covers on flight line???

Started by cadet zimmerman, February 22, 2012, 03:12:48 AM

cadet zimmerman

I'm in a new squadron in idaho and they do not wear covers on a flight line (active or inactive). is there a regulation about this either wing, region, or national?
Kyle S. B. Zimmerman
C/MSgt CAP
In between squadrons

Eclipse

No regulation, though there may be some wings that have supplements to that effect.

It is always a local call.

"That Others May Zoom"

Huey Driver

Huh. I've seen covers forbidden on the flight line at Squadron, Group, Wing, Region, and National activities. It's really just a local call? I believe you Eclipse, just curious.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

Quote from: JerseyCadet on February 22, 2012, 03:28:16 AM
Huh. I've seen covers forbidden on the flight line at Squadron, Group, Wing, Region, and National activities. It's really just a local call? I believe you Eclipse, just curious.

Yes.   For every MSO or FLS who says that hats on a flight line are a bad idea, there is one who believes that sunburn or heat stress is as much of a risk as
FOD or chasing FOD.

A lot of members I know wear ear protection or aviation headsets when working the flight line (myself included), so that negates the risk of a fly-away hat.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

AD AF it's no hat no salute area most of the time.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: abdsp51 on February 22, 2012, 03:50:47 AM
+1 At encampment they (AF AD & FL ANG) told us that.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

PHall

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 22, 2012, 04:21:37 AM

Do you know why?

Hats getting sucked into engines is kinda hard on the equipment.

Woodsy

Forget it being a local CAP call..  It's more of an airport call.  If someone walks on the flight line at any of the airports near me, they're gonna get yelled at by airport / FBO people.  And forget it on a military flight line, it darn well better be off.

I'm actually kind of surprised we're even having this conversation.  I've never seen a single flight like where it was acceptable for anyone (CAP or otherwise) to wear any sort of covers / hats, and that has nothing to do with CAP.  The exception is sometimes FBO and airport employees wear "color coded" hats that are secured with straps of ear muffs. 

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: PHall on February 22, 2012, 04:28:09 AM
Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 22, 2012, 04:21:37 AM

Do you know why?

Hats getting sucked into engines is kinda hard on the equipment.
Yes, I know.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

MSG Mac

The hat can be blown off (or sucked off) by the engines propulsion resulting in Foreign Object Debris. If a hat goes into an engine (especially a jet) it can cause thousands of dollars in damages. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

NCRblues

For what its worth...

The EAA requires flight line workers at EAA Airventure to wear covers because of sun burns.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Eclipse

Quote from: Woodsy on February 22, 2012, 04:28:30 AMI've never seen a single flight like where it was acceptable for anyone (CAP or otherwise) to wear any sort of covers / hats, and that has nothing to do with CAP.

From the CAWG FLM Home Study Course.
Headgear
Your BDU cap is not normally worn on flight lines.  However, there may be situations such that marshalers
may want to wear headgear during CAP aircraft marshaling.  This may be because of intense sunlight, rain, or
just for warmth.  If worn, though, they should be secured somehow.  Hat retainer devices may be locally
purchased or fabricated, to help secure the hat.  But it is VERY important to remember that should a hat or
anything be blown from a marshaler's head, let it go!  Under NO circumstance should a marshaler run on the
flight line.  Carefully walk and retrieve it.  It is mandatory, however, that head-coverings be removed and
stored securely during any activities involving helicopters or if any turbine powered engines are in the area.
Your FLS should brief you on headgear during his team briefing.  If he doesn't, ask! 

"That Others May Zoom"

Spaceman3750

The one time a year I'm on a flight line (when my squadron helps a local aviation museum with their annual fundraising fly-in) I'm cover off. I have to do too much near moving aircraft to risk it getting blown off (into someone's expensive turbojet, prop, or rotor) or risk having my vision restricted. As a result, my face is usually medium to extra crispy by the end of the day.

lordmonar

Bottom line.

The call is in the hands of the flight line owner and/or the activity director.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

cadet zimmerman

sorry all, i wasnt clear enough. I meant will during squadron drill and they are drilling on the ramp at the local airport.
Kyle S. B. Zimmerman
C/MSgt CAP
In between squadrons

Eclipse

Quote from: cadet zimmerman on February 22, 2012, 03:33:07 PM
sorry all, i wasnt clear enough. I meant will during squadron drill and they are drilling on the ramp at the local airport.

Different question, same answer - local call, however likely a non-issue.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Lord

In most cases, I think the restriction is ridiculous. One one side of a rope are airshow visitors with beach umbrellas and floppy hats, and on the other side are CAP Cadets doing crowd control and working on their heat stroke and melanomae. If the wind is strong enough to suck your hat off, and there are jet engines around, it makes sense, but with conventional engines and props, it seems a little over-reactive. Its more likely that a tumble weed or a seagull will be aspirated by an intake than a patrol cap. Like ear protection, hats or "covers" as are jar-headed brethren say, IMHO, should be worn by default when conditions permit and safety makes it wise. How many of us have seen Cadets ( and seniors) melt like slugs with salt on them on toasty flight lines? If in doubt, just staple or super glue your cadets covers in place.....it will only sting for a couple of hours.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

davidsinn

What are these covers you speak of? The USAF and by extension CAP wear hats or caps.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

If I had to define an SOP strictly from experience:
If it's an air show, you're under cover.
If it's not an air show, you're not under cover.

The "it could fly off and get sucked into .. " citation seems fairly universal.

However the times I have been in operation under cover on a flight line I do make a habit of pulling it down extra so it's tight. I've also never seen one just go flying off, and certainly seen many other items doing that ..

So, local call. Way of the land, whatever.

Woodsy

Well I guess I was wrong!  First time for everything I guess!    :o

In this area, you would (and I have, more than once) get yelled at for walking onto the flight line with head gear.