Obviously we have a Major working for NBC...

Started by Krapenhoeffer, October 19, 2010, 12:37:19 AM

Krapenhoeffer

Well, I was watching Chuck (on NBC), and noticed that this character was wearing a ribbon that looked strangely familiar in the spot reserved for his highest decoration...

Obviously we have a Major working on the Chuck team...
Proud founding member of the Fellowship of the Vuvuzela.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

Hawk200

Krapenhoeffer

I will agree with you there, the AF General character has an atrocious looking uniform.
"And now we just take our Classical Mechanics equations, take the derivative, run it through the uncertainty principal, and take the anti-derivative of the resulting mess. Behold! Quantum Wave Equations! Clear as mud cadets?"
"No... You just broke math law, and who said anything about the anti-derivative? You can obtain the Schrödinger wave equations algebraically!" The funniest part was watching the cadets staring at the epic resulting math fight.

DBlair

Loening Award above what appears to be the Navy Cross and Silver Star, wow.

Also, third row down, doesn't that look like our Garber ribbon?
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

Krapenhoeffer

It isn't. Lacks the vertical red stripes in the middle of the white stripes. That ribbon is still a mystery to me.

ColonelJack

And he has the Loening ribbon on upside down.

For a long time, Hollywood would "get around" the law regarding impersonating an officer by having one ribbon or badge on a character's uniform that, in the real world, wouldn't possibly be there -- like a Spanish-American War ribbon on a WWII uniform, f'rinstance.  Now, since most (not all) shows have some cooperation from the Pentagon, there's no need to do that any more.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Krapenhoeffer

TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
    Subtitle A - General Military Law
    PART II - PERSONNEL
    CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM

(f) While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or
    Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production
    may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not
    tend to discredit that armed force.

So, basically, if they wear it properly, a character in a fictional program can wear a uniform.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C45.txt

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

PHall

With the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on his collar, I hope so.

Krapenhoeffer

The character is a Col. John Casey, USMC, assigned to the NSA.

The show is called "Chuck" and it's on NBC on Monday nights.

In context, he has to put on his full dress uniform so can fake his own funeral as bait.

Eclipse

Quote from: PHall on October 19, 2010, 02:22:17 AM
With the Eagle, Globe and Anchor on his collar, I hope so.

Looks like a seahorse to me, maybe he's from Seaquest!

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

He's also wearing a Philippine Independence Medal but with all the Vietnam era service medals no National Defense medal.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Earhart1971

Yes, he is too young to be wearing Republic of Vietnam Gallentry Cross with Palms!

DBlair

Quote from: Earhart1971 on October 19, 2010, 01:49:19 PM
Yes, he is too young to be wearing Republic of Vietnam Gallentry Cross with Palms!

I was thinking the same thing. lol

Flying Pig

All those medals and no Purple Heart?  Not to mention that unsat haircut.

Thunder

Thats awesome. Leave it to a SAR trained individual to pick that out

SarDragon

Quote from: Thunder on October 19, 2010, 05:51:54 PM
Thats awesome. Leave it to a SAR trained individual to pick that out

Fail.

Capt. Steht is a former (see, got that right, Rob) Marine. I would expect no less, regardless of any SAP qualifications.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARDOC

I hope his character is a reservist...he had the Marine Corps Reserve Service Medal too...

MSG Mac

Quote from: SARDOC on October 19, 2010, 08:15:12 PM
I hope his character is a reservist...he had the Marine Corps Reserve Service Medal too...

That's a Marine Corps Expedionary Medal
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MSG Mac

That's a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal. Did you notice he has two Legion of Merit Ribbons? One on either side of the DSSM.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

SARDOC

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 19, 2010, 08:21:35 PM
That's a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal. Did you notice he has two Legion of Merit Ribbons? One on either side of the DSSM.

I stand corrected you are absolutely correct on both counts....Very strange...the technical advisor needs to be canned.

RiverAux

I had always assumed he was Army special forces from the various hints they've dropped over the first two seasons (just starting to watch the 3rd). 

