Aeronautical Rating

Started by SKYKING607, January 31, 2008, 02:01:07 AM

SKYKING607

After an absence of nearly ten years from CAP, noticed that my personnel authorization awarding observer rating was missing from my 201.  How does one retrieve it?
CAWG Career Captain

stillamarine

Ok to make sure I have the question straight...you have been out of CAP for 10 years? You have not been an active MO? If I'm correct, if it's been lapsed for a certain amount of time you have to go through  the process all over again.

Good Luck and welcome back!
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

jeders

You'll basically have to start from the ground up because the curriculum has changed over the past decade. PA or no PA, after it's expired it's expired.

Oh yeah, good luck and good flying.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

RiverAux

Well there may be two slightly different issues here -- the Mission Observer Aeronautical Rating which would allow you to wear the Observer Wings and being a currently qualified Mission Observer. 

Obviously if he is talking about the Mission Observer ES qualification that has lapsed and he has to start over from scratch to earn it.

However, you might read CAPR35-6 such that once you have earned the Mission Observer Aeronautical rating you can keep wearing the Wings even if no longer qualified.  Note that it says you have to be a qualified mission Observer to earn them, but it doesn't specify that you need to be current to wear them (like it specifically says you need to be current and qualified to wear the CAP ES Patch

jeders

Quote from: RiverAux on January 31, 2008, 03:55:24 AM
Well there may be two slightly different issues here -- the Mission Observer Aeronautical Rating which would allow you to wear the Observer Wings and being a currently qualified Mission Observer. 

Obviously if he is talking about the Mission Observer ES qualification that has lapsed and he has to start over from scratch to earn it.

However, you might read CAPR35-6 such that once you have earned the Mission Observer Aeronautical rating you can keep wearing the Wings even if no longer qualified.  Note that it says you have to be a qualified mission Observer to earn them, but it doesn't specify that you need to be current to wear them (like it specifically says you need to be current and qualified to wear the CAP ES Patch

That's how I read 35-6. I was just thinking about being qualified as an observer. Of course if there's no proof of being an observer, then the wings can't be worn. If you have proof other than the PA, then by all means wear them.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

SKYKING607

Guess I'm starting over.   Cannot find the PA awarding the rating, dates back to the late '70's early '80's.  Took one fellow over a year and a half to obtain the rating.  Another two years.

Have DF gear...maybe a ground pounder (again).
CAWG Career Captain

SJFedor

Depending on the op tempo in your area, and how quickly you're able to learn and comprehend the knowledge, you should be able to complete MS and MO pretty quickly.

You can always come to NESA this summer and get it done in a week!

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

RiverAux

It all depends on how active your unit is and how active you are.  Unless your squadron is flying ELT missions every month, it could take you a year or so to get the 4 sorties you would need (2 for scanner and 2 for observer) done.  

LittleIronPilot

Quote from: RiverAux on February 01, 2008, 01:06:58 AM
It all depends on how active your unit is and how active you are.  Unless your squadron is flying ELT missions every month, it could take you a year or so to get the 4 sorties you would need (2 for scanner and 2 for observer) done. 

wow....two of us got our MS/MO's in four months.

Then again we have a LOT of training in Georgia.

RiverAux

A motivated person with lots of opportunities available to them can move pretty fast if they want to.  Usually you have motivated people with no missions to put them on or lots of missions but unmotivated trainees who won't go unless the plane lands in their front yard.