Main Menu

There's an app for that...

Started by davidsinn, September 06, 2011, 12:32:40 AM

davidsinn

But only on Android. ;D

I dove headfirst into the world of Android just over a week ago and have already replaced everything I could do with my WinMo phone and gained so much more it's not even funny.

The main thing that will help me with my ES duties is using Back Country Navigator with CAP gridded sectionals loaded up on my SD card so I can run radios off in an aircraft. This program will allow me to record a GPS trace for geocoding pics after the fact. I can see what grid I'm in and what airports are nearby in case of a SHTF moment.

I have already put my unit's supply inventory into Google docs. It's not as pretty as my Access database but it's in the cloud and more easily accessible...right in the palm of my hand or on the FBO's PC.

I've added the unit calendar to Google so I can have it added to my agenda automatically. This isn't new for me, but I pull the unit's official email to my phone.

I'm working on creating sign in sheets to leverage the barcode scanning ability of my phone. So far it works but is slower than typing the CAPID on the computer so I think I might abandon it for now.

I've got weather, email, full unfettered web access(grandfathered unlimited plan from VZW) I can access the output of the phone's sensors three ways to Tuesday so if I ever need the ability, it's there. So far there is precious little I can't do that I've wanted to.

Granted some of that you can do with the iFruit phone, or whatever it's called >:D but I do not believe you can run CAP gridded charts on it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

wuzafuzz

Quote from: davidsinn on September 06, 2011, 12:32:40 AM
But only on Android. ;D

I dove headfirst into the world of Android just over a week ago and have already replaced everything I could do with my WinMo phone and gained so much more it's not even funny.

The main thing that will help me with my ES duties is using Back Country Navigator with CAP gridded sectionals loaded up on my SD card so I can run radios off in an aircraft. This program will allow me to record a GPS trace for geocoding pics after the fact. I can see what grid I'm in and what airports are nearby in case of a SHTF moment.

I have already put my unit's supply inventory into Google docs. It's not as pretty as my Access database but it's in the cloud and more easily accessible...right in the palm of my hand or on the FBO's PC.

I've added the unit calendar to Google so I can have it added to my agenda automatically. This isn't new for me, but I pull the unit's official email to my phone.

I'm working on creating sign in sheets to leverage the barcode scanning ability of my phone. So far it works but is slower than typing the CAPID on the computer so I think I might abandon it for now.

I've got weather, email, full unfettered web access(grandfathered unlimited plan from VZW) I can access the output of the phone's sensors three ways to Tuesday so if I ever need the ability, it's there. So far there is precious little I can't do that I've wanted to.

Granted some of that you can do with the iFruit phone, or whatever it's called >:D but I do not believe you can run CAP gridded charts on it.
You can even carry spare batteries for your Android phone!    ;)
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

JeffDG

If it was an iFruit app, they'd tell you that CAP sectionals are not appropriate, and supply you with their own sectionals that are immensely better (yet only supported on the iFruit platform) because they were stolen from Xerox by Steve Jobs himself.