Main Menu

Blue beret

Started by Tactics, April 01, 2019, 06:34:35 PM

Tactics

According to what I've heard, they have removed the ability to wear the blue beret with the ABU's.
Is this true and if so why?

Eclipse

It's not that it was removed, it was and has never been authorized for wear with ABUs outside of NBB.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capmonkey

I'm going to have the fun of requesting a wing supplement to wear my blue beret in my BDU's after I graduate from NBB...

Luis R. Ramos

Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: Capmonkey on April 01, 2019, 06:53:31 PM
I'm going to have the fun of requesting a wing supplement to wear my blue beret in my BDU's after I graduate from NBB...

Um...

"That Others May Zoom"

Tactics

So then why can't we wear it outside of NBB with ABU's?

Eclipse

Quote from: Tactics on April 01, 2019, 07:27:41 PM
So then why can't we wear it outside of NBB with ABU's?

Because it is not authorized.  Beyond that is only speculation.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Air Force berets are symbolic of special duties, whether Security Forces (blue) or special operations forces. The blue beret in ABUs in CAP would have may have some ill-regarded opinions toward CAP members by Air Force personnel.

Quote from: Capmonkey on April 01, 2019, 06:53:31 PM

Huh?

Capmonkey

6.2.5.  Beret.  Navy blue. May be worn by National Blue Beret graduates or by other members when specifically authorized by wing or region supplement or additional NHQ directive. May only be worn with the BDU or Blue Field Uniform.  Position headband straight across the forehead, one inch above the eyebrows. Drape the top over the right ear and the stiffener.  Adjust ribbon for comfort, tie in a knot, and tuck inside or cut-off.  Appropriate flight cap device will be worn unless worn due to Blue Beret attendance, in which case the member will wear the Blue Beret, beret device.

I rest my case.

Eclipse

You rest what case?

You don't need a supplement for something that is already approved for wear, which the beret is for BDUs and CFUs for
graduates of NBB.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capmonkey

It just says when specifically authorized, which is isn't in my Wing or Region

Eclipse

You are not reading that sentence properly.

It is already authorized nationally for wear by NBB participants.

A supplement is needed if the wing allows wear by GTMs, etc.

Edit: fix auto correct.

"That Others May Zoom"

Capmonkey

Got it. Thanks! Sorry for the misunderstanding

Fubar

With the back and forth, now I'm confused. Is this summary correct?

The beret can be worn at the National Blue Beret Activity, regardless of the field uniform.

Outside of the activity, it can only be worn with Blue BDUs (corporate uniform) or the BDUs (which are being phased out). They cannot be worn with the ABU uniform once you're not at the activity (I bet a lot of NBB participants are sticking with BDUs these days).

Interestingly, it can be worn outside the activity (only in BBDUs or BDUs) by those who attended NBB or if authorized by a wing/region supplement (so everyone in a wing could in theory wear a beret, just with a different device on the front).

All that said, I believe unit commanders and activity directors can still set the uniform of the day and exclude certain optional items, like berets, from their meetings/activities if they so desire. I also bet a wing commander can put forth a no beret edict in their wing if they so wish (I believe that's happened before).

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Fubar on April 02, 2019, 06:26:50 PM
The beret can be worn at the National Blue Beret Activity, regardless of the field uniform.

Outside of the activity, it can only be worn with Blue BDUs (corporate uniform) or the BDUs (which are being phased out). They cannot be worn with the ABU uniform once you're not at the activity.

Interestingly, it can be worn outside the activity (only in BBDUs or BDUs) by those who attended NBB or if authorized by a wing/region supplement (so everyone in a wing could in theory wear a beret, just with a different device on the front).

Correct.

QuoteAll that said, I believe unit commanders and activity directors can still set the uniform of the day and exclude certain optional items, like berets, from their meetings/activities if they so desire. I also bet a wing commander can put forth a no beret edict in their wing if they so wish (I believe that's happened before).

A unit commander could say "no berets during weekly squadron meetings." That's within their privilege and authority.

QuoteI bet a lot of NBB participants are sticking with BDUs these days

If that's one's sole reason for sticking with BDUs up until the suspense date, they really need to get their priorities in order.

Capmonkey

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 02, 2019, 06:36:51 PM

Outside of the activity, it can only be worn with Blue BDUs (corporate uniform) or the BDUs (which are being phased out). They cannot be worn with the ABU uniform once you're not at the activity.

Correct.

QuoteAll that said, I believe unit commanders and activity directors can still set the uniform of the day and exclude certain optional items, like berets, from their meetings/activities if they so desire. I also bet a wing commander can put forth a no beret edict in their wing if they so wish (I believe that's happened before).

A unit commander could say "no berets during weekly squadron meetings." That's within their privilege and authority.

If that's one's sole reason for sticking with BDUs up until the suspense date, they really need to get their priorities in order.

I have ABU's, I'm just deciding to stay in BDU's until I promote to Spaatz and the phase out date becomes official.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Capmonkey on April 02, 2019, 06:53:25 PM
Quote from: TheSkyHornet on April 02, 2019, 06:36:51 PM

Correct.

I have ABU's, I'm just deciding to stay in BDU's until I promote to Spaatz and the phase out date becomes official.

Uh, okay?

What does that have to do with this topic?

Capmonkey

The fact that it was pointed out that individuals who are staying in BDU's until the suspense date solely for the purpose of wearing the Beret need to get their priorities in order... so I was simply stating MY reason.

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Capmonkey on April 03, 2019, 01:58:14 PM
The fact that it was pointed out that individuals who are staying in BDU's until the suspense date solely for the purpose of wearing the Beret need to get their priorities in order... so I was simply stating MY reason.

Random interjection noted.

Pace

And this has been fun yet again. If you need to meaningfully add to this thread, PM me.
Lt Col, CAP