DBlair

Quote from: RiverAux on October 19, 2010, 08:55:15 PM
I had always assumed he was Army special forces from the various hints they've dropped over the first two seasons (just starting to watch the 3rd).

According to the badges displayed, he is supposed to be Marine Recon.

HGjunkie

I see a Purple heart with a bronze OLC 2 rows under the MSM. His collar is also undone... My OCD is going nuts.  >:(

Do I also spy an IACE Ribbon under the highest one?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

SarDragon

I was thinking that, too. Also, don't USMC Purple Hearts get stars, and not OLCs?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Krapenhoeffer

In context of the scene, he was getting dressed. Only scene I could get a good shot of the ribbons without it being spoiler-rific.

It is also known that he was in Force Recon before being transferred to the NSA.

SPOILER ALERT: This is the "Chuck Wiki" page on the character in question. If you aren't up to date on Chuck, and you actually watch Chuck, do not click.

That means you RiverAux.

http://chuck-nbc.wikia.com/wiki/John_Casey

JohnKachenmeister

I think what you might think is a purple heart is the Navy "E" ribbon, but is that an Army good conduct medal next to it?
Another former CAP officer

DakRadz

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 19, 2010, 11:36:23 PM
I think what you might think is a purple heart is the Navy "E" ribbon, but is that an Army good conduct medal next to it?
I'll second this, and hopefully SarDragon can give some insight as well.

Heh, I remember being a O.O wide eyed freshman thinking my LCDR had earned a purple heart. ::)

SarDragon

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 19, 2010, 11:36:23 PM

Was thinking that, but the device doesn't look quite right. Upon viewing magnified, it looks like the device is the wreath, a little off center. The one next to it looks like a Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal. And no NDSM. Fail.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Shows and movies do it all the time. Don't get me started on the Stargate Shows...

SarDragon

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on October 20, 2010, 02:56:57 AM
Shows and movies do it all the time. Don't get me started on the Stargate Shows...

I think there's a big difference between the USMC, and a fictional, futuristic, non-specific military force. (Not to be confused with NSU)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on October 20, 2010, 03:03:43 AM

I think there's a big difference between the USMC, and a fictional, futuristic, non-specific military force. (Not to be confused with NSU)

Stargate is run by the Air Force, with occasional USMC/USA troops in the mix.

Flying Pig

Third row up, second from right is the "Battle E".  The other one with the two gold stars is the Navy Commendation.  Actually its dark green.

Flying Pig

Quote from: HGjunkie on October 19, 2010, 09:07:57 PM
I see a Purple heart with a bronze OLC 2 rows under the MSM. His collar is also undone... My OCD is going nuts.  >:(

I think so.  The military has no solid red ribbons.

SarDragon

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 20, 2010, 04:07:46 AM
Quote from: HGjunkie on October 19, 2010, 09:07:57 PM

I think so.  The military has no solid red ribbons.

Not exactly true. The Army MUC is solid red, but has a gold frame. I don't see a frame on the the ribbon in the pic, and it certainly is not in the correct place.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MSG Mac

His ribbons are:
Loening Award, Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star
Legion of Merit, Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star
Garber Award, defense meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Navy and Marine commendation Medal
Navy and Marine Corps Medal, Joint Services Achievement Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Presidential Unit Citation
Navy Unit Citation, Meritorious Unit citation, Navy "E" Ribbon, Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Humanitarian Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Medal
Philippine Independence Medal, Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation-Cross of Gallantry, Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation-Civic Action Medal
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JohnKachenmeister

Wasn't the Philippine Independence Ribbon awarded only in 1946?  Also, is this dude old enough to have earned the Vietnam Service Medal?  I got one, but I'm 61, a little old for active duty Marine Corps service.

Do they still award the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal?  I thought all the individual service expeditionary medals were replaced with the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.

MSG Mac

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on October 20, 2010, 10:14:05 AM
Wasn't the Philippine Independence Ribbon awarded only in 1946?  Also, is this dude old enough to have earned the Vietnam Service Medal?  I got one, but I'm 61, a little old for active duty Marine Corps service.

