Brand new, NTC-approved, inexpensive handheld radios!

Started by JoeTomasone, April 01, 2013, 02:05:25 PM

radioguy

For those of you who are not yet aware, there is a freeware software program that will work with this radio (and others).  It is called CHIRP and can be found at this site... http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home 

I have no connection to this software, but I have used this application to program several radios, including Wouxun models, and it is vastly easier to use than many of the Chinese OEM applications.

John

JoeTomasone

Just got mine, and it works quite well.  I've noticed the same issue with narrow-only channels as others here have.  Maybe they will get it fixed up with a firmware upgrade someday?  I'm not hopeful, as the software didn't seem to have an option to push firmware.

I used both the downloadable software and Chirp - which is much better - to program the radio.

brent.teal

So if I pick one of these up I should not buy the RT systems software and cable, rather just the cable?
$50 vs $16 or so.
Brent Teal, Captain. CAP
NER-PA-102 Deputy Commander, Communications officer, or whatever else needs doing.

starshippe

i'm not sure just what bells and whistles the other software has, but i found the oshing software perfectly usable. u type in the freqs u want, u download them to the radio. thats about it. u can save them away as a project and download the same list into another radio, etc. or upload from one radio and download to another.
   personally i will not be making that many changes to the channel list. possibly, if u will be making numerous changes, u might benefit from a bell or whistle or two. perhaps someone can list the benefits of the other software.
   for prospective buyers, remember that u must get a programming cable and software of some sort in order to get freqs into the radio. 

bill

radioguy

Received my 6X about two weeks ago and created a full CAP template that appears to work just fine.  Noticed that the 6X seems to have a few more manners (menu-wise) than my earlier 3D model.  For example - I can change PL codes on the fly (not possible with the 3D) and I can ADD or DELETE a channel from the scan list using menu item 33 (also not possible with the 3D).  In addition, I was told today that my TX audio seemed to be a bit "hot", prompting me to back away from the built-in microphone.  This is not the case with the 3D.

Does anyone else have any similar comparisons?

John

Brad

My 6X came yesterday and I'm greatly impressed with it. Using it for ham and CAP work. I also programmed mine using the KG-UV6X Commander software, which from what I read is highly recommended over the OEM software.

Available here as freeware: http://www.kc8unj.com/kguv6.html

Also picked up the Diamond high-gain antenna to complement the rubber-duck stubby.

The only thing I've noticed is that my FM radio memories, i.e. car stereo, won't save to the radio via the Commander software even if I program them into the sheet.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

johnnyb47

So I picked up a UV3X to see what I could get it to do after I sent my UV6X off to live with a friend for a while (long story.... never got to attempt programming)
I can't read from the radio at all.
Various versions of the drivers and different software (UV-Commander, Chirp, etc) and on several different PC's. No joy.

Interestingly enough I can't get this OR any of my Baofeng UV5r/UV5r+ radios to program using windows 7.
I guess it's time to build back up a Windows XP machine to keep on hand.

Anyone having any luck with Windows 7? Or are you all using Windows XP or Linux to program?

thanks.
Capt
Information Technology Officer
Communications Officer

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SarDragon

I have Win 7 Home Premium on my laptop, and it worked fine. I have the RST software, and the USB cable.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

johnnyb47

Quote from: SarDragon on July 16, 2013, 06:12:16 PM
I have Win 7 Home Premium on my laptop, and it worked fine. I have the RST software, and the USB cable.
That makes me feel a little better.
I had a cable but I never purchased the RST software.
I just bit the bullet and ordered a new cable and the software pack to see if it makes any difference.

thanks.
Capt
Communications Officer

SarDragon

I'm on a Yahoo! Group dealing with the radio, and there has been heated discussion on the various programming options.

KGUV6D-KGUV6X@yahoogroups.com
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Brad

Quote from: johnnyb47 on July 16, 2013, 01:42:56 PM
So I picked up a UV3X to see what I could get it to do after I sent my UV6X off to live with a friend for a while (long story.... never got to attempt programming)
Various versions of the drivers and different software (UV-Commander, Chirp, etc) and on several different PC's. No joy.

Interestingly enough I can't get this OR any of my Baofeng UV5r/UV5r+ radios to program using windows 7.

Anyone having any luck with Windows 7? Or are you all using Windows XP or Linux to program?

thanks.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit and my system was a bit fussy at first, but I finally got it to work after a reboot. I'll export my drivers and send them to you if you want.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Brad

Quote from: Brad on July 17, 2013, 12:23:48 AM

thanks.

I'm on Windows 7 64-bit and my system was a bit fussy at first, but I finally got it to work after a reboot. I'll export my drivers and send them to you if you want.

Clarification: I had issues with the USB programming cable. The software works fine, I use UV Commander. If the cable doesn't give any errors in your device manager it SHOULD work fine. I think I only had one issue with UV Commander itself, but after I unplugged the cable and plugged it back in to reinitialize everything between the driver and UV Commander it was fine.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

johnnyb47

Quote from: Brad on July 17, 2013, 12:23:48 AM

thanks.

If you wouldn't mind. I'd like to compare the driver versions at least.
I'll PM you my email address.

thanks!
Capt
Communications Officer

johnnyb47

Just an update: I was able to program my UV3x without issue, the very first time I tried, with the RT Systems programming software and cable.
It's a higher quality looking cable than the one i received with the other radios I purchased ( i checked.. it was supposed to be compatible).
Interestingly enough I will only program using the RT systems software and the cable. The UV Commander software still won't even read from it using the new cable or old.

Regardless... under $200 for a capable CAP handheld radio.
I'm happy. :)
Capt
Communications Officer

JoeTomasone

FYI, I spoke with Powerwerx the other day regarding the inability to program wideband TX on those channels that require it (marine, state liaison freqs, etc).   Apparently, they have heard the concerns from many folks and have spoken to Wouxun about modifying the bandplan.  A future radio may have this modified bandplan.   However:

1. We don't know when and if.
2. There will be no trade-in program.
3. The radio is not firmware upgradable, so upgrading it is out.

However, they DID say that the audio is a bit hot on this radio, so if you TX on a wideband channel in NB and speak up a little, you might be OK.    We will be testing this out to see if it's a viable workaround.

Brad

Quote from: JoeTomasone on August 01, 2013, 10:19:15 AM
FYI, I spoke with Powerwerx the other day regarding the inability to program wideband TX on those channels that require it (marine, state liaison freqs, etc).   Apparently, they have heard the concerns from many folks and have spoken to Wouxun about modifying the bandplan.  A future radio may have this modified bandplan.   However:

1. We don't know when and if.
2. There will be no trade-in program.
3. The radio is not firmware upgradable, so upgrading it is out.

However, they DID say that the audio is a bit hot on this radio, so if you TX on a wideband channel in NB and speak up a little, you might be OK.    We will be testing this out to see if it's a viable workaround.

My UV6X programed narrowband and wideband perfectly fine. I have my CAP channels set narrowband and my USCG ch 16 and ham channels set wideband. No complaints.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

JoeTomasone

Quote from: Brad on August 01, 2013, 10:56:04 AM
My UV6X programed narrowband and wideband perfectly fine. I have my CAP channels set narrowband and my USCG ch 16 and ham channels set wideband. No complaints.

Brad,

I've used the KG-UV6X Commander, CHIRP, and the Wouxun software to program it, and while the SOFTWARE thinks it's programming narrowband (except for the Wouxun software which yells at you), the RADIO still sets the channel in wideband receive, narrowband transmit.   Even if you enter DEALER-CHANNEL mode and manually program a channel for wideband TX, the "N" still appears when you transmit, which is supposed to indicate narrowband transmit.

Can you detail how you both programmed it and verified that it is actually transmitting in wideband?

wuzafuzz

I used my Wouxon frequently on GMRS.  The audio is inadequate.  If other users crank their volume to hear me then other transmitters blast their eardrums.  I finally went back to using my UHF HT-1250 for GMRS, but that doesn't solve the issue for VHF.  Fortunately I don't have much need for marine band in CO.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Brad

Quote from: JoeTomasone on August 02, 2013, 04:26:37 PM
Quote from: Brad on August 01, 2013, 10:56:04 AM

Brad,

I've used the KG-UV6X Commander, CHIRP, and the Wouxun software to program it, and while the SOFTWARE thinks it's programming narrowband (except for the Wouxun software which yells at you), the RADIO still sets the channel in wideband receive, narrowband transmit.   Even if you enter DEALER-CHANNEL mode and manually program a channel for wideband TX, the "N" still appears when you transmit, which is supposed to indicate narrowband transmit.

Can you detail how you both programmed it and verified that it is actually transmitting in wideband?

I programmed mine using KG-UV6X Commander. The software sends Wide to RX and TX, and I just tested it by keying it. (Side note, held it too close to my Saitek X52 flight stick on accident and it shut it off and made my flight sim's autopilot go wonky when the stick re-engaged, heh)

TX and RX both indicating Wideband. Also note for some reason my menu option 12 is not the listed one in the manual (which is actually the KG-UV6D manual) of Power On Message (PONMSG), instead it's an option called "TX-WN" and I have it set to Wide.

For reference I ordered through Ham Radio Outlet instead of PowerWerx directly.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

radioguy

Brad -

My radio has the same issue as Joe's and most (all?) of the 6x's... it will program TX-WIDE *only* for ham frequencies. 

All frequencies other than amateur (including marine and GMRS) will indicate TX-WIDE in software - if set that way - but the radio itself apparently resets TX-WIDE to NARROW once the file is uploaded to the radio.  This setting can not be changed in radio menu #12.  This appears to be true regardless of which software is used (i.e. CHIRP, Commander, etc).

This is interesting.  If your radio truly allows TX-WIDE on a non-amateur frequency, I'd like to hear more about how you were able to do that.

John