"New" MAJCOM not so new, just noticed this..

Started by Eclipse, April 03, 2008, 02:21:28 AM

Eclipse

I was putting together a blazer for the upcoming conference, and I noticed that the
insignia I bought about 8 years ago actually contains the "new" MAJCOM, sans "US", with "CIVIL AIR PATROL" on it and
even the skewed "R" (mine is slightly different than the one shown, which is actually nicer than mine).

And as I have seen much older versions of this same blazer crest on "seasoned" members, apparently this MAJCOM isn't so "new" after all...

This is the current one from VG, which I will buy if the are there next week:

This is like the one I have:

"That Others May Zoom"

MIKE

Having the crest on the nametag and the blazer patch is kind of redundant redundant don't you think?
Mike Johnston

Eclipse

Quote from: MIKE on April 03, 2008, 02:47:47 AM
Having the crest on the nametag and the blazer patch is kind of redundant redundant don't you think?

To a certain extent, though the black nametag, of course dates back to the old corporate uniform of just a
white shirt with the nametag, and then the blazer went over that.

I haven't worn this thing since those days, I just thought it interesting that the insignia has been around longer than
many of us realized.

Anyone know if the differences in the appearance are due to a Vanguard change to the crest, or is the below version just a typical Hock-shop "almost-right" effort?  I think I may have gotten it there forever ago.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

The bottom one is the same as the one I have. I bought it from the CAP Bookstore.

DC

My tie tac has the same insignia on it, I've had it since the old round command patch was in use.

SarDragon

That wasn't really a command patch; it was the CAP seal. Someone decided CAP needed to look more like the AF, and got the original command patch into the 39-1.

As for the age of the blazer crest, it goes back at least until 1968. It's in the 1968 version I have.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JohnKachenmeister

The CAP had a blazer uniform in 1963, at least.  That's when I was a cadet.  It was for officers only when stateside, but cadets wore it on IACE.

I think that is still the rule.
Another former CAP officer

a2capt

On a side note, not meant to be a thread buster ...

.. but I've always thought that crest in the plastic bag looked absolutely tacky.

Why is this like this, anyway?

Eclipse

Ditto - its so that you don't' have to poke hole in the blazer.

Mine won't be in a bag.

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

I poked holes in the plastic thing, and wore the crest on the outside. Looked OK. I've seen it worn that way a lot.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Gunner C

Quote from: SarDragon on April 05, 2008, 07:06:11 AM
I poked holes in the plastic thing, and wore the crest on the outside. Looked OK. I've seen it worn that way a lot.

It looks like the way the old US Marshals attached their badges.  Tacky?  Yes.  Allowed by the regulation?  I haven't looked.

SAR-EMT1

In my personal, humble, worthless opinion...

Having the blazer count as a uniform is horrible.
Second to that... while having a nametag is great, having the patch below it looks horrid.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Eclipse

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 05, 2008, 10:22:02 PM
In my personal, humble, worthless opinion...

Having the blazer count as a uniform is horrible.
Second to that... while having a nametag is great, having the patch below it looks horrid.

You have to bear in mind that the blazer has been around as the only formal "uniform" way before the CSU.  For years this was the only uniform option for overweight or non-military inclined members who normally wore the whites.

Frankly, its a simple, easy, cheap alternative.  The blue blazer / gray pant look is pretty much a staple in the male wardrobe, so for a lot of members just buy a $8 nametag and move on.

I've full service dress including a brand new "F&D" wheel cap (thanks to a little help from Lordmonor!), but the blazer is going to fill a specific role and need for me when I want to be a lot more subdued / business professional in my appearance (vs. militaristic).

As I mention in the thread about where I got it, its not a GQ look, but fills a need.

PS - the reason it looks "horrid" in a lot of cases is because members don't spend any more time on the fit and finish of this uniform than anything else - jackets that don't fit right, usually too small, pants that don't fit right, shirts that haven't been "white" for a long time, or a tie that looks like it was tied in the dark.

One of my favorite looks is the female member in the husband's too-large male blazer

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on April 05, 2008, 10:51:40 PM
PS - the reason it look "horrid" in a lot of cases is because members don't spend any more time on the fit and finish of this uniform than anything else - jackets that don't fit right, usually too small, pants that don't fit right, shirts that haven't been "white" for a long time, or a tie that looks like it was tied in the dark.

One of my favorite look is the female member in the husband's too-large male blazer

These are typically the same members who grace the "Fouled Up Uniform" posts as good examples of how NOT to wear the uniform.

SAR-EMT1

Eh... actually what I think is 'horrid' is the patch that is attached to the nametag. - the one resembling our MAJCOM
A patch has no business near a suit or sports coat.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

arajca

You're talking about the CAP crest. It has been around far longer than the majcomm patch. Also, the blazer with crest is common for service organiations.

SarDragon

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on April 06, 2008, 12:20:58 AM
Eh... actually what I think is 'horrid' is the patch that is attached to the nametag. - the one resembling our MAJCOM
A patch has no business near a suit or sports coat.

It is not really a patch. I've forgotten the proper name for the construction technique, but it is much more three-dimensional than a patch, and it attached by four pins on the back. When pinned directly to the blazer, it doesn't look out of place at all. However, given its size, and the difficulty of attaching in that manner, many people use the plastic magnutie thingy for convenience.

As stated above, the crest, and blazer uniform have been around since before 1968.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on April 06, 2008, 02:27:31 AM
"Bullion"

Yeah, but that's only really the gold part of it, if they are using real gold at all. I'm familiar with that, having worn gold rating devices and hash marks in the Navy.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

jb512

On that note, has anyone ever worn this thing as a mess dress alternative with the white shirt/bow tie and single medal?  Since I don't have mess dress for a once a year uniform, I thought about this combination for about a second until the mental picture became clear...

Eclipse

Actually I thinking of going that route on Saturday, depends if VG has a mini medal for me in stock (and if I can find a bow tie).   8)

Where does the medal go?

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

From 39-1:

"The CAP blazer combination with a plain white shirt/blouse and black bow tie or blue floppy bow
without name plate and with one miniature medal may be worn on formal occasions, if the member
does not have, is not authorized, or prefers not to wear the mess dress uniform. If the medal is worn,
it will be centered above the pocket so that bottom portion of medal is 1/2 inch above the CAP crest."

Eclipse

OK, another newb question - since my highest medal is a NAT Comm Comm, would that simply be placing the silver star attachment in the center of a standard CC medal?

"That Others May Zoom"

jb512

Quote from: Eclipse on April 07, 2008, 03:32:22 AM
OK, another newb question - since my highest medal is a NAT Comm Comm, would that simply be placing the silver star attachment in the center of a standard CC medal?

That's a good question.  Section 5 in 39-1 doesn't say anything about attachments on medals and we don't have miniature attachments for ours like the RM does.  I would assume you would wear the same devices, but someone else may know how to solve that dilemma...

arajca

Quote from: Eclipse on April 07, 2008, 03:32:22 AM
Usually, the attachments are mounted on the suspension ribbon, not the medal itself. Center the star between the top and bottom of the cloth. If you have multiple attachments, space them equally and vertically.