Do they still award the Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal?  I thought all the individual service expeditionary medals were replaced with the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.

Independence Ribbonm was for troops who earned both the Phillipine Defense  (41-42) and the Liberation Medal (1944-45). The VSM was extended to inclufe Operation Frequent Wind, so it could have been earned at the fall of Saigon in 75. 

MCEX and NEX are still awarded in situations where the Marine Corps and Navy are the only services involved in an operation
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JeffDG

OK...for all you decoration gurus out there...here's one I am entitled to...just not in CAP...who can ID it...

spacecommand

Quote from: SarDragon on October 20, 2010, 03:03:43 AM

...Which would be the US Air Force and USAF heavy for SG-1 "the original series". (the other spin offs dive into other branches and space uniforms I don't care about).  Stargate also had the AF Chief of Staff Gen. Ryan and later Chief of Staff Gen. Jumper playing themselves in some episodes.  The show went on to win an award from the USAF for it's portrayal of the Air Force on TV.

The first seasons and movie version were plagued with problems, but they tried to get it right later on in the show.

Though in the end we have enough problems in "the real world" to nitpick at fictional characters. ;)

SG-1 on "Today's Air Force" talking about their relationship with the show (technical advisers, uniforms, how they got things wrong etc)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-D69C-d82s

lordmonar

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 20, 2010, 06:32:26 AM
His ribbons are:
Loening Award, Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star
Legion of Merit, Defense Superior Service Medal, Legion of Merit, Bronze Star
Garber Award, defense meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Navy and Marine commendation Medal
Navy and Marine Corps Medal, Joint Services Achievement Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Presidential Unit Citation
Navy Unit Citation, Meritorious Unit citation, Navy "E" Ribbon, Marine Corps Expeditionary Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Humanitarian Service Medal, Sea Service Deployment Medal
Philippine Independence Medal, Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation-Cross of Gallantry, Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation-Civic Action Medal

Looks pretty good for someone who would have to be about 80+ years old!
(in the phillipines between 8 Dec 41 and 15 June 42.....assume 18 years old when he joined the Corps and when to the Phillipines right out of basic.....in 2010 he would have to be around 87 years old!)
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MSG Mac

Quote from: JeffDG on October 20, 2010, 11:46:30 AM
OK...for all you decoration gurus out there...here's one I am entitled to...just not in CAP...who can ID it...

I give up, it's not listed in any US military service and I couldn't find it under state awards.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

JeffDG

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 20, 2010, 09:21:30 PM

I give up, it's not listed in any US military service and I couldn't find it under state awards.
You seem to have made an unwarranted assumption.

Krapenhoeffer

Hey, CA Wing! Ever considering giving the cadets an economics lesson?

Have some of them write the costume departments of all these Hollywood studios, and offer *discounted* advice for uniforms!  ;D

<sarcasm>
You'll make tons of money!
</sarcasm>

DakRadz

Quote from: JeffDG on October 20, 2010, 09:35:45 PM

Alberta Centennial Medal.

Canadian.

While it seems to be a mostly civilian award (not earned through the military, anyway), it can be worn on the Canadian uniform, as it has a standing in the order of precedence.

P.S. Cadinks for the win!

vento

Quote from: DakRadz on October 20, 2010, 10:07:04 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on October 20, 2010, 09:35:45 PM

Alberta Centennial Medal.

Canadian.

While it seems to be a mostly civilian award (not earned through the military, anyway), it can be worn on the Canadian uniform, as it has a standing in the order of precedence.

P.S. Cadinks for the win!

I'm impressed. How in hell did you Google that one up?

DakRadz

Know the asker, know the answer.

He posted back in August about applying to Canada's version of West Point. So I searched Canadian military decorations, and finally found it on the scourge that is Wiki.

Way on down the precedence, but still there, civilian or no.

I tried China, Russia, North Korea, and Mexico before remembering that, though >:D
Really.

JeffDG

Quote from: DakRadz on October 21, 2010, 12:32:48 AM
Know the asker, know the answer.

He posted back in August about applying to Canada's version of West Point. So I searched Canadian military decorations, and finally found it on the scourge that is Wiki.

