International Travel

Started by CdnNorthstar, June 03, 2019, 09:07:04 PM

PHall

Quote from: NIN on June 06, 2019, 10:18:19 AM
Back in the 1990s, a bunch of us (not all CAP) were going to Windsor from Detroit.  My car goes thru customs and we go to our destination, and my buddies in the car behind aren't there. An hour later, they finally show up. Seems when the customs officer said "citizenship?" one of the guys in the back seat shouted "We're Libyans!"

The drive across Ontario from Niagara to Windsor or Sarnia is nice. When I went to the Michigan Wing conference in April, that route was my plan. Until my idiot buddy who decided to travel with me at the last minute said "my passport is expired." I had to travel thru the vast wasteland of Ohio.

I would have left your buddy...    Renewing an unexpired passport is pretty painless.

Mitchell 1969

The drive across Ontario from Niagara to Windsor or Sarnia is nice. When I went to the Michigan Wing conference in April, that route was my plan.

I got stuck trying to cross the Satin bridge back to the US on a three-day weekend. I heard estimates of 2 or 3 hours. I made a pit stop in Canada, and asked a restaurant hostess how locals manage it. That's when I learned about the Sombra- Marine City ferry.

Drive about 30 minutes south of Sarnia and there it was. They had two boats - one held about 9 cars, the other held 12. Fare was 6 bucks the first time I used it, eventually rising to $7. That could be US or Canadian, either direction, so I always paid in $CDN.

Took about 15 minutes to cross the St. Clair River (aka the border). After driving off, about 30 seconds worth of conversation with one of the two US Customs guys assigned there. Easy peasy.

I just looked it up. Their facility was damaged in 2018 and they are closed until they can raise $4 million. Too bad - I was planning on using it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

Slim

Quote from: Mitchell 1969 on June 06, 2019, 11:36:48 PM

The drive across Ontario from Niagara to Windsor or Sarnia is nice. When I went to the Michigan Wing conference in April, that route was my plan.

I got stuck trying to cross the Satin bridge back to the US on a three-day weekend. I heard estimates of 2 or 3 hours. I made a pit stop in Canada, and asked a restaurant hostess how locals manage it. That's when I learned about the Sombra- Marine City ferry.

Drive about 30 minutes south of Sarnia and there it was. They had two boats - one held about 9 cars, the other held 12. Fare was 6 bucks the first time I used it, eventually rising to $7. That could be US or Canadian, either direction, so I always paid in $CDN.

Took about 15 minutes to cross the St. Clair River (aka the border). After driving off, about 30 seconds worth of conversation with one of the two US Customs guys assigned there. Easy peasy.

I just looked it up. Their facility was damaged in 2018 and they are closed until they can raise $4 million. Too bad - I was planning on using it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go another 20-30 minutes south of Sombra on Ontario Hwy 33, there's another ferry that runs from Walpole Island, On to Algonac, MI.  Just use a little caution, Walpole Island is a First Nation reservation, and it can kinda be the wild west sometimes.

www.walpoleislandferry.ca

Slim

TheSkyHornet

I had to travel thru the vast wasteland of Ohio.

Love you, too, Darin

NIN

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 07, 2019, 03:01:08 PM
Love you, too, Darin

My history with Ohio is.... chequered. :)

This is an example. :)

And we should probably get on topic, as travel thru Ohio hardly represents "International Travel."

However, I will leave this:

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: NIN on June 07, 2019, 06:21:58 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on June 07, 2019, 03:01:08 PM
Love you, too, Darin

My history with Ohio is.... chequered. :)

This is an example. :)

And we should probably get on topic, as travel thru Ohio hardly represents "International Travel."

However, I will leave this:

More like "Ohioans kick butt and want to explore the universe."
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

kcebnaes

Quote from: Paul Creed III on June 06, 2019, 12:06:40 PM

Hey now...

I dunno, have you been to NW Ohio lately? It's all non-stop rain.
Sean Beck, Maj, CAP
Great Lakes Region sUAS Officer
Various Other Things™

NIN

No thanks. I'm good. In typical Ohio fashion, this time my "get out of Ohio" tax was a new tire. :). At least it wasn't a speeding ticket.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Paul Creed III

Quote from: kcebnaes on June 10, 2019, 04:53:44 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on June 06, 2019, 12:06:40 PM

Hey now...

I dunno, have you been to NW Ohio lately? It's all non-stop rain.

Same thing in NE Ohio.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

SarDragon

Well, let's see - we've heard from the Wolverine/Spartan fans and Buckeye fans, and the Q appears to have been adequately answered so we're outta here.
Buh-bye.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret