Command Pilot Wings-CAP

Started by Flying Pig, January 31, 2008, 05:43:42 AM

Flying Pig

If a member comes into CAP with, in this particular case, approx 24,000+ hours, do they still need to wait the 8 years to wear Command Pilot Wings?  I see in the regs its 3 years and 1000 hrs as a CAP Pilot to rate Senior Pilot, and 5 years and 2000 hrs as a Senior Pilot to rate Command Pilot Wings.
I imagine the time frame insures, as best as possible, that the person is a CAP Command Pilot vs  just a pilot with a lot of hours.

CadetProgramGuy

1000 hours as a CAP pilot?  WOW thats alot of flying as a CAP Pilot.

I have seen new members with 4000 hours total get the Command Pilot wings.

jayleswo

Quote from: Flying Pig on January 31, 2008, 05:43:42 AM
If a member comes into CAP with, in this particular case, approx 24,000+ hours, do they still need to wait the 8 years to wear Command Pilot Wings? 

It'as not 8 years, it is 5 years total as a CAP Pilot for Command Pilot and 2000 hours total time.
John Aylesworth, Lt Col CAP

SAR/DR MP, Mission Check Pilot Examiner, Master Observer
Earhart #1139 FEB 1982

Flying Pig

1. Aeronautical Ratings and Requirements.  Requirements for CAP-member aeronautical ratings are:
a. CAP Cadet Pre-solo Rating: Be qualified in accordance with CAPR 60-1, CAP Flight Management. 
b. CAP Solo Pilot Rating: Be qualified in accordance with CAPR 60-1.
c. CAP Pilot Rating: Be qualified in accordance with CAPR 60-1.
d. CAP Senior Pilot Rating:
1) Meet CAP pilot rating requirements.
2) Have been an active CAP-rated pilot for at least 3 years (this service need not be continuous).
3) Have a minimum of 1,000 hours pilot time logged in accordance with Federal Aviation Regulations (FARs).
e. CAP Command Pilot Rating:
1) Meet CAP senior pilot requirements.
2) Have been an active CAP pilot or senior pilot for at least 5 years (this service need not be continuous).
3) Have a minimum of 2,000 hours pilot time logged in accordance with FARs.

AHHHHHHH.....I missed the "or"  Thank You

bosshawk

Rob: I believe that you got it correct: 5 years as a CAP pilot and the required hours.  The time as a CAP pilot is the key item.  I, too, know of pilots who came into CAP with all kinds of hours and wore the Command Wings right from the git-go: not correct, but who wants to tell them that they are wrong?  Not me.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

RiverAux

You sure they weren't wearing military wings?

capchiro

Actually, it would appear that time in the military may count as time as a CAP pilot if a proper request for waiver for substitution is applied for and approved, so most high time military pilots could qualify for CAP Command Pilot Wings.

"Waiver of CAP Service. A request for waiver to substitute military-rated service for the senior and command pilot CAP service requirements must be submitted by wing commanders to the region commander and must include:
1) Proof of the member's military aeronautical rating.
2) Listing of FAA certificates and ratings held. A waiver may be requested anytime, and will be effective upon approval of the region commander."

Hope that helps.
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

BillB

For a long period there was no requirement for length of service in CAP. A pilot with 5000 hours PIC could apply to National for Command Pilot rating, and National sent out a pretty Command Pilot Certificate. Once awarded the person could continue to wear the Command Pilot wings, even if he/she did not renew a medical.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

dhon27

I have a member that was a retired Master Army Aviator.  After he got his Form 5, we submitted a waiver request up to Region, and he was approved to wear the CAP Command Pilot badge.