Way on down the precedence, but still there, civilian or no.

I tried China, Russia, North Korea, and Mexico before remembering that, though >:D
Really.
yeah...last I checked, it's actually the bottom of the precedence list in Canada...but I do properly posess it!

FlyTiger77

Quote from: DakRadz on October 21, 2010, 12:32:48 AM
Really.

And today's award for entirely too much free time goes to......
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

spacecommand

While researching a completely unrelated topic I came across a photograph from CHUCK!

Sorry it's from the chuck wiki or whatever that's the only image size they had:

jimmydeanno

Quote from: spacecommand on October 21, 2010, 07:37:53 PM
While researching a completely unrelated topic I came across a photograph from CHUCK!

Can you give me a hint?  I don't know what I'm missing...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Rotorhead

Quote from: Krapenhoeffer on October 19, 2010, 01:43:52 AM
TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES
    Subtitle A - General Military Law
    PART II - PERSONNEL
    CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM

(f) While portraying a member of the Army, Navy, Air Force, or
    Marine Corps, an actor in a theatrical or motion-picture production
    may wear the uniform of that armed force if the portrayal does not
    tend to discredit that armed force.

So, basically, if they wear it properly, a character in a fictional program can wear a uniform.

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/10C45.txt

In reality, they can wear it even if it is "improper," or if the DoD doesn't approve, or whatever.

There is NO way the quoted material is enforceable. Which is why no one has ever attempted to enforce it.
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

DakRadz

Quote from: jimmydeanno on October 21, 2010, 11:38:09 PM
Quote from: spacecommand on October 21, 2010, 07:37:53 PM

Can you give me a hint?  I don't know what I'm missing...
Well, on (our) right lapel, her US insignia is horribly off. Actually, both are, it seems.

Also, should her stars be centered on the epaulet? Short though it is, I didn't think they were worn at the shoulder's edge.

That's all I got, though. All her ribbons are recognizable to me as proper Military ribbons. I even see a silver brushed nametag.

JohnKachenmeister

I don't think her US insignia is placed wrong, but her jacket is unbuttoned.  That makes them look wrong because of the fall of the jacket.  I can't tell from the picture if this woman is a general or a colonel.

There is a movie called "Shining Through," which starred Michael Douglas.  That was the WORST MOVIE EVER for military awards and insignia.  Among the errors:  On December 8, 1941, Douglas' character was boarding a C-47 to go overseas.  He already had a CIB and theater awards, although he was still at a Washington DC airport.  Somewhere in the movie, a ribbon fell off his ribbon rack, and he went through the rest of the movie without replacing it. 

Also... the C-47 he got on, supposedly in 1941, had 1943-1944 markings.

The movie wasn't too bad as chick flicks go, but none of the stuff that make movies great: No explosions, rock music, large volumes of small arms fire, car chases, or skin. 

davidsinn

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 03, 2010, 12:18:47 PM
stuff that make movies great: No explosions, rock music, large volumes of small arms fire, car chases, or skin.

You missed one: gratuitous military flying scenes. See "The Final Count Down" for examples, Militarily accurate unlike "Iron Eagle" which also has good flying scenes.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Persona non grata

Wasnt IRON EAGLE based on a true story?

regards,
Doug Masterson
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

davidsinn

Quote from: eaker.cadet on December 03, 2010, 04:15:43 PM

regards,
Doug Masterson

A high school kid and a washed up fighter jock going rogue and wasting an air force and the kid ends up with an appointment to USAFA? I doubt it. The story was so bad the USAF refused to help with it and all the aircraft in the movie are IDF/AF.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Chappie

regards,
Doug Masterson

;D  :clap:  Lost another keyboard due to expulsive blast of coffee
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

davidsinn

Quote from: Chappie on December 03, 2010, 04:42:51 PM

regards,
Doug Masterson

;D :clap:  Lost another keyboard due to expulsive blast of coffee

That was humor...Dang. I missed it. ;D
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

A wannabe true story, maybe.
Quote from: eaker.cadet on December 03, 2010, 04:15:43 PMDoug Masterson
Drop the "on", and with a little more imagination .. you can have your true story. ;)

DakRadz

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 03, 2010, 12:18:47 PM
I don't think her US insignia is placed wrong, but her jacket is unbuttoned.  That makes them look wrong because of the fall of the jacket.  I can't tell from the picture if this woman is a general or a colonel.
Those seemed to be stars to me, and I found the Wiki on "General Diane Beckman" right here: http://chuck-nbc.wikia.com/wiki/Diane_Beckman

So if the stars are supposed to be centered... They're wrong.

