Main Menu

Short Stacking

Started by Zen Master Charlie, July 05, 2011, 01:05:24 AM

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: elipod on July 07, 2011, 03:55:50 AM
Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 05, 2011, 02:16:15 AM

Agreed, and like I had said, I am proud of my ribbons, but my whole concern arose when a former Army officer who just jokingly said to me in a nice way, You look like a little General. It was kinda' funny at the time, but I thought about it, and its a sad truth. Its kind of embarrasing. In CAP its cool, I can show off all I want to younger cadets, but from an outsider standpoint, it looks rather unprofessional... like we get ribbons for squating on a toilet or something...

I saw this while reading this thread. I have to disagree with the part that says

" like we get ribbons for squating on a toilet or something..."

Would you really call the WEEK of volunteer time, that we take off our jobs, to help run an Encampment or activity, 'squatting on a toilet or something...' ?

What about the countless hours of studying and essay / speech / SDA writing, that goes into the milestones. Is that really, 'squatting on a toilet or something...'

Think about it.

Read through it again. I dont personally think that the weeks or months we spend planning things is squatting on the toilet. But I feel like an outsider (mainly ex-military) might think something similar. That was in refferance t the ex-col telling me i looked like a little general. Its kind of like when i see a young marine with one strip who has more ribbons than some spaatz cadets, I cant help but wonder, what the crap do they get ribbons for?

Im sorry if I didnt make that clear, but to be sure, I dont think that, but I know others might.
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

Zen Master Charlie

Quote from: a2capt on July 07, 2011, 04:08:32 AM
Yup.. outstanding attitude. Good luck with that.

Haha, you and Eclips just crack me up, you two are so similar. Read my response to the other poster about the whole "squatting on the toilet" thing, and become enlightened.  ;D
"A lot of life is a lot of crap"

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: elipod on July 07, 2011, 03:55:50 AM
I saw this while reading this thread. I have to disagree with the part that says

" like we get ribbons for squating on a toilet or something..."

Plus, it's not true.  I know from many, many hours of supervising cadet testing, including for milestones.

I think the chest candy you get, and I don't like saying this as it reflects badly on CAP, depends on what squadron/wing you're in, and who you know at wing.  I've seen second lieutenants with 3-4 Commander's Commendations because they hold a wing position.

OK, to blow my own hot air for a bit.  What you see in my sig line is everything I have earned in CAP, and that is as a Captain with service from 1993-2001, 2003-2006 and 2009 to present.  There are breaks because of personal reasons, including a lot of moving.

My first squadron was a composite (really should have been a cadet) squadron (oversized flight, really) that had to drive like 70 miles to train with another unit.

My second one was a flying club senior squadron that didn't give a rip about uniforms, let alone chest candy (meaning: nobody got put in for commendations/ribbons unless they were Find, DR, etc.)...though I did get my Observer wings through them (actually through wing Observer schools).

My third one was a nonflying composite squadron where I got my Commander's Commendation, and I was utterly gobsmacked to get that.  I didn't know I was going to get it until a Wing conference.

My current unit is the best, and most active, unit I have belonged to, but unless I get another surprise like the Commander's Commendation, I don't see being awarded much else except the Garber that should be coming through in the next few months.  The vast majority of what I do is behind the scenes and isn't much except making sure the unit functions as smoothly as possible, as far as I am able, and that's not really the kind of thing to earn MSA's, ESA's, DSM's or Achievement Awards, really.

As I said on another thread, by my calculations I should be eligible for my second, if not third, clasp for my Red Service Ribbon, but I would feel somewhat foolish putting myself in for it...that's just me and my neurosis personality quirks (look up "tall poppy syndrome").

I know it's much different on the cadet side, as they have so many achievements that come with a ribbon.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

davidsinn

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 07, 2011, 06:12:40 AM

Haha, you and Eclips just crack me up, you two are so similar. Read my response to the other poster about the whole "squatting on the toilet" thing, and become enlightened.  ;D

The fact that three different people have mentioned your attitude sucks should be a clue...
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

elipod

How does my attitude suck? Please enlighten me. I'm not being disrespectful. I'm curious, concerned, and open to criticism.
"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

davidsinn

Quote from: elipod on July 07, 2011, 03:10:37 PM
How does my attitude suck? Please enlighten me. I'm not being disrespectful. I'm curious, concerned, and open to criticism.

Who said your attitude sucks? I was referring to Zen Master Charlie. He's the one that's been throwing a hissy fit when he doesn't get his way and generally acting disrespectful and arrogant.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

elipod

"Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else"

James Shaw

This thread seems to have started off with a sense that we should be "embarassed" about the uniform you wear or the achievements that someone has earned and worked for. Why should anyone feel embarassed about their individual achievements, if it really bothers the person to wear their recognition for their or the groups hard earned work then the best solution would be to quit doing the work and go somewhere else. If you are embarassed when an Army Officer or anyone else demeans your achievements and work then maybe you are focusing on the wrong thing. Why should any CAP member, no matter if they are a cadet or senior be embarassed about their volunteer work and recognition. This seems like more of a personal situation than a real concern.

