Cadets at College / Character Development

Started by TheSkyHornet, October 05, 2018, 06:00:33 PM

TheSkyHornet

I have a couple of cadets in college who still perform support staff duties remotely. It crossed my path on eServices that one did not have Character Development credit prior to going away to school in August.

Under CAPR 60-1:
Quote3.3.1.5. College Students. Cadets who are college students living away from their home unit may,
with permission of the unit commander, assist their squadron or another CAP unit with special projects
via online activity. Cadets who make such contributions, even without attending weekly meetings during
the academic year, satisfy the active participation promotion requirement.

This doesn't speak to Character Development.

My Commander and I chatted last night on this subject, and it was never a thought until we caught it on eServices in entering his SDA presentation last night (we had a conference call for his oral presentation).

What's the general practice/thought process here for cadets in college regarding Character requirements under the promotion curricula?

Eclipse

They still need CDI. The verbiage you quoted relaxes the physical presence requirement for "active participation",
but doesn't change the objective promotion requirements.

"That Others May Zoom"

Paul Creed III

Setup a Skype/Google Meet/whatever to allow the cadet to participate in the CD lesson remotely.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

MSG Mac

Alternatively, If there is a unit near these college age cadets they can attend their CD, safety, and PT tests there. Just takes an e-mail to the local commander. 
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 06, 2018, 12:01:37 AM
Alternatively, If there is a unit near these college age cadets they can attend their CD, safety, and PT tests there. Just takes an e-mail to the local commander.

Even better for a number of reasons.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on October 05, 2018, 06:20:01 PM
They still need CDI. The verbiage you quoted relaxes the physical presence requirement for "active participation",
but doesn't change the objective promotion requirements.

Well, I got that. But I was curious if I missed something outside of 60-1 that was the proper place to be looking instead.

Figured that the CD requirement wouldn't change. I was more so interested in the medium.

Quote from: Paul Creed III on October 05, 2018, 06:43:41 PM
Setup a Skype/Google Meet/whatever to allow the cadet to participate in the CD lesson remotely.

This was my thought.

My hesitance was in which format...during the CD forum (which could be difficult to contribute or even hear depending on the remote call-in, whether laptop or speaker phone) or in a small group session (which takes up additional time).

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 06, 2018, 12:01:37 AM

No POVs available. The nearest unit would be about 30 minutes away.

Sounds like we'll just try to arrange remote participation in the meeting coming up.

MSG Mac

Is there public transportation? Uber? Someone from the visited unit? How far is 30 minutes?
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 08, 2018, 03:02:34 AM
Is there public transportation? Uber? Someone from the visited unit? How far is 30 minutes?

I think roughly 20-25 miles.

This isn't not doable. But I don't think, the one at least, is really planning to visit another unit anyway. He's just performing his role with our unit remotely. We'll figure out the arrangements for a conference call for CD. That's not a big deal. It was just something we didn't really think about until last week, so timing-wise, it was short notice. That was our foul-up on the cadre end.

The other cadet I've got goes to a military college, so even remote participation for him is difficult (despite him offering---not a lot of involvement so far). I think that's an example of not really having an expectation of what college is like, let alone the busy schedule of an ROTC cadet. I'm not too worried on that one.

All good. We've got this taken care of.

Appreciate everyone's input.

xray328

How are you satisfying the SDA requirement where the cadet needs to shadow a senior? My sons in the same situation but even as an AFROTC cadet the only way we could think to continue promotions was to visit a local squadron.

PHall

Quote from: xray328 on October 08, 2018, 11:11:49 PM
How are you satisfying the SDA requirement where the cadet needs to shadow a senior? My sons in the same situation but even as an AFROTC cadet the only way we could think to continue promotions was to visit a local squadron.

Which is what many people do.

xray328

Sorry that was directed at Skyhornet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eclipse

Quote from: xray328 on October 08, 2018, 11:11:49 PM

There's no requirement, per se, that they shadow anyone.
CAPP 60-32 (52-14), Page 3-4

"Service Learning. The cadet serves for at least 8 weeks (56 days) in any support staff position available to
cadets, as approved by the unit commander. See CAPP 60-31 and CAPR 20-1 for suggestions. Cadets having at
least three years' JROTC experience may serve for just 4 weeks (28 days); see CAPR 60-1, 5.4.4 and 5.6.2.3."

"To complete an SDA, you'll need to serve in a support staff position open to
cadets (e.g., cadet public affairs officer, cadet information technology officer,
cadet leadership officer, CAC representative, etc.). If you serve in a "line"
position such as cadet flight commander, cadet deputy commander, or cadet
commander, you will need to choose an additional duty in the support realm. "

A cadet ITO or PAO could certainly be effective without coming to all the meetings.

Unlike the old SDA which were little more then "go ask the Supply Guy what he does",
cadets now need to be formally appointed and perform a cadet-staff role, but that also leaves
a lot of flexibility (probably by design) for cadets who are away at school, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

xray328

Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSkyHornet

Even still, he's not out of contact. He talks nearly every other day with the unit. He's actually apart of planning chats. It's just physically being present that's the difficulty as he's at the other end of the state.

He's our unit's version of what non-Air Force units would refer to as the S-3.