Also, my picture with illustrations of the errors I pointed out; the left side (our left) seems to be okay, but the right is definitely off in my opinion:

JohnKachenmeister

You are right, now that you mention it, those DO look like stars, and they should be centered on the epaulet.

But... What do you expect from NBC?  I heard that one of their news nitwits addressed a Marine Lt. Col. consistently as "Lieutenant."

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 04, 2010, 12:31:46 AM
I heard that one of their news nitwits addressed a Marine Lt. Col. consistently as "Lieutenant."

Happens more often than you think. I was having a conversation with a friend last night who consistently referred to a Lt. Col. as Lieutenant until she actually read his full name & grade from her notes.

Rotorhead

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 04, 2010, 12:31:46 AM

But... What do you expect from NBC?  I heard that one of their news nitwits addressed a Marine Lt. Col. consistently as "Lieutenant."
Don't believe every rumor you "hear."
Capt. Scott Orr, CAP
Deputy Commander/Cadets
Prescott Composite Sqdn. 206
Prescott, AZ

Major Carrales

C'mon, folks, its fiction.  I tend to dismiss these science fiction and action programs as being some sort of "alternate reality" type situation.  Thus, I can forgive minor uniform issues as easily as I can accept concepts like downloading an entire database of all the US government's secret information into a person's brain by a neural supercomputer called the Intersect.

lol

Cases in Point...

Isn't that the weird singer guy from the "Space Hippie" Episode?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

caphornbuckle

Want to find uniform/protocol violations in a movie?  Watch "Into the Sun" with Anthony Michael Hall.  First 15 minutes and you'll be going nuts!

Sad thing is that this story is about an Air Force pilot serving as a Technical Advisor to a movie star.  He gives the star advice on how to be more "military".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104521/

Available on hulu.com last I checked.
Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

RiverAux

To me it seems that since the Iraq war started the media has gotten a lot better at military ranks and unit identifications than they were.  We now have an entire generation of national level reporters who have spent a significant amount of time working on military issues which hasn't been the case since Vietnam. 

Obviously that doesn't translate well into Hollywood depictions of the military. 

JohnKachenmeister

ANY improvement in the media would be good. 

Persona non grata

You guys had me all excited when I saw the picture of the guy in the grey uniform, i thought it was the new CSU for CAP.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

The CyBorg is destroyed

That Star Trek episode "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" is one of my favourite, if not the favourite, episodes of the original series of all time.  Look for the opening footage of F-104's being scrambled (Offutt AFB?), and the pilot, Capt. John Christopher, wearing the old orange flight suit with the same leather nameplate and plastic-encased rank CAP still wears.

The SAC SP SSgt's ribbon rack top three is interesting...must have had quite a career, with an Air Force Cross, Distinguished Flying Cross and Air Medal...but no enlisted aircrew wings... ???

I've heard lieutenant commanders on ST addressed as "lieutenant" quite regularly...it's just TV.

With Iron Eagle...those F-16's and Kfirs must have had internal weapons bays, because they seemed to have limitless amounts of junk to shoot at each other.

The grey colonel's uniform would be disallowed for CAP because it has metal grade insignia. ::)

I would be just fine with the old USAAF tan uniform the LtGen is wearing, though.

Seriously, though...if somehow the CSU were granted a reprieve, I wonder if we would be allowed a version of AFROTC insignia to wear as grade insignia with CAP cutouts.  Hard shoulder boards or metal pins for service coat, slides for white shirt (anything to get away from the greys!).