I follow the regs to the T per CAP regs.

One of my favorite quotes of all time "No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them", Eleanor Roosevelt

I do not consider myself any better than others when I am in a group of fellow CAP members.
I do not consider myself any less than others when I am in a group of fellow CAP members.

I would like to know; What is so embarassing about wearing what you have earned?

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

Ned

Quote from: caphistorian on July 07, 2011, 03:31:22 PM
I would like to know; What is so embarassing about wearing what you have earned?

Nothing, as long as it is appropriate to the occasion, and appears professional and aesthetically pleasing.

And that's where reasonable people can differ.

Some people feel there is a time and a place to wear all possible earned badges and awards, and times and places where it is not appropriate.  Just as it would look silly to wear ribbons on a utility uniform in the field, it is always appropriate to wear all earned awards on formal occasions like a CAP banquet.

It is probably in routine duty situations that people most often disagree.  Some feel full ribbons and bling is appropriate for office work on a meeting night; others thing the work enviornment calls for minimum bling - usually just required items like grade, nameplate, and aviation/duty badges.  I tend to fall in the latter camp.

And most people feel that it is possible for a given uniform to have too many awards and ribbons.  That's the whole cliche about "Latin American Generals." 

It's all about striking a balance and trying to achieve consensus.

And Goodness knows, we will never achieve consensus when discussing uniforms on CAPTalk!

Grumpy

James Shaw

Quote from: Ned on July 07, 2011, 06:35:40 PM

Nothing, as long as it is appropriate to the occasion, and appears professional and aesthetically pleasing.

Agree 100%

And that's where reasonable people can differ.

Some people feel there is a time and a place to wear all possible earned badges and awards, and times and places where it is not appropriate.  Just as it would look silly to wear ribbons on a utility uniform in the field, it is always appropriate to wear all earned awards on formal occasions like a CAP banquet.

Agree 100%, I personally do not wear the PAO, CP, or AE when I am functioning as a Historian. Those are not my primary duties at this time. I dont wear them all on the dress uniform either. At this moment I am a Historian, I dont see the need to wear CP, AE or the like when I am not in that current assignment.

It is probably in routine duty situations that people most often disagree.  Some feel full ribbons and bling is appropriate for office work on a meeting night; others thing the work enviornment calls for minimum bling - usually just required items like grade, nameplate, and aviation/duty badges.  I tend to fall in the latter camp.

Agree 100%, I am a minimulist when it comes to normal duty wear.
And most people feel that it is possible for a given uniform to have too many awards and ribbons.  That's the whole cliche about "Latin American Generals." 

It's all about striking a balance and trying to achieve consensus.

Agree 100%, on striking the balance. I am not saying we should wear every badge, ribbon, or pair of wings everytime we put the uniform on. I just wonder why some would be "embarassed" about their hard work and recognition they receive for it?

And Goodness knows, we will never achieve consensus when discussing uniforms on CAPTalk!

Jim Shaw
USN: 1987-1992
GANG: 1996-1998
CAP:2000 - SER-SO
USCGA:2019 - BC-TDI/National Safety Team
SGAUS: 2017 - MEMS Academy State Director (Iowa)

The CyBorg is destroyed

Just as it would look silly to wear ribbons on a utility uniform in the field...

Sir, the Young Marines do it.   :P

it is always appropriate to wear all earned awards on formal occasions like a CAP banquet.

Some years ago I knew a Lieutenant Colonel, with combat service in Korea, whom I never saw wear anything on his blue service dress other than his pilot's wings.

Same camp.

Our cadets wear all theirs, but officers usually don't, or if they do, it's often the "top three."  I usually just wear Observer wings along with grade/nameplate when required; most often you'll see me in BBDU's and/or the blue utility jumpsuit, depending on weather and UOD.

And most people feel that it is possible for a given uniform to have too many awards and ribbons. 

Heresy, sir, heresy!!!! 8)

Certainly you jest!
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

titanII

Quote from: CyBorg on July 07, 2011, 07:39:43 PM
And I think it looks silly. Also I would question the purpose of wearing dress uniform articles on your utility uniform. One wouldn't wear a tie or a service cap with BDU's.

