Chain hanging on BDUs?

Started by niferous, February 10, 2011, 02:24:08 AM

niferous

So last night at our meeting we had a new senior member that is moving from Michigan show up in his uniform.  Normally that wouldn't be a big deal or worth mentioning at all.  However I noticed that this guy (he's a major by the way) was wearing that red ranger badge I've heard about on here and also he had this chain that went from the button slit on the top of his BDU buttons and down to under his pocket flap. 

What the heck is that thing for?  Me and all the other senior member couldn't figure it out.  His hair was too long to be in regs.  I don't normally worry about hair all that much but it seems that this guy has just made changes to the BDU uniform without asking anyone.  I know that's not uncommon in CAP (unfortunatley) but I've never heard of this chain thing before. 

Ideas?
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

MSgt Van

exFlight Officer

Did anyone respectfully consult (not sure if consult is the right word to use) him about his uniform?

The chain could be attached to a pocket watch, maybe ?? You mentioned that the chain went down under the pocket flap ... just an idea. I own a pocket watch myself.

Respectfully,

PHall

I'll bet cash money there's a whistle at the end of that chain inside the pocket.

CAP Producer

Quote from: niferous on February 10, 2011, 02:24:08 AM
So last night at our meeting we had a new senior member that is moving from Michigan show up in his uniform.  Normally that wouldn't be a big deal or worth mentioning at all.  However I noticed that this guy (he's a major by the way) was wearing that red ranger badge I've heard about on here and also he had this chain that went from the button slit on the top of his BDU buttons and down to under his pocket flap. 

What the heck is that thing for?  Me and all the other senior member couldn't figure it out.  His hair was too long to be in regs.  I don't normally worry about hair all that much but it seems that this guy has just made changes to the BDU uniform without asking anyone.  I know that's not uncommon in CAP (unfortunatley) but I've never heard of this chain thing before. 

Ideas?

He's a Major and should know better. Sounds like your CC needs to "counsel" this guy on the proper wear of the uniform.
AL PABON, Major, CAP

RiverAux

A lot of folks will attach a whistle that way, but every one I've seen has been on a cord.  Never seen a whistle on a chain.

nesagsar

I dont remember mention of a whistle in 39-1.

SarDragon

Quote from: RiverAux on February 10, 2011, 04:04:03 AM
A lot of folks will attach a whistle that way, but every one I've seen has been on a cord.  Never seen a whistle on a chain.

Actually, the "Fabled First Sergeant's Whistle" comes with a chain.

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Persona non grata

Because it makes him feel special so dont hurt his feelings when you tell himto take it off  ;D.........The only time I wore a whistle is when it got assinged a traffic detail.  After that detail I removed it.      I am all for the whistle for safety purposes so carry it in your pocket and call it a day.   
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Slim

Not exactly sure who this might be (I do have an idea though).

I will say that neither the Hawk ranger tab, or the whistle/chain are kosher in MIWG.  In fact, our current wing king has been known to tell people to remove them.   

Suggest that the squadron commander talk to him about it.

Slim

niferous

I seriously doubt the commander will say something to him about it. While he is a good guy uniforms just aren't really "his thing". He's shall we say... Very casual.
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

JoeTomasone

<sarcasm>

Quote from: niferous on February 10, 2011, 01:44:22 PM
I seriously doubt the commander will say something to him about it. While he is a good guy uniforms regulations just aren't really "his thing". He's shall we say... Very casual.

</sarcasm>

Insert thought-provoking comment about slippery slopes and whatnot here.

jeders

Well since you're in TXWG, if he goes to the wing conference, just point him out and a few of us will be glad to "counsel" him on following the regs.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

BillB

If he's wearing the Ranger patch the whistle is a Hawk thing. A senior member here also wears a whictle on his BDUs because he attended Hawk.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

RiverAux

While out on a ground team mission and while doing a search line (on which you're supposed to be using your whistle regularly), I'd much rather have it attached to my uniform pocket than worn around my neck.  That being said, wearing a whistle to a meeting is just dumb.

a2capt

Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad.
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle,
And this'll help things turn out for the best, and...

Major Lord

Maybe its his "anti-rape" whistle......or a defibrillator.....or a hearing aid/cochlear implant. You can never tell with Senior Members....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

MSG Mac

Quote from: a2capt on February 10, 2011, 05:27:07 PM
Some things in life are bad,
They can really make you mad.
Other things just make you swear and curse.
When you're chewing on life's gristle,
Don't grumble, give a whistle,
And this'll help things turn out for the best, and...
Wasn't Brian being crucified while he was singing that?
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Just like the subject of the first post.. ;)

Bobble

Just for clarity:

39-1
CIVIL AIR PATROL UNIFORM MANUAL
1-6. Dress and Appearance.

a. Appearance of Men in Uniform. Articles such as wallets, pencils, pens, watch chains, fobs,
pins, jewelry, handkerchiefs, combs, cigars, cigarettes, pipes, and sunglass cases will not be exposed on the uniform. The wear of ...

fob

NOUN:

1. A small pocket at the front waistline of a man's trousers or in the front of a vest, used especially to hold a watch.

2. A short chain or ribbon attached to a pocket watch and worn hanging in front of the vest or waist.
An ornament or seal attached to such a chain or ribbon.

I have found that (at least where I am) it is common practice at local CAP ES training events to wear a lanyard as the OP mentioned, with whistle attached.  I've seen red, green, black and white lanyards. Of course, it then falls to the Squadron Commander to inform the cadets upon their return to the Squadron that it is in fact not permitted for wear.

I have even had a cadet tell me that it certainly was permitted as part of his BDU since it was "awarded" to him upon the successful completion of his ES training.  I sure wish I could have attended that particular "Award" ceremony.
R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."