Hair Regulations - Please Respond

Started by CAWGcadet, August 23, 2023, 06:11:25 PM

CAWGcadet

I have been having a problem with the hair regulations and I need some advice. My hair is a 3c afro, which means it's really hard to keep my hair within regulation. Currently, my hair is within regulation, but a senior member not from my squadron has told me I need to choose between my hair and CAP. My hair is short so it can't be tied back. I graduate at the end of the year, and my mom has forbid me from cutting my hair. It is a problem because I love CAP but I can't cut my hair. My next promotion can't happen until I figure something out. Please help!

THRAWN

Not sure if this helps. From CAPR 39-1...

Paragraph 3.2.1.3 changed to read: Hair (Female). No minimum length to a maximum bulk of 4 inches from scalp and allows for proper wear of headgear. If worn loose, hair will end above the bottom edge of collar and will not extend below an invisible line drawn parallel to the ground, both front to back and side to side. If hair is pulled back and secured behind the head, radius will not exceed 6 inches from the point where the hair is gathered (i.e., no more than 6 inches to the left and 6 inches to the right, 12 inches total width; and 6 inches protruding from where hair is gathered) and must allow for proper wear of headgear.  One or two braids or a single ponytail may be worn with length not extending below a horizontal line running between the top of each sleeve inseam at the under arm through the shoulder blades.  The braid(s) or ponytail/equivalent cannot be worn over the shoulder or pulled in front of the body. They shall extend down the member's back. Bangs, or side-swiped hair, may touch eyebrows but will not touch or cover eyes.   When in doubt, assess correct length of hair with the member standing in the position of attention. 
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

CAWGcadet

@THRAWN, Thank you. According to 39-1, my hair is in regs. But the senior member said it isn't.

PHall

Quote from: CAWGcadet on August 23, 2023, 08:46:05 PM@THRAWN, Thank you. According to 39-1, my hair is in regs. But the senior member said it isn't.

It's a fairly recent change so they may not have known that your hair is within the reg.

jeders

Quote from: CAWGcadet on August 23, 2023, 08:46:05 PM@THRAWN, Thank you. According to 39-1, my hair is in regs. But the senior member said it isn't.

If your hair is within regs by 39-1, then don't worry about what the senior member says, especially one not from your squadron. If that senior members continues to make it an issue, then talk to a senior member in your chain of command and let them address the issue with that other senior member.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

FlyingPig

A senior member not from your squadron most likely has little, if anything to do with you cutting your hair or promoting.  If no one from your squadron has talked to you about it, I wouldnt lose an ounce of sleep over it, especially if you know youre within the limits of the regs.

That being said, Im a former CAWG cadet.  Sq. 45.  But from waaaaay back!
Robert Steht, Capt.
Mission Pilot/CD Pilot
CFI Airplane / CFI Helicopter
Former Sq. Commander

TheSkyHornet

Really, the only way to tell would be to actually see your hair and compare it to the standard.

"I'm in compliance" doesn't really cut it (pun intended). That's your interpretation of the situation.

That said, not all seniors are current on regulations. And members often promote their own opinion rather than the actual standard for compliance.

That also said, not all cadets are in touch with regulations. And members often perceive their level of content means regulatory adherence.