Main Menu

Medic

Started by MedicForce, June 20, 2010, 07:23:09 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: Eclipse on August 17, 2010, 02:19:16 AM
If they do it has been double-secret.

Most likely this, like the HSO badges, was/is in anticipation of a published spec that has yet to be decided (and may never).
So pick them up now for collectible purposes. In ten years or so, they'll probably be worth what you paid for them.

arajca

They were authorized a couple years ago at an NB meeting. I don't have the details in front of me now...

SARTAC Medic

CAP Emt Badges are approved IAAW Cap Regulation 39-1.  The Specific section escapes me at the moment.  Requirements (outside of the normal approval required to OFFICIALLY wear the badge) are as such;

Basic EMT - Completion of state EMT training which meets federal Department of Transportation standards for EMT training.

Senior EMT- Completion of state EMT training at or above the level defined by the Department of Transportation standards for EMT training at the Level of EMT Intermediate (yes, i know that there are two NREMT standards  either one is fine)

Master EMT - Completion of state EMT Training at the Level of Paramedic as defined by the Department of Transportation

Some states (such as New York for Example) have more then the three levels of training.   For instance new york has emt, emt- intermediate, emt-critical care, and paramedic. 

the critical care level AND the intermediate level in NY Both meet the minumum of the department of transportation standards for EMT- intermediate and there for at BOTH qualified for the senior emt badge. 

Since there are many states ( last time i checked, 50 of them) there are many individual state levels of training.  Non the less each state has to compare their standards to that of the department of transportation.

For those who are only national registry qualified, i think, that the same standards apply.  If I am wrong about that part, I am sorry...
NY Wing SARTAC

arajca

If you are NREMT certified, but your state does not accept NREMT, you can't wear the badge since you won't be state certified.

Майор Хаткевич

As someone not with an EMT background, can someone explain why we have a NREMT if it's not "recognized" everywhere? Or why it's not recognized in some/most places?

Hawk200

Quote from: LIG SAR Medic on August 17, 2010, 07:55:13 PM
CAP Emt Badges are approved IAAW Cap Regulation 39-1. 
There is no CAP Regulation 39-1. CAP Manual 39-1 shows only a single EMT/Paramedic badge (Figure 6-17, page 119).

If these badges have been authorized, then the award criteria is in another communication.

JayT

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 17, 2010, 10:18:54 PM
As someone not with an EMT background, can someone explain why we have a NREMT if it's not "recognized" everywhere? Or why it's not recognized in some/most places?

The NREMT (just went over it today in Paramedic school) was set up to help ensure a uniform standard for training and testing across the country, as well as set up a system of reciprocity. All but a dozen or so states 'recognize' an NREMT certification.

In New York for example (someone correct me if I'm off base with other states), you take the New York State Emergency Medical Technician B/I/CC/P Exam at the end of your test, and become state certified. I/CC/P then also have to meet the county Medical Advisory Committee testing or what not standards to operate under that areas Control.

New York doesn't 'recognize' the NREMT. So if you want to transfer to a New York agency, you need to have a card from a state that New York has a reciprocity agreement with. 
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

SARTAC Medic

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 17, 2010, 10:30:30 PM
There is no CAP Regulation 39-1. CAP Manual 39-1 shows only a single EMT/Paramedic badge (Figure 6-17, page 119).

If these badges have been authorized, then the award criteria is in another communication.

Way to miss the forest because you are looking at the tree's....

Bust my chops because i referred to a manual as a regulation, really?  I am sure while I think I had a fair handle on the award requirements for the emt badges, i am sure there was some falt there... did you really have to pick apart that little tid bit?   

Why not make this constructive rather then go on the attack for my mis label of a MANUAL. 
NY Wing SARTAC

ßτε

Quote from: KB Answer 1484EMT/Paramedic badge and patch
    Question
     If I am certified by a State agency as an EMT, can I wear the EMT badge and patch?
     Answer

Yes, you must be a licensed EMT to wear the EMT badge.  Upon satisfactory completion of a US DOT EMT/Paramedic Training Course or approved equivalent and licensing, members may wear the EMT badge or patch meeting the requirements in CAPM 39-1 CAP Uniform Manual 23 Mar 2005.  Provide a copy of your completion certificate to your professional development officer for entry in your records.  Note: Vanguard lists a senior and master Paramedic/EMT badge but CAP currently has not established criteria for these levels.
(Emphasis added)

Hawk200

Quote from: LIG SAR Medic on August 18, 2010, 12:01:06 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on August 17, 2010, 10:30:30 PM

Way to miss the forest because you are looking at the tree's....

Bust my chops because i referred to a manual as a regulation, really?  I am sure while I think I had a fair handle on the award requirements for the emt badges, i am sure there was some falt there... did you really have to pick apart that little tid bit?   

Why not make this constructive rather then go on the attack for my mis label of a MANUAL.
Then I'll take another tact: the basic badge is illustrated in 39-1, but there is no award criteria in that publication for any level of EMT/paramedic badge whatsoever.

I gave you the benefit of the doubt, and pointed out the fact that your post was inaccurate.

RiverAux

So, NHQ knows Vanguard is selling EMT badges to CAP members that they aren't actually allowed to wear? 
Now, Vanguard can certainly sell anything they want, but I think CAP should have at least a little bit of influence on what items they list in the CAP section and should ask for those others to be taken out. 

SARDOC

Quote from: JThemann on August 18, 2010, 03:35:04 AM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 17, 2010, 10:18:54 PM

The NREMT (just went over it today in Paramedic school) was set up to help ensure a uniform standard for training and testing across the country, as well as set up a system of reciprocity. All but a dozen or so states 'recognize' an NREMT certification.

In New York for example (someone correct me if I'm off base with other states), you take the New York State Emergency Medical Technician B/I/CC/P Exam at the end of your test, and become state certified. I/CC/P then also have to meet the county Medical Advisory Committee testing or what not standards to operate under that areas Control.

New York doesn't 'recognize' the NREMT. So if you want to transfer to a New York agency, you need to have a card from a state that New York has a reciprocity agreement with.

States have the right to license or certify all healthcare providers within their state.  The United States Department of Transportation sets minimum standards for Emergency Medical Technicians at all levels.  If the State wants to compete for USDOT highway funding the state has to meet or exceed the level set forth by the DOT.  The National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians is a private organization that verifies training competencies to the MINIMUM DOT levels.  Some States however change their requirements usually exceeding the minimum standard and therefore do not accept the Minimum established standards for reciprocity to practice within their state.  National Registry just verifies you've met basic minimum training...that is not an authorization to practice medicine at that level.  You must be certified or licensed by the state in which you practice.

SARTAC Medic

While I should have done the research before sticking my neck out, i did find a CAP released Reference to the three levels of the EMT badge. 

Released in 2005 from the National Board Meeting was a slide show entitled something like "Looking Sharp In Uniform"  it was a slide show that had, amoungs other things the NEW senior and master EMT badges.   

I have looked and there is no regulation or manual which lists award criteria for the badge. 

NY Wing SARTAC

Hawk200

Quote from: LIG SAR Medic on August 19, 2010, 02:24:25 AM
While I should have done the research before sticking my neck out, i did find a CAP released Reference to the three levels of the EMT badge. 

Released in 2005 from the National Board Meeting was a slide show entitled something like "Looking Sharp In Uniform"  it was a slide show that had, amoungs other things the NEW senior and master EMT badges.   

I have looked and there is no regulation or manual which lists award criteria for the badge.
That's one of the problems with using National Board minutes as regulatory. Sometimes (or more accurately a lot of times) what's discussed at NB doesn't end up in the pubs.

The criteria you listed seem fair, but we're all still waiting for the pubs to catch up.

SARTAC Medic

Considering that there have been a few uniforms changed between 2005 and now, and there hasnt been a revision of the CAPM 39-1 since then, we might be waiting a long time before we see it published...
NY Wing SARTAC

Hawk200

Quote from: LIG SAR Medic on August 19, 2010, 02:17:00 PM
Considering that there have been a few uniforms changed between 2005 and now, and there hasnt been a revision of the CAPM 39-1 since then, we might be waiting a long time before we see it published...
Yeah, that bothers me too. They can post the notes and things approved from a board meeting that happened ten minutes ago, but it takes years to update a pub? Not staying on top of updating them is a problem. The uniforms alone have what, about a half dozen ICLs since '05?

The one thing that people first see of us seems to be considered the last priority. I'm not saying it should be first (safety or ops should be, my opinion), but it needs to be somewhere near the top.

Eclipse

Quote from: Hawk200 on August 19, 2010, 03:45:11 PMThe one thing that people first see of us seems to be considered the last priority. I'm not saying it should be first (safety or ops should be, my opinion), but it needs to be somewhere near the top.

It needs to be a baseline "given" with little need or room for interpretation.

Make the choices, write it down, accept the wailing and gnashing of teeth and never have the conversation again.

"That Others May Zoom"

ltdaubach

I'm finding a common theme with all of these threads on this site.  Everyone likes to argue about everything.  To answer the question that was first asked. you must be a EMT-B; EMT-I; EMT-P to wear the EMT badge.  This means that you must be NREMT registered.  As being a field or squadron medic.  There is really no such thing.  At big activities there are "Medical Officers" that treat CAP members when they become injured.  But when EMTs go on Ground Teams and come up on a injured person, you have a duty to act.  You are trained to help persons in medical need while waiting to get them to hospital care.  You are able to help within your training.  All things that you will learn when you go through EMT school.

arajca

Quote from: ltdaubach on August 27, 2010, 08:12:29 PM
I'm finding a common theme with all of these threads on this site.  Everyone likes to argue about everything.  To answer the question that was first asked. you must be a EMT-B; EMT-I; EMT-P to wear the EMT badge.  This means that you must be NREMT registered.  As being a field or squadron medic.  There is really no such thing.  At big activities there are "Medical Officers" that treat CAP members when they become injured.  But when EMTs go on Ground Teams and come up on a injured person, you have a duty to act.  You are trained to help persons in medical need while waiting to get them to hospital care.  You are able to help within your training.  All things that you will learn when you go through EMT school.
You do not have to NREMT registered. I am not, but I certified in CO (where I live). The requirement is to be certified in your state. Some states do not recognize NREMT so having that doesn't work in those states. Some states have a dual track - state cert & NREMT (CO is one). Some only recognize NREMT.

Check with your wing HSO to determine the Duty to Act limitations. CAP is not a medical service. Some states have a blanket duty-to-act requirement, some don't. For some, it depends on your medical control/system.

This broad range of issues is a major reason why CAP is not medical service provider. Having a consistant policy nationwide is not possible for a civilian organization. Money is the other major reason - providing liability coverage would cost more than CAP has .

RogueLeader

Can we be CLS (Combat Life Saver) Trainingfor Seniors?  Its a 40hr class that has the Blood-borne patogens, 1st aid, with some really cool training with giving IVs and nose hoses.  I learned it all in the RM.  That way we could be more "high speed- low drag".
:P

8) JK btw
WYWG DP

GRW 3340