, 2012, 12:29:45 AM

Incorrect.

The guy with the back pack looks like he is wearing a black ball cap.

Yep.

"That Others May Zoom"