Cadet Moustache??

Started by capchiro, October 16, 2010, 06:59:38 PM

capchiro

Although beat to death, can anyone show me a specific cite to a Reg that says a cadet can wear a moustache or not?  It is my understanding that cadets can wear moustaches if in Reg with the grooming standard, but I can't cite that exactly..
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

Eclipse

39-1.

There is no age specification or limit on grooming.

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

There is for sideburns.  See Attachment 2.
Mike Johnston

HGjunkie

It doesn't specify wether or not cadets can wear a moustache. I have an interesting story about this exact problem...
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Look, if a cadet wants to look like a 'tard, let them have a properly groomed mustache. There is no specification and regs are provided, so that's what they follow.

I've done it, and sometimes still do- I look like a 'tard, but it can be painful to shave sometimes. I keep it in regs. No one has ever said anything to me..

Hawk200

Quote from: HGjunkie on October 16, 2010, 07:29:26 PM
It doesn't specify wether or not cadets can wear a moustache.
The grooming standards for mustaches are for male members. The manual doesn't differentiate between cadets and seniors.

IceNine

Quote from: DakRadz on October 16, 2010, 08:07:45 PM
Look, if a cadet wants to look like a 'tard, let them have a properly groomed mustache. There is no specification and regs are provided, so that's what they follow.

I've done it, and sometimes still do- I look like a 'tard, but it can be painful to shave sometimes. I keep it in regs. No one has ever said anything to me..

Must have missed the sensitivity training this year huh?
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

DakRadz

Quote from: IceNine on October 16, 2010, 09:53:44 PM
Quote from: DakRadz on October 16, 2010, 08:07:45 PM

Must have missed the sensitivity training this year huh?
Heh. That's my personal opinion of teenagers with mustaches. I've yet to meet someone who has more than peach fuzz on the lip. I wouldn't actually state it in such a manner to a cadet.

Like I said, I think it's stupid on me too. And most teens that I've dealt with are going for the hard-kewl factor.

manfredvonrichthofen

I'm sorry but there is nothing hard-kewl about the Super Trooper look.

DakRadz

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on October 16, 2010, 10:56:13 PM
I'm sorry but there is nothing hard-kewl about the Super Trooper look.
That's why I think it's so hilarious.. ;D
I understand if you're running behind on time and merely made sure you were properly shaved, but trying to be hard-kewl with that mustache just makes it hard for me to maintain my bearing while inspecting. ;)

Flying Pig

Do the regs address peach fuzz?  Should there be a whisker standard in the 39-1?  If I can see the skin through your brush, it aint no brush.

jimmydeanno

I just wish it would address the mustache standard for women.  I've seen some of our female members with thicker mustaches than I can grow...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

tsrup

taken from 39-1
1-6. Dress and Appearance. All members of CAP must be well groomed and assure that their appearance at all times reflects credit upon themselves, CAP, and the Air Force.

a 13 year old's peach fuzz does not cut it for "well groomed".  Heck neither does what currently attempts to grow on my upper lip.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Lt Oliv

Quote from: tsrup on October 17, 2010, 07:33:38 AM
taken from 39-1
1-6. Dress and Appearance. All members of CAP must be well groomed and assure that their appearance at all times reflects credit upon themselves, CAP, and the Air Force.

a 13 year old's peach fuzz does not cut it for "well groomed".  Heck neither does what currently attempts to grow on my upper lip.

The regs address how the peach fuzz is trimmed and shaped. If the peach fuzz is trimmed and shaped appropriately, then the peach fuzz in within regs, whether we agree with the fashion statement being made or not.

Personally, I don't think cadets should be permitted facial hair.

Go to basic training, no facial hair at all, why should the cadets get the special treatment?

But hey, if little Johnny wants to grow a mad-cool "stache" then there is probably nothing we can do to talk him out of it. At least we can make sure little johnny makes it not look like TOTAL crap...

Also, as a side note. I'm of Greek-Italian descent. I was able to grow a full beard at 14. :)

Eclipse

Quote from: Lt Oliv on October 17, 2010, 03:16:36 PMGo to basic training, no facial hair at all, why should the cadets get the special treatment?

Um...CAP isn't basic training? Also it lasts up to 9 years and participation is on a part-time basis?

To stretch non-apropos analogies, the cadet program is much more akin to tech school than BMT, where Airmen get back to a much more "normal" life.

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

Isn't there a uniform argument lurking around here, somewhere?
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

a2capt

Well, there is uniformity to the viewpoints. 39-1 has been mentioned...

Lt Oliv

Quote from: Eclipse on October 17, 2010, 03:21:03 PM
Quote from: Lt Oliv on October 17, 2010, 03:16:36 PMGo to basic training, no facial hair at all, why should the cadets get the special treatment?

Um...CAP isn't basic training? Also it lasts up to 9 years and participation is on a part-time basis?

To stretch non-apropos analogies, the cadet program is much more akin to tech school than BMT, where Airmen get back to a much more "normal" life.

I can't speak for the AF, but in Navy A Schools you are not permitted facial hair unless you were in the fleet first. If you head there straight out of boot, you have to be clean shaven.

It wasn't meant to be a direct analogy, I was pretty much stating that in the military while in training status, a restriction on facial hair is pretty common. But then again, someone said something, so I suppose Eclipse is morally obligated to express some sort of disagreement and attempt to demonstrate intellectual superiority.

tsrup

Quote from: Lt Oliv on October 17, 2010, 03:16:36 PM
taken from 39-1

The regs address how the peach fuzz is trimmed and shaped. If the peach fuzz is trimmed and shaped appropriately, then the peach fuzz in within regs, whether we agree with the fashion statement being made or not.

Sure the peach fuzz is properly shaped and trimmed but does it meet the requirements of the second part of that statement?

If it looks like crap in uniform, then it makes the whole uniform look like crap, and that does not bring credit to our organization for the Air Force.  Plain and simple. 
Paramedic
hang-around.

Lt Oliv

Quote from: tsrup on October 17, 2010, 06:02:01 PM
Quote from: Lt Oliv on October 17, 2010, 03:16:36 PM
taken from 39-1

Sure the peach fuzz is properly shaped and trimmed but does it meet the requirements of the second part of that statement?

If it looks like crap in uniform, then it makes the whole uniform look like crap, and that does not bring credit to our organization for the Air Force.  Plain and simple.

Yes...it does meet the requirement. Because if the cadet's facial hair is within regs, then they are considered to be "well groomed."