Started by Brad, January 13, 2008, 01:51:48 AM

Brad

Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

NIN

The one that crumped in, or the one that crossed his nose?

I wasn't able to get a good freeze frame on the one that crossed the nose (too many compression artifacts mixed with the interlacing of that video to even tell.  Looked even low-wing!), but the crashed plane looks like a Zenith Air CH-701. (I'm not sure if the 701 has those sort of Aeronca-style wing struts with the cabane wires...)

I could not figure out why it looked at first like a stall-spin situation, but without what I would expect to be a fair amount of nose-down pitch and the associated wind noise (even sans engine).  Then I realized it sounds like the pilot says "I have deployed my parachute" (if he were a pilot *wearing* a parachute, I would expect you wouldn't have heard him say that, since he'd have elected to stop being a pilot and start being a skydiver well before announcing his intentions on the CTAF) which seems to indicate to me he has one of those 'airframe mounted ballistic recovery systems' that uses a mortar -deployed round to lower you to the ground.  His arrival in the field also confirms a nice straight down arrival lacking airspeed, like under a BRS parachute.

Hell, he even walked away. Nice one.

EDIT: on second thought, its probably not a 701 or its larger sister the 801.  They have a very exaggerated "wing leading edge to upper windscreen" difference due to the 701/801 series STOL wing, and the plane in this video does not have that same feature.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Brad

Well according to the description, the crossing plane was towing a banner, although Break is notorious for erroneous descriptions; plus the cable would probably shred once it contacted the propeller, wouldn't it?
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Pace

It's hard to tell from the video, but it didn't look like he was in any dangerous attitude that would prevent a safe off-field power off landing.

[rant]
I thought was was going to need a parachute today when the student I was giving a stage check to put us into a spin twice during power on stalls and later on exercised poor power off stall recovery technique.  I earned my paycheck today...
[/rant]
Lt Col, CAP

NIN

Discovered some info about this:

It was a German Rans R6 collided with a French glider tug's tow rope over France.

QuoteThe German pilot in his Rans S6 Ultralight plane was flying in formation with friends across France. A French towplane crossed his flight path a few moments after he released a glider. Its 60meter long glider tow line gets caught into the propeller of the UL plane and forced the pilot to pull his safety parachute. - In Germany it's required for every UL plane to have an emergency parachute. - Nobody was injured.

http://blog.flightstory.net/category/videos/page/2/
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

lordmonar

In the last few frames you can see the bright blue BRS chute on the lower left corner.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

♠SARKID♠

Ouch, that ones going on the favorites list.