That reminds me:

Yeah, 'cause the Kaiser won all those medals by himself.   ::) ;D
No longer active on CAP talk

Eclipse

This thread seems to have started off with a sense that we should be "embarassed" about the uniform you wear or the achievements that someone has earned and worked for. Why should anyone feel embarassed about their individual achievements, if it really bothers the person to wear their recognition for their or the groups hard earned work then the best solution would be to quit doing the work and go somewhere else. If you are embarassed when an Army Officer or anyone else demeans your achievements and work then maybe you are focusing on the wrong thing. Why should any CAP member, no matter if they are a cadet or senior be embarassed about their volunteer work and recognition. This seems like more of a personal situation than a real concern.

I follow the regs to the T per CAP regs.

One of my favorite quotes of all time "No one can make you feel inferior unless you allow them", Eleanor Roosevelt

I do not consider myself any better than others when I am in a group of fellow CAP members.
I do not consider myself any less than others when I am in a group of fellow CAP members.

Excellent post. 

I could not begin to care what someone from another service, especially someone misinformed about my service, thinks about my uniform,
especially in light of the fact that I am standing next to a (presumably) paid professional on my own nickel.

I earned "whatever" by working within the parameter of my organization, they think I did a good job and gave me "whatever".

"Anything else?"

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

I dunno, I look at cadet Caldwell's huge sig and think... he could remove 10 ribbons from that rack and as long as he wears the pocket rocket, it tells the same story but is a little less obnoxious.
Mike Johnston

lordmonar

Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 07, 2011, 06:09:19 AM. But I feel like an outsider (mainly ex-military) might think something similar. That was in refferance t the ex-col telling me i looked like a little general.

Well to be blunt....screw them.   We don't wear ribbons to impress outsiders....nor should we care too much about what they think.....because it is not a fair comparison.

Of course any cadet with more ribbons than a general....would look silly if generals and cadets were the same thing.  But they are not.

If we are going to campare cadets with "real military"....then any cadet with even one ribbon wouild look silly as the lowerest AB fresh from BMTS is better then most cadets up to and including some Spaatzens.  So no one should have ribbons at all by that reasoning.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

ProdigalJim

Quote from: davidsinn on July 07, 2011, 02:23:37 PM
Quote from: Zen Master Charlie on July 07, 2011, 06:12:40 AM

The fact that three different people have mentioned your attitude sucks should be a clue...

Make it four.

Cadet, you haven't said much about yourself here in this thread, but what you HAVE said ... and the behavior you've engaged in ... speaks volumes. Snidely telling someone to "become enlightened" (Especially someone to whom you would be obligated to render a salute if you encountered him in real life)? Responding to observations that you're acting like a dork by declaring it's "an Internet forum" so it's all okay? Not to mention failing to take the time and effort to respond when people have offered helpful, on-topic replies to the original post that you made, and thinking that mispellings and exclamation points compensate for poor reasoning.

You're right on one thing: David and Eclipse (that's with an 'e,' by the way, hawkeye) are indeed similar. They're adults. You are not.

I was a cadet officer just under 30 years ago. CAC, like you. Took my Earhart, too. Encampment staff. Etc. I taught cadets under my command that everyone, from C/Airman (that's with one stripe, rather than one strip) to superior officers, deserved human respect. Those who follow you will do so willingly and cheerfully if they believe in you and leadership, and one way to make that happen is to be professional IN EVERY ASPECT OF YOUR MILITARY BEARING. Declaring that you don't need to be professional here because "it's an Internet forum" is, well, unprofessional.

Oh, and there's a Code of Conduct for this little Internet forum. Here are two salient portions from it:

>>All members will respect the opinion and dignity of other members, whether or not they may be present.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and certainly discourse on varying opinions is excellent. However, members will not attack others based on their opinions and beliefs, regardless of whether they agree or not.   <<

>> Keep in mind that a certain level of professionalism must be maintained on the discussion board.  <<

You're young, and brash, and probably pretty high-speed in your unit. I get it. But go back and re-read your own posts with an open mind...consider it a Leadership exercise. Think honestly about how people might *interpret* your meaning. And then re-consider the attitude you bring to your posts here.

As they say on the radio here, "Not a sermon, just a thought."

Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

lordmonar

lordmonar

Quote from: titanII on July 07, 2011, 07:55:29 PM
And I think it looks silly. Also I would question the purpose of wearing dress uniform articles on your utility uniform. One wouldn't wear a tie or a service cap with BDU's.

That is the only uniform that Young Marines wear IIRC.  So they have a field version and a non field version.  Not that I agree with it....but it is not like the YM's are sporting ribbons while they are out doing the compass course or doing PT.

Just so you know.

arajca

Quote from: lordmonar on July 08, 2011, 01:27:52 AM
Quote from: titanII on July 07, 2011, 07:55:29 PM

That is the only uniform that Young Marines wear IIRC.  So they have a field version and a non field version.  Not that I agree with it....but it is not like the YM's are sporting ribbons while they are out doing the compass course or doing PT.

Just so you know.
Actually, I saw them wearing their ribbons on their bdus while working at a disaster scene.