I doubt anyone would confuse those with AD grade insignia, even in the silly "low-light/at a distance" requirements.

And...

You can get them from VANGUARD! >:D

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_465_470&zenid=...

http://www.vanguardmil.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=7_465_469&sort=20a&page=1

It's something like we probably would have gone to if the Tony McPeak uniform would have stayed anyway...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Major Carrales

"Tomorrow is Yesterday," which was meant as a sequel to "The Naked Time" is an outstanding episode.  Did you notice that the Sgt in question has Presidential Unit Citations from Korea and Vietnam yet no service ribbons.

In that DS9 Episode "Little Green Men," the captain has his bars on in a manner I am unaccustomed.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

JohnKachenmeister

Wearing unit awards like the PUC without campaign ribbons is not unusual.  If you are assigned to a unit that holds a unit award, you can wear it while you are assigned to the unit.  It is only permanently awarded to you if you were assigned when the cited action took place.

Major Carrales

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 05, 2010, 11:55:46 PM
Wearing unit awards like the PUC without campaign ribbons is not unusual.  If you are assigned to a unit that holds a unit award, you can wear it while you are assigned to the unit.  It is only permanently awarded to you if you were assigned when the cited action took place.

I'm not pointing it out as wrong, but just pointing it out.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 05, 2010, 11:56:47 PMI'm not pointing it out as wrong, but just pointing it out.

As you stated in a previous post:

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 05, 2010, 04:06:47 AMI tend to dismiss these science fiction and action programs as being some sort of "alternate reality" type situation.

I've started to look at it in the same way. It makes it easier to dismiss things that we know are incorrect. Besides, if there such things as "alternate realities" (which I neither believe nor disbelieve right now), what's to say such a thing wouldn't be right there? (Or "then", whichever applies.)

When you watch fictional programming, just try to watch the story.

Edit:spelling.

manfredvonrichthofen

If anyone has seen the movie "Dear John", I noticed probably the worst uniform mess up that I have ever seen, I mean this was horrible. In the scenes where John is wearing only his dress shirt, look at his shoulder rank, he is a SSG, and his rank slides are upside down for the entire time. This was causing some serious brain problems for me.

SARDOC

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on December 06, 2010, 02:40:21 PM
If anyone has seen the movie "Dear John", I noticed probably the worst uniform mess up that I have ever seen, I mean this was horrible. In the scenes where John is wearing only his dress shirt, look at his shoulder rank, he is a SSG, and his rank slides are upside down for the entire time. This was causing some serious brain problems for me.

They fixed it in the next scene...Man that drove me nuts.  It was so bad even my wife picked it out and other then me she's never been around the military.

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 06, 2010, 02:11:27 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 05, 2010, 11:56:47 PMI'm not pointing it out as wrong, but just pointing it out.

As you stated in a previous post:

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 05, 2010, 04:06:47 AMI tend to dismiss these science fiction and action programs as being some sort of "alternate reality" type situation.

I've started to look at it in the same way. It makes it easier to dismiss things that we know are incorrect. Besides, if there such things as "alternate realities" (which I neither believe nor disbelieve right now), what's to say such a thing wouldn't be right there? (Or "then", whichever applies.)

When you watch fictional programming, just try to watch the story.

Edit:spelling.

In terms of fiction, I find the "alternate reality" thing is the only way.   

Fiction is good for that, The Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres and Petticoat Junction and in the same universe/reality potentially with Hogan Heroes based on one episode of Green Acres that is a flashback where Oliver Wendel Douglas is shot down over Hungary.

Fantasy Island and the Love Boat are in the same universe/reality, I saw one episode where the Pacific Princess brought people to Mr. Roarke and Tatoo.

Watching these programs and having hang ups over these issues in not in the spirit of watching the Television, where we are already suspending disbelief.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

ColonelJack

Quote from: eaker.cadet on December 05, 2010, 06:24:13 PM
You guys had me all excited when I saw the picture of the guy in the grey uniform, i thought it was the new CSU for CAP.

You do know who that is, don't you?  And from what show?

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 07, 2010, 12:20:10 AM
In terms of fiction, I find the "alternate reality" thing is the only way.   

That's the way I live my life anyway...you mean to tell me that I've been living a fiction for the past 45 years? :o ???

I'm NOT going to wake up in a luxurious stateroom aboard the Pacific Princess with the sun shining off Captain Stubing's chrome dome and beautiful Cruise Director Julie about to...well, we won't go down that road.

When I was a kid, Isaac (Ted Lange) was my hero. That guy was so smooth he didn't walk; he glided on silent treads. Plus, he had a poster of Jimi Hendrix (another hero) on his stateroom wall!

THEY didn't quibble and gripe about uniforms!

Hogan's Heroes was another favourite...but I have to throw a uniform nitpick in there! >:D

Corporal Peter Newkirk's uniform was most certainly not an RAF uniform.  It was a mid-1950's USAF uniform with RAF insignia stuck on it.  The shade of blue of RAF/RCAF/RNZAF uniforms is a lot more grey (the RAAF uses a very dark "midnight blue," a shade darker than the USAF - it looks almost black), and battledress (Ike jacket) buttoned all the way up to the top without lapels.  His flight cap is a USAF cap with two buttons stuck on it to look like an RAF one, and he wears it straight on his head...very un-British.  Also, since he was a POW shot down over Germany, he would have worn an aircrew half-wing brevet of some kind (Observer, Wireless Air Gunner, Signaller, etc.).

And for being such a putz, a loveable one but a putz nonetheless, Oberst Wilhelm Klink is very decorated.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: ColonelJack on December 08, 2010, 09:53:49 PM

Jack

He's a cadet.  He doesn't remember Space Family Robinson

Major Carrales

The height of all ridiculousness is when I draw a "CAP CARTOON" and people start the UNIFORM NAZI thing on these caricatures.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DakRadz

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on December 09, 2010, 12:43:44 AM
Quote from: ColonelJack on December 08, 2010, 09:53:49 PM

Jack

He's a cadet.  He doesn't remember Space Family Robinson
Actually eaker.cadet is a SM Major at last check.

CAP_truth

It appears that the general is wearing a National Defense Ribbon with two oak leaf clusters, I only know of one oak leaf cluster that was added but not two. Am I mistaken.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

SarDragon

Quote from: CAP_truth on December 10, 2010, 05:24:09 PM
It appears that the general is wearing a National Defense Ribbon with two oak leaf clusters, I only know of one oak leaf cluster that was added but not two. Am I mistaken.

From Wikipedia:

In the years since the creation of the National Defense Service Medal, it is authorized only for the following time periods:

• June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954 for service during the Korean War
  • January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974 for service during the Vietnam War
  • August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995 for service during the Gulf War
  • September 11, 2001 to a date to be announced for service during the War on Terrorism
Someone who was in the Service before 8/14/74 could conceivably have three awards, but they would likely rank higher than Major.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohnKachenmeister

The National Defense Service Medal uses stars to note subsequent awards.

Hawk200

Quote from: SarDragon on December 10, 2010, 05:38:32 PMFrom Wikipedia:

In the years since the creation of the National Defense Service Medal, it is authorized only for the following time periods:

• June 27, 1950 to July 27, 1954 for service during the Korean War
  • January 1, 1961 to August 14, 1974 for service during the Vietnam War
  • August 2, 1990 to November 30, 1995 for service during the Gulf War
  • September 11, 2001 to a date to be announced for service during the War on Terrorism
Someone who was in the Service before 8/14/74 could conceivably have three awards, but they would likely rank higher than Major.
Strangely, my records show that I have an NDSM with two stars. Still trying to figure that one out, but my personnel guy keeps telling me it's right (although I don't believe him). I've only been in since '88.

SarDragon

That Wiki article may not be up to date. I'm still trying to find more authoritative info, since ISTR that there were three awards for the current goings-on.

[edit] The article appears to be correct. Official USA and USAF sites match the info posted above. You might check with your personnel clerk to see what his justification is.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret