Main Menu

Encampment stories

Started by Kal, March 28, 2008, 12:24:31 AM

Cap'n

That was the major issue, but from what I understand since this was a very unusual circumstance, he waived it. Which is why if something happens and it doesn't end up counting as a Basic Encampment, they will do what they can to make up the coursework so people can finish the credit. More to come on that, but currently it is counting as credit.

Struts

Best of luck to you and your family. But that will probably be the most memorable experience that you will have in CAP. CAP must be having a busy week out there in RMR and I hope it get resolved soon.

P.S. Congrats on getting your Wright Brothers! A ray of sunshine in this week for you.

Cap'n

Thank you, and yes, we are...But the entire city is pitching in to create places to stay for the evacuated families, and making sure they get food, clothes, etc, and also working to help put out the fires in any way that can.

And thank you! It just got put in today.

Extremepredjudice

Can the national commander do that?  ???
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Cap'n

Apparently; I just received a thorough confirmation from my unit commander clarifying the encampment did count, and every basic that attended is good to go.

a2capt

It's just a database, and a letter of justification along side a CAPF 20 / Encampment Report, and.. that's it. I'm quite sure that given the circumstances, if Florida were sinking and they had to cancel your event, you'd be taken care of, too.

...and pissant it is, too. What's most important here? That people are evacuated safely, first. Credit for time served? Great, do they have to? No. Given the circumstances, what does it hurt? Many times there are plans based on an encampment completion and with them only being offered annually, roughly...

I'm sure there will be follow up, and those who make the next step to staff an encampment or similar activity will be just fine.  50-60%.. and all the adventure with things above and beyond anyones control..

I'll tell you one thing. Credit for a class is the last thing on my mind, when I've looked outside and seen fire on the ridge line, and the skies have been dropping ash and smoked over for several days.  BTDT, not fun.

Makes a sugarcane fire look like a kid playing with matches. That's what we get to face living out west.

Extremepredjudice

I wasn't saying the encampment shouldn't be cancelled, or the cadet shouldn't be given credit.

I was just surprised the National commander could (seemingly) make a decision that goes again regulations... (80% rule and all)

Stay safe "out west" people

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Struts

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on June 27, 2012, 11:10:02 PM
I wasn't saying the encampment shouldn't be cancelled, or the cadet shouldn't be given credit.

I was just surprised the National commander could (seemingly) make a decision that goes again regulations... (80% rule and all)

Stay safe "out west" people
EP it doesn't really matter. COWG members have their homes on the line or gone and you are worried about going against regulations?

Edit: Just remembered one story of my basic. When we had a fire drill at encampment in the middle of the night I kept wondering why my roommate was wearing different footwear than he usually did. After we got back in I realized I had put on his sneakers instead of mine which explained a lot  ::)

MajorPayne

At my encampment, we were forming up outside of our barracks to get ready to go the the last day banquet when a cadet in my flight walks over and gets into the formation. His flight cap is completely off center and is tilted to far the the side. The first sgt says, "Harkins... world war two is over, put you cover on strait". The whole flight including myself got a nice chuckle.
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

COL Land

We have an Army Cadet - the son of a soldier - whose family has lost everything...house and all contents.  The recruit does not know that yet, at the request of his parents.   

We will be keeping him here on scholarship through to the end of the summer, and may even be keeping him for Forest Hill Military Academy, which opens in August.   

It's a difficult time for many right now. 
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

PHall

On a lighter note, California Wing graduated 213 basic cadets from their Encampment today at Camp San Luis Obispo, California.

MajorPayne

Quote from: PHall on July 01, 2012, 05:43:50 AM
On a lighter note, California Wing graduated 213 basic cadets from their Encampment today at Camp San Luis Obispo, California.
I was one of those 213 in California Wing
"There is no limit to what a man can do or where he can go, if he doesnt mind who gets the credit."
Ronald Reagan

C/CMSgt Payne
Charlie Flight Commander
Group 7 CAC represenative

Extremepredjudice

I just remembered this one.

My basic encampment I arrived exactly at the opening of inprocessing (first guy through). So I go through the check in process, contraband, etc. I walk out to my flight's guidon, and the line staff make me stand there. At attention. For 3 hours. No one else in my flight showed up during the 2 hour check in window. They didn't want to bring only one cadet over to the barracks.

Doesn't help it was freezing cold (winter encampment).

The line staff had fun asking me questions because I was "louder than all the other flights."

And I missed PT while I was standing there...  :'(

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

Huey Driver

EDIT: Okay, okay guys! ...Just reposted from the "CAP Memes" Facebook page.  ::)
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Eclipse

Um...yeah.

An encampment SE's sole responsibility in a matter like this is knowing where the exits are and advising the commander when the activity should be
moved or shut down.

In this case, Logisitics and Admin had a much longer week than Safety.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

SarDragon

He's from NJ. He can't help it.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Huey Driver

Quote from: SarDragon on July 03, 2012, 12:34:12 AM
He's from NJ. He can't help it.  >:D

See what you did there, right?  >:D <-- Jersey Devil? No? Haha

PS: See my earlier edit.
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

C/Haughey

This one time, at encampment... :P

A C/Officer saw a Florida Panther and decided to chase it!!     Best safety briefing I've ever heard the next morning  ;D

FLWG Winter Encampment, 2011-12
Foxtrot Flight Guidon
C/2nd Lt Haughey
Cadet Commander, 089th MACS

C/Lt Col, AFJROTC
Cadet Commander